2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I thought it was hilarious that they thought P/C would be above them on the strength of.....Andrew's costume, which they found "distracting". It makes it hard to take them seriously. Also making it hard to take them seriously was their attempt to compare scores between here and Euros.

Yes, those comments were funny. Eurosport has mostly good coverage but I find Simon & Nicky lacking knowledge about ice dance especially. P/C's program is fluid & mesmerizing; they are the new "it" team, but W/P are at a completely different level.

rain

Record Breaker
Yes, those comments were funny. Eurosport has mostly good coverage but I find Simon & Nicky lacking knowledge about ice dance especially. P/C's program is fluid & mesmerizing; they are the new "it" team, but W/P are at a completely different level.

Whatever happens, I highly doubt it's going to come down to anybody's costume. And during the program they were very complementary W/P's skating.

katia

On the Ice
What you're saying is that people here are so superficial that they base their own opinion of a program on a team's popularity and success? I'm sorry but I have a much higher opinion of people's ability on here to evaluate a program for themselves.
I am not sure about superficial, but @rain is somewhat right. I also seen it on this board, and not only on this board.
As for W/P, they have quite a good program and they have progressed for a long time. I think that this year they are just trying to perfect the moves they had trouble with. And next year they will try something new.
I would not be so certain that next year other pairs will get ahead of them.

dcnative

On the Ice
I think that the British commentators got it right when they said "that's interesting" after W/P won the event.

Bue

Rinkside
I thought it was hilarious that they thought P/C would be above them on the strength of.....Andrew's costume, which they found "distracting". It makes it hard to take them seriously. Also making it hard to take them seriously was their attempt to compare scores between here and Euros.

Indeed. Nicky Slater is hysterical but maddening to listen to because he is still living in a 6.0 world and knows essentially nothing about COP. He masks this fact by spending over 50% of his commentary time discussing packaging and costuming choices. If it were up to him, the gold at Worlds would actually be awarded based on the length of a sleeve! Last season he went on and on at every comp about how one of the men (I think it was Scott Moir) should be wearing a tux jacket in the SD... this kind of thing makes it extremely hard to take anything he says seriously. Chris Howarth is much better and more knowledgeable despite not being an ice dancer.

slider11

Medalist
Maybe that's why I love them. They comment on the package not on the accumulation of points.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I felt the scores here easier to digest in comparison to Europeans. Maybe its a case that we always become suspicious at Europeans with the judging.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ice dance, though a sport, has an unfortunate reputation for....let me say being influenced by judging based on perception.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I noticed that Chock/Bates had a small problem with their twizzles. It appeared they drifted slightly apart and then came back together. Did they lose a level for that? Or would that type of small error result in slightly lower GOEs?

The Shibs also had a twizzle problem (Alex), and that must have had an impact on their score. I'm still trying to learn how to read the dance protocols so can someone tell me how the element is shown on the protocol? Would Alex's error cost them a level? How about GOE's?

Thanks for any help!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
[SUP][/SUP]Chock & Bates were doing crossing twizzles which, as a difficult feature, helps get them a level, actually.

Yes the Shibs lost a level in the FD. And the judges noticed something off, too, not just the tech panel, because their GOE is lower than they would usually receive.

Here's the Shibs' list of elements from their protocol.

SlLi4 Straight line Lift level 4
RoLi4 Rotaational lift level 4
CiSt3 Circular Step level 3
CoSp4 Combination Spin level 4
CuLi4 Curve Lift level 4
STw3 Sequential Twizzles level 3
DiSt3 Diagonal Step level 3
ChLi1 Choreographic Lift level 1

They could have done a ChSp1, a Choreographic Spin level 1, for a 0.3 higher base level, but the spinning movement must go with the music or it will receive negative GOE's. Not every team wants the risk.

Other step sequence choices are MiSt Midline Step, which Paul and Islam used, and SeSt Serpentine Step, which Gilles and Poirier used.

If a team chooses to do a 12 second lift instead of two separate 6 second lifts, the 12 second lift shows up with a plus beetween the two parts of the long lift, like CuLi4+SlLi4. Hirai and De La Asuncion of Japan did one.

Another type of lift that no one at 4cc's did is a StaLi (Stationary Lift). Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN of Denmark, ninth place in the Euros FD, do one.
A spin can be Sp4 as well as CoSp4, depending on whether the team changes feet as well as spin direction in the second half of the spin or not. Gilles and Poirier do an Sp4.

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks Doris. I had figured out a few of the abbreviations for the dance elements, but your explanation really helps. I am going to print this out and then go over some of the protocols. For me dance is based mostly on what I like, however I did think Chock/Bates had a lot of speed and the Shibs not as much. I had no idea :shocked: there even was such a thing as crossing twizzles.

Thanks for the help!

KKonas

Medalist

Not that I agree with Nicky Slater all the time, but he is a former British ice dance champion w/Karen Barber (84-85) and won a bronze medal at Euros in 1983, so to say that he is lacking knowledge about ice dance especially is silly.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Not that I agree with Nicky Slater all the time, but he is a former British ice dance champion w/Karen Barber (84-85) and won a bronze medal at Euros in 1983, so to say that he is lacking knowledge about ice dance especially is silly.

If they want to brong another ice dancer in to commentate- Mark Henretty. He was great at Cup of China.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Have either of the Kerrs ever done commentary?

Dont think so but i would love to see them do commentary. They would definitely provide unique insights.
In saying that, the rules in ice dance have changed alot season to season. Its never easy to keep up with those ISU communications (with all their confusing phrasings of sentences)...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That is an interesting thought. I will have a think about it.

Score wise, the French team's scores have grown very quickly and their Total Score is higher than what Kaitlyn and Andrew Produced this weekend. All I know for sure is that it is going to be a close contest in Shanghai.

Ice dancing still has me very perplexed. I do think we remember there are tes and pcs. But while I would for example have had D and W higher than V and M for pcs generally speaking I do believe almost always the pcs should be higher for V and M. I still cannot see the kindness and love show to Chock and Bates. I do think P and C coud win this year. Whether they deserve it I don't know. It would be sad, but that is life if W and P lose yet another close one. I mean Italy was so so so lucky to walk away with a gold. These teams C and P, W and P, P and C, the italians are the weakest medal contenders in a long time. They just don't have the excitement or cache of yester year champions.