2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Women's Short Program | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Women's Short Program

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that many here are rooting against Russian ladies skaters (although only few openly "almost admit" this). You can rejoice - if they make a mistake, the Russian media are merciless to them, there is already a title - "Russian ladies skaters were defeated in the short program for the first time in two years!". Defeated.. :palmf:
Right or wrong, that’s the constant pressure the Russian ladies are under. It’s win or bust.

The media will praise them to high heavens when they win, and tear them apart when they lose. It’s just the way it is. The Russian girls are prepared for that.

And if you look at it objectively, they lost the short to an in form skater. It’s not that big an upset if you analyze it properly. In my mind I had Loena finishing 2nd in the SP going in.

It’s a sport, there are going to be setbacks and times where your opponent plays better and wins. You just need to say fair play in that case.

Setbacks can be good if you respond correctly. When your back is against the wall, the champions find another gear they didn’t know they had.

And the people that cover the sport need to be better prepared. The Russian press had Liu as a bigger threat to Russians than the Belgian. They got that one wrong.

The press lives for hysteria and hyperbole. The girls know that and will just focus on their work.

As for the pocket that roots against the Russians, let them celebrate because the Russian girls have been causing them misery way way way more than they have been causing them joy. When you been on the wrong end of defeats for 2 years, frustration mounts.

Last edited:

Dawn825

Medalist
I'm glad I didn't skip work to watch this event, as it was kind of boring. Loena was solid, had a nice ending with the step sequence, I'm happy that she's in first. Maiia left almost no impression on me, except negative ones for her combo and "I" spin. I feel bad for Anna for missing the combo, I hope she doesn't get too down herself. Her skating looks quite small, particularly in the step sequence, and while she's know for being musical, I did notice that when the music picks up after her first spin and before the combo, she isn't doing anything to reflect it.

Zora

On the Ice
Loena was fantastic! I often question her music choices. 😅 But during her performance I thought, how much better does she have to skate to get a score similar to the Russian skaters without 3A? And I'm happy she scored well, I would have seen her even a bit higher.

I'm one of the few who loooves Anna's dress, I think it's spectacular. I also really love her music choice, it's interesting. She was good besides the combo, but to me her posture is a bit inferior to Kamila's. Tiny things, like how she always drops her back before she goes into a spiral, how she uses her arms, how she sometimes over-arches her back, there's something about it I don't like.

Maiia's toe-pick is really weird, she picks in sideways? Otherwise she was good. Mihara is skating pretty to pretty music, but she isn't actually interpretating the music that well, just in the step sequence. So I agree with Maiia being being in front of her.

I loooved Eun-So Lim's program and expression! Maybe not on Yuna's level yet, but very close. It was really nice to see a performance like this. Yelim Kim on the other hand wastes her potential a bit by skating rather expressionlessly, I think.

Who think like me that Anna Scherbakova should go in this direction with her dress like example Madison Chock : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw9zxmvRQOI

For me Anna program should be a mix of gold and green color, it would be awesome and would suit the SP program better :)
I am not sure that Anna could pull it off. Anna is not Madison Chock, after all. :)

But Anna will be fine. A little problem on the combo, but the LP will tell the tale.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Loena was the star of the short program. I much preferred the judging here in Italy. I’m so glad Satoko was rewarded with a good PCS score here. Also, the judges really liked Lim, who remains close despite a fall. Interested to see how it pans out in the free skate.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I managed to watch most of the performances. Loena is the highlight. She is my favorite non-Russian skater who was lowballed during the last WC. Sorry fans of Japanese, Korean, and American ladies. She combines power, grace, and style. It is such a rare combination. Maia deserves to be second. It was surprising to have such spot on judging. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I managed to watch most of the performances. Loena is the highlight. She is my favorite non-Russian skater who was lowballed during the last WC. Sorry fans of Japanese, Korean, and American ladies. She combines power, grace, and style. It is such a rare combination. Maia deserves to be second. It was surprising to have such spot on judging. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
If she is able to get a medal at the OLY, hope she has a good agent because she is a marketers’ dream.

Lzbee

Final Flight
Okay I've just watched the competition. It was generally well skated but the level was A LOT lower than Skate Canada even though the scores outside of the top 2 at SCI are in the same range as here.

It seems like this tech panel forgot that edge calls and q's exist. The scores are about right if we go by previous standards but this is unfair for those who were Skate Canada.

Loena was amazing, I'm glad the judges went for her and what a great birthday present to be first in the SP. It's still a long shot for her to get higher than bronze but she's put herself in a good position in case Maiia or Anna falter tomorrow.

I love Maiia's SP but she did look less into it today than last time. Probably just GP debut nerves but she'll need to hold it together tomorrow as she is within reach of the gold. Can she handle being the front runner?

Unpopular opinion but I actually love Anna's SP. My favourite part is the sand blowing intro and then there's the whirling winds in the step sequence. She had some troubles today but her score is still good but I would not have given positive GOE for that combo at all. -2 seems about right and that would put her about 1.5 less. In this case, it matters because it's very different going into the FP in 6th Vs 3rd. Her PCS was about right for me tbh.

I never "got" the Satoko hype but I think I'm starting to now? The performance was great but I can't watch her jumps in slow mo, the pre-rotation is just... yeah... That said, her Lutz edge is looking good!

Mai was lovely and I'm so glad she got over 70 buuuut I feel like she had a UR/q that was uncalled. (Tbh Satoko's UR probably should have been a downgrade)

I love Eunsoo's program! She skated the step sequence with so much conviction and she was really fast. Totally deserved good PCS. Again, I want a fan before but she's winning me over! Such a shame about the fall but she's still within reach of 4th place if she skates well tomorrow.

Poor Yelim, I think the pressure got to her but I do love how much the Korean women are channeling Yuna Kim this season. Yelim with her huge jumps, Eunsoo with the Tango (that dress reminded of Yuna right away) and Young You with Les Mis. Hoping to see Yelim's huge 3Lz-3T tomorrow.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
I'm a fan of Loena from the time when she was a novice. It was a long and tough journey for her. And for me, of course. I'm so happy now. I understand, that 1 place after SP is nothing, but still it's a lot.
She is 22. She if from Belgium. And she ahead of world champion and other ladies with titles. I hope many ladies across the world will see it as a chance not to end their carrier at 17.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Catching up on the ladies! (Although SBS has dilly-dallied so I've gone to India to watch).

Carolina! 🥰

Simon seems to have misplaced the "ber" from Anna's name. I also noticed he pronounced Daria's last name with a "ova", but isn't it "eva" that's how it's spelt? :scratch2:

Also Simon doesn't know Danny G by sight?! He keeps calling him Sergei D. I feel Danny would be offended if he knew. :laugh2:

I kinda got into the Classical Paint it Black nice work!

Wow Lucrezia's dress is lovely! I'm glad she got her combo in :)

Goooo Mai! Keep dreaming that dream! She is! What a lovely skater! She floats over the ice! Lovely costume and hair piece.

Maiia! I'm a big fan of her and her costume. She's really grown into this program and really sells it :) She looks great! Into first!

Nicole Schott, I haven't seen her in an age... And hey a Tango!

Lara - Nice music and another great save on the combo, I wonder how long it takes Junior skaters to get used to the fact that there's no mandatory solo jump in Senior SPs so they can do that :)

Those KnC seats look uncomfortable...as do the stadium seats, are they?

Second group now! Go Sofia! Go Eunsoo! But wow Sofia's only 19?
As an aside, am I the only one bothered by the extreme closeup-fadeout beginning?
Nope me too, especially if the skater starts looking up because then it zooms right into the nose and it's awkward as Heck :laugh:

OK...keep calm it's Sofia time!

Oh yeah I get this song stuck in my head :laugh2:

Sofia's jumps might not work, but I love how she performs! So sassy! Love the phoneography!

But oh no! Is she crying? Poor Sofia, my heart is so sad for her :( Simon is being an ass, like if you're going to comment on skating at least keep up with the skaters. Sofia has been having a horrible time ever since Worlds 2019. Leave her alone.

It feels like Sofia's really lost the confidence that pushed her to play spoiler in 2018-19, probably in no small part due to the flurry of UR calls that appeared after she won Euros.
Yes! I have trouble believing she went that bad that fast. Which is why I can't help feeling like being Euro Champion was anything but good. It almost seems like a cruel joke now. I know if I was her, I would have ceased to believe I actually deserved that win long, long ago.

Eunsoo! She has the tango-face down pat! Shame about the fall, but she totally killed it!

Happy Birthday Loena! And what a great birthday present to herself! She's on fire today! Now I heard on the men's thread she had a humdinger and is in 1st? Waits to see score...And she is!! Wow!! When has a non-Russian lady ever been at the top after an SP in a competition with Russians in attendance? Seems like forever!

Satoko time! Lovely as always. I do wonder what sort of skater she'd be if she'd been able to jump her natural way - clockwise. She is a little sparrow though.

Yelim - Green dress appreciation! But ow that Lutz fall. Nice fight though. Score seems low :(

Finally Anna. Still not sure what to make of her dress though... Nice attack on the step sequence though! Shame about the combo. The music sounds familiar though. But wow into 3rd...

But wow! Loena! Congratulations! Tomorrow will tell, but talk about a surprise!

Almost afraid to read the rest of the thread, but YOLO :p

Country
Norway
I rewatched Annas SP and that she even got a +GOE on the combo is the big mystery of the evening (but really not, because you know judging, ey?). But I tried to replay the combo several times as they didn´t show it in the replay (which also seems suspicious), and it seems very clear the other foot touched the ice on the lutz, and that should at least get a negative GOE, maybe even checked for a possible q.

On another note, Annas SP is growing on me, I think it´s interesting and unique!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nope, it's "ova".
Those sneaky Russians... I'm still not over the fact "enko" sounds like "enka". :laugh2: But then we Aussies love our 'O's.

There is a subtle difference between "eva" and "ova" right? Otherwise why the difference in spelling?

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loena is on fire! What a great birthday skate, and happy birthday to her! That Ina Bauer into 2A was marvellous, looked effortless, and she had a fantastic step sequence, beautiful fast spins, and such solid jumps. She made such good use of her upper body throughout as well. Also, props to the costume design with the star burst at the point where the front and back cut outs meet - that was pretty neat and creative.

No props to the camera operator for the weird slow zoom on her eyes at the very start of the programme though.
She does have beautiful eyes though...