2022 Olympics: Men's Free Skate | Page 92 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Free Skate

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brown being 6th in results says everything about the level of the whole men´s event :(.
Jason Brown has placed top 7 at 3 World Championships and now at the Olympics. This event and placement was not an anomaly for him; in 2015, he was 4th in the World and 7th at the 2017 and 2021 Worlds. The international judges recognize his quality, talent and world class PCS; quads be damned. If it’s acceptable that Trusova can receive medal placements while completely ignoring the PCS component in skating, then it should be acceptable that Jason can place top 7 without a quad.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Jason Brown has placed top 7 at 3 World Championships and now at the Olympics. This event and placement was not an anomaly for him; in 2015, he was 4th in the World and 7th at the 2017 and 2021 Worlds. The international judges recognize his quality, talent and world class PCS; quads be damned. If it’s acceptable that Trusova can receive medal placements while completely ignoring the PCS component in skating, then it should be acceptable that Jason can place top 7 without a quad.
And I'll add to that - per Johnny Weir looking at protocols last night - Jason got 20 points in GOE. That's 2 quads right there. He works the scoring system to his advantage.

Erin9

On the Ice
Just watched the free. I’m so happy for Nathan! What an athlete! It was so nice to see him smile and let loose in his final step sequence. What a joy that was to watch. I had a tear in my eye when he finished.
He said he wanted to enjoy this Olympics. It sure looked like he did just that. It was wonderful to see him let loose and enjoy the moment.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say that this has been one of the most enjoyable men's Olympic skating events ever. I just kept seeing each skater come out and thinking oh I like him for something special that he brings. Yes there were some nerves and some mistakes but this is the Olympics with a lot of honor and pride and pressure. Thank you guys for a great show!

princessalica

Final Flight
Did anyone else notice that Nathan's 5th place score from 2018 would have gotten him a bronze in 2022? I realize that the point system has been modified, but still thought it was interesting. I just remembered that all of the medalists in 2018 were over 300 composite. I really enjoyed watching this event.

brigit66

On the Ice
I must be only one annoyed by Yuzu and his excuses and/or victim personality. If everything is going according to the plan ,he is amused , but when he flops he blames everything else and he makes people feel sorry for him. He loves attention , thats for sure.
Today again he had problem with salchow, so it was caused by a hole, too? There were no deep hole(like twitter fans say) two days ago. But now it is an ankle and "injury". But if you have an injury you dont try to do multiple 4A on practises, especially when you underrotate it every single time. 4 years ago he had an injury too before olys, but everything ended well for him so it was advantage : he won with previous injury, now it is: he lost because he had injury

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
And I'll add to that - per Johnny Weir looking at protocols last night - Jason got 20 points in GOE. That's 2 quads right there. He works the scoring system to his advantage.
Jason is awesome and totally deserves his accolades, but Johnny may be being a bit dramatic in that statement. Don’t all the top men get over 20 points in GOE? The higher the base value of the element, the more points are awarded, right?

mskater93

Record Breaker
4122424530_f2643b1540.jpg

I am dead.
I thought the same...

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I must be only one annoyed by Yuzu and his excuses and/or victim personality. If everything is going according to the plan ,he is amused , but when he flops he blames everything else and he makes people feel sorry for him. He loves attention , thats for sure.
Today again he had problem with salchow, so it was caused by a hole, too? There were no deep hole(like twitter fans say) two days ago. But now it is an ankle and "injury". But if you have an injury you dont try to do multiple 4A on practises, especially when you underrotate it every single time. 4 years ago he had an injury too before olys, but everything ended well for him so it was advantage : he won with previous injury, now it is: he lost because he had injury
I don't know what he'll do after retiring, he seems to be obsessed with having challenges and being the best, the first, always having a great focus and aim. Nathan is more chill. :) But sometimes in life you have to learn to let go and not always win at something. Most of the times you learn it the hard way. He also needs to take care of his health.

Krislite

Medalist
Congrats to Nathan, Yuma and Shoma! Well deserved. I was relieved to see Nathan win that Olympic gold medal decisively, knowing the pressure from being so dominant since 2018, it felt like it had to happen or it would have been quite the tragedy (I did not want to go through another Michelle Kwan-esque scenario).

While he performed the Rocketman LP more cleanly in the 2019 GPF, the jump layout here was superior. The highlight for me was that perfect quad lutz in the middle of the program, timed to the glorious build up and release in the music, then leading right into the step sequence. It just delivers far more punch than having his scratchy 3Axel puntuate that moment. It’s not surprising it got pretty much all +5 from the judges.