2015 JGP Cup of Austria Ladies FS Sep 11 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Cup of Austria Ladies FS Sep 11

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I like Wakababy's FS very much, there are many highs and lows and nuances in it besides 3lz-3lo. I wish Wakababy could have more outings this season to fulfill the complete potential of this program and her SP as well. :cheer:

witcher

Match Penalty
So glad Wakababy could bounce back. She doesn't look happy with her scores though. Can't blame her, she has a strong competitive spirit.
May I add that competitive spirit looks fabulous on her pretty face in K&C? :biggrin::love:

oleada

Record Breaker
Sakhanovich is probably more than a maybe, considering her record. Polina, Maria and Mai, yes. Didn't Kaori come in 6th at her first event? And we don't know how Yuna will do in a deeper field...it's opener than I originally thought.

Sakamoto was 2nd in RIga. I only say "maybe" in regards to Serafima as she has been shifted from event to event and her form wasn't great at the St Petersburg Cup. But she's my pick to make it. Shiraiwa has a huge advantage in having a gold medal - even if she finishes 5th at her second event, she'll come out ahead in the tiebreaker vs Le and Choi. But I don't think she will finish 5th :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
Sakamoto was 2nd in RIga. I only say "maybe" in regards to Serafima as she has been shifted from event to event and her form wasn't great at the St Petersburg Cup. But she's my pick to make it. Shiraiwa has a huge advantage in having a gold medal - even if she finishes 5th at her second event, she'll come out ahead in the tiebreaker vs Le and Choi. But I don't think she will finish 5th :)

True. Actually, doesn't Marin Honda have a chance to make it?

oleada

Record Breaker
True. Actually, doesn't Marin Honda have a chance to make it?

She does but unfortunately for Marin her score is the lowest of all the silver medalists. She is up a against Serafima, Wakaba (who knows if she will keep this event; I guess she will) and Proklova in Croatia.

FS_rrb

On the Ice
Very sad for Wakaba :-(. Anyway, despite her mistakes, I believe her excellent skating quality has not been rewarded appropriately by judges. She may not be the most elegant skater out there, and her posture needs some improvement, but she's definitely a strong competitor, skates with great speed and flow and presents her programs with tons of energy and fierceness. A judge gave her 5.75 in skating skills, which is absolutely ridiculous, to say the least.

Congratulations to Maria, although I'm not the biggest fan of hers. Yes, she's an elegant skater, has good presence and looks very mature for her age but she is extremely slow, too much for my taste. I'm sorry, I can't help it...at some points her programs have no flow at all, it's almost static. I was at last year's GPF and I can tell that she was by far the slowest skater of all (Wakaba being the fastest), which is something quite annoying at some points. I'm not trying to bash her, but I honestly think that she should try to improve in this department. I doubt she will get this kind of scores in the future skating like this.

Anyway, congratulations to the three medalist and let's hope Wakaba skates lights out at her next competition. However, being realistic, making the JGPF right now seems quite unrealistic.

tikse

Rinkside
Random tidbit.
Higuchi has got insane 12.73 for her second-half 3Lz-3T. That's too generous I think.
Tsurskaya's got 12.23 for the same second-half combination and I think Polina's 3Lz-3T is better than Wakaba's

FSGMT

Record Breaker
How on Earth could Sotskova's 3-3 not be UR is beyond my understanding, it evidently looked cheated without slow-motion :scratch: Despite that, superb performance and well-deserved win Masha :clap:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Random tidbit.
Higuchi has got insane 12.73 for her second-half 3Lz-3T. That's too generous I think.
Tsurskaya's got 12.23 for the same second-half combination and I think Polina's 3Lz-3T is better than Wakaba's

Wakaba is one of the best jumpers in the world, her 3lz-3t was incredibly high, perfect technique, rotation, flow, etc. 1.40 goe (+2) is adequate, imo.

samm22

On the Ice
Random tidbit.

Nope just nope....I have to say that I disagree.

FS_rrb

On the Ice
How on Earth could Sotskova's 3-3 not be UR is beyond my understanding, it evidently looked cheated without slow-motion :scratch: Despite that, superb performance and well-deserved win Masha :clap:

No doubt it was UR, by almost 1/2 turn. But I agree, well deserved victory in spite of that.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Provocative question: have we overhyped Wakaba before the season? :rolleye:

(I considered her the only real contender for World Championship against Russians)

I do think that she was overhyped last season because there was no one else who could get in the vicinity of Medvedeva and Sakhanovich and even beat Sotskova. Everybody expected a breakthrough this season. So far I see the same stuff albeit with a new 3Z-3Lo combo. Empty choreo, mediocre spins, good jumps when she makes them. Her pcs seems about right.

Mia is reliable but so boring to watch. I root for Marin this season. For one thing, she has some powerful presence - I see future queen qualities in her.

And Da Bin Choi was a nice surprise. She was underscored in pcs vs. Mia - that's how I think. She feels the music and also has a very nice presence. If So Yun Park fails to start to deliver Da Bin Choi looks like the main hope for Korea. I enjoyed her skating tonight.

And, of course, congratulations to Maria. Still cannot say that I like her LP after the magic Magic Woman but she is a legitimate winner here.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think I must have been spoiled by Medvedeva (and Serafima to some extent) last season but I'm finding it difficult to really like any of the girls this season. Maybe i'm being too harsh on them. It's either they can jump but barely do anything else or they have great skating skills but are inconsistent with their jumps. Not saying anything bad about the winners here but the quality of their collective programs didn't inspire me much. Maybe it will be better at the next event.

tikse

Rinkside
Wakaba is one of the best jumpers in the world, her 3lz-3t was incredibly high, perfect technique, rotation, flow, etc. 1.40 goe (+2) is adequate, imo.

Nope just nope....I have to say that I disagree.

Wakaba is a quality jumper allright. But in this particular example she's got overscored or, may be, Polina was underscored.
Wakaba's entry was simpler, she does not have Polina's slight rotation delay. Polina also had her free leg well extended on 3T exit. Overall Polina's 3Lz-3T was better. You may agree to disagree ofc.

andyjo24

Medalist
Sotskova's solo 3LZ also looks UR on slow no replay upon rewatching... Would this become a problem in the future?

burntBREAD

Medalist
Wakaba's 3Lz-3Lo was insane. She didn't even need the quarter turn on the -3Lo; that was nearly 100% backwards!

Lipea

Final Flight

Indeed she had at least two jumps UR, which was pretty obvious on slow motion. That even was reflected on her GOEs (usually she gets more points for her 3Lz-3T combination). However, that performance was so strong, expressive and beautiful overall that she with no doubt deserved her gold.

noidont

Final Flight
Higuchi looks distinctively post-injury and not having done enough run-thru prior to the competition. Her form will come back later in the season, but puberty seems to be affecting her this season. Her jumps are not as big as last season. I'm not a fan of this Mihara girl, but she is rock solid.

I do not however get Sotskova's LP. Rafael A.'s wife did the choreo? What is this program trying to do?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Sotskova's solo 3LZ also looks UR on slow no replay upon rewatching... Would this become a problem in the future?
No, I don't think so: under-rotating has never been a problem for her, and it probably happened just by chance. She has solid technique and stable jumps, as a fan I'm not worried