2015 Trophée Bompard Ice Dance SD | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2015 Trophée Bompard Ice Dance SD

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well I loved that SD from Madison and Zach and K.D. Lang's version of that song is one of my favorites.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yes, she and Zach really didn't have a lot of training time before the 14/15 season. Their FD didn't truly work last season, but it might have been better if they hadn't lost so much time due to her recovery. I think she also had a concussion before the season as well, so that cut in to training time as well. I think they're going to start moving up this season.

I certainly hope so!:luv17:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I thought H&D were great, well deserved leaders!

I can't deal with G&P's costumes and ending pose, I dont think it's possible to be more literal. It'd be like if Julia wore a Vegas Elvis suit in her short. I also don't get the idea that they're edgy, they remind me of someone's 13 year old sister trying too hard to be edgy, comes off a bit eye rolly to me.

The ending pose is (more than) a bit cheesy but everything else seems to be on point. I wouldn't necessarily say they were going for edgy - more like they are going for fun. As far as I read, the original concept of the program was to do a very traditional dance with very inappropriate costumes and it sort of evolved into that Beatles program.
And while I can't say "we are going to use inappropriate costumes" strikes me as a great starting point, I really do admire (and even love) the end result. I even adore the costumes. A matter of taste, I guess.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I found the last 3 (C/B, H/D, G/P) all skated and performed quite cautiously. Carefully. No mistakes in twizzles but also no attack. Lifts executed but matter of factly and not really to the music. Should standing 3 inches above the ice on your partner's boots be categorized as level 4?
PSS patterns looked like a lot "walking" in skates, not "dancing" or "marching"

You know, it seemed that way to me too. I was really surprised. Maybe everyone wanted to go clean in hopes to place ahead since there are no clear favourites here?

noskates

Record Breaker
Umm, pretty sure it was Leonard Cohen who originally did "Hallelujah" and he's Canadian (from Montreal). Really wish they used his version.

Leonard Cohen wrote Hallelujah but I believe it was Jeff Buckley who recorded it. I think my favorite version is K.D. Lang's.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
G/P's short dance? Tanith said it was too easy during the Skate America commentary.
I wonder if vids with her commentary are uploaded on youtube
Id really like to watch them & listen to her

Stepanova/Bukin were disadvantaged by skating so early in my opinion
TAT's thoughts as well

I'll wake up in time, don't worry :laugh: But I'm planning to skip the men!
good then!
honestly I planned to skip as well but I have obligations to be faithful to Joubert:p

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Good Lord, the first Christmas commercial. Someone take the advertising agency responsible for this out back and kill it.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I think with S/B you also have to take into account the tougher situation in Russia compared to last year: They could do rather well for themselves because there was a void with B/S injured and S/K struggling so much. Now B/S are back and S/K seem to have found their groove. The international judges probably also take that into account, their score here was a bit lower than what I/Z, B/S and S/K posted (and B/S, I/Z and S/K all skated early in their events as well). I know you can't compare directly between events, but IMO you can perhaps perceive trends how the judges perceive the Russian pairs in relation to each other...

I think SB were scored the way they deserve. I always thought they were over-scored last year because Russia had nobody else to promote. Now with BS back and SK with their act together, it seems pretty clear to me (although I should wait till I see the FD scores, so...maybe I will have to eat my words) that international judges see the top 3 Russian teams are IZ, BS and SK and not necessarily in that order. I think all three teams have scored pretty close overall and it will be a fight come Nationals, assuming Russian judges see the matter in the same light. I think that the order at Nationals will be IZ, BS and SK, but, sorry IZ fans, I don't think IZ are a shoe in nor do I think they will be scoring 10 pts higher than the others.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:eek: I mean, I do love Buckley's the best. But... Alexandra Burke... Really?! :shocked:

Erm, there is a very good reason I picked Alex. I couldn't think of any other females that sung it! :laugh:

Buckley's is definitely the definitive version, though. Even better than Leonard Cohen's original (and I like Leonard Cohen!)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Leonard Cohen wrote Hallelujah but I believe it was Jeff Buckley who recorded it. I think my favorite version is K.D. Lang's.

Cohen did record "Hallelujah" himself, but it is very depressing to listen to in comparison to other versions (and that is coming from somebody that likes him!)

Buckley's cover is far better.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Ekm

On the Ice
The ending pose is (more than) a bit cheesy but everything else seems to be on point. I wouldn't necessarily say they were going for edgy - more like they are going for fun. As far as I read, the original concept of the program was to do a very traditional dance with very inappropriate costumes and it sort of evolved into that Beatles program.
And while I can't say "we are going to use inappropriate costumes" strikes me as a great starting point, I really do admire (and even love) the end result. I even adore the costumes. A matter of taste, I guess.

To each his own, I like fun, and I even enjoy camp, but this doesn't work for me at all. I think I get what they were going for, they just overshot the mark for me.

cornell08

Final Flight
Holy moly, Madi and Zach look so much more polished and precise!! So glad they went to Montreal :yay:

rustyskater

Rinkside
GP's ending pose embarrasses me for liking the sport. It cheapens the entire program. Congrats to HB! I though their SD was young and fresh. The move to Montreal is paying big dividends. Good for them!

blancanieves

On the Ice
Yes, she and Zach really didn't have a lot of training time before the 14/15 season. Their FD didn't truly work last season, but it might have been better if they hadn't lost so much time due to her recovery. I think she also had a concussion before the season as well, so that cut in to training time as well. I think they're going to start moving up this season.

They lost tons of time. 13/14 Season, concussion in June, diagnosis of hip labral tear in October. 14/15 season, hip surgery in March plus ensuing physical recovery.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I just had a watch of all the short dances.
I felt that Penny and Nick were under marked. They should be closer to Stepanova and Bukin.

Layback11

Record Breaker
GP's ending pose embarrasses me for liking the sport. It cheapens the entire program. Congrats to HB! I though their SD was young and fresh. The move to Montreal is paying big dividends. Good for them!

It's not THAT important, but it is a little scary the way they're staring maniacally at nobody...eek.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am totally unimpressed it was already a weak field. H and D maybe they know they need to win to grab the third American spot. G and P must feel horrible be beaten by the third or fourth Americans and they seem to be falling down the list. Too bad about P and C but it was the right decision but I till theink they knew for a while they weren't ready. They are lucky this year the teams and programs are weak. S and B aren't doing it for me really disappointing but he is still recovering.

sses1

On the Ice
H/D are skating better this season but its still a lackluster program for me. G/P didn't really improve from their last showing. S/B have good choreo but they're slow and that lift looked laboured. C/B were painful to watch. That program was very messy and the whole concept plus music is a big miss. Their height difference did them in here.

herios

Medalist
Impressive improvement for H & D since their early events this season, this was one of their best SD performances ever.
Is interesting how the skaters know how well they do, while they skate. They had a joyful moment of celebration on the ice, embracing while soak it all in. It was lovely altogether.

samson

Medalist
Hubbell and Donohue were just beautiful tonight. So happy to see the strides they've made since last season and also how much this program has grown from the beginning of this season. This is also the highest PCS they've ever achieved in a SD.