2015 Trophée Bompard Ladies SP | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2015 Trophée Bompard Ladies SP

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I really like this program for her but those stiff windmill arms are driving me nuts

andromache

Record Breaker
Just rewatched Gracie's program. Love the sass she brought on the ice. She's obviously not a natural at emoting and interpreting music, but she's really improved since last year. :hap10:

Matilda

Medalist
It is ridiculous for him to say how something feels in the arena if he is not in the arena.

I bet Johnny would not have appreciated a commentator making a similar criticism about Johnny's skating if the commentator had not been in the arena.

I have to disagree on that. Coaches always talk about performing to the rafters and what a choreography looks to the audience, so skaters are tuned to think in those terms, whether they are in ten audience or not. I really don't find it problematic at all. But hey, that's how I see it--others are free to disagree :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have to disagree on that. Coaches always talk about performing to the rafters and what a choreography looks to the audience, so skaters are tuned to think in those terms, whether they are in ten audience or not. I really don't find it problematic at all. But hey, that's how I see it--others are free to disagree :)

I understand that performing for the last row in the balcony is a conceptual thing for people in show biz -- and likewise in skating.

The problem is that Johnny's wording and tone came across to me as if he fully intended to speak literally about that particular arena.
(And as a veteran of many comps and shows, he would be well aware that the same repertoire can feel different both to the performer and to the audience depending on the particular night, the venue, etc.)

If he had chosen his words to convey that his reference to the arena were conceptual in nature, it would not have bothered me as it did.
But IMO, he quite deliberately was trying to be literal.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC is showing the Ladies SP right now.

And Johhny and Tara are quite brutal on Angela. :hopelessness:

Johnny was way off base in his comments about Angela. There was nothing wrong with her choreography (and no need to throw shade on Rachael Flatt, either). Angela may not have the performance skills of the top ladies but she skated quite a nice program. The only thing she did wrong was double the second jump in her combo. That loop with the arms overhead was impressive!

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would still feel better if Gracie scored a 68 :p

I agree. I like Gracie, but I think her components score was a little high. In particular, I think her performance and interpretation are still a little stiff. I would hope she would gain enough confidence on her technical elements to skate with more freedom, but why should she when her scores are already so high?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Universal Sports is about to broadcast the ladies and Men's SP.in 1 minute. Hopefully we'll see TnT's amazing Bollywood program too!! :yay:

Anyone planning on watching?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
False alarm!!! My guide said that's what it would be but it's the Free Dance at CoC.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Roberta Rodeghiero was my favorite of who they showed on NBC.

She was good, such a progress compared to the last season. But I was distracted by her gloves & tights half way over the boots to the point that I could not enjoy her program. An Italian with no fashion sense ... a sigh..

Tutto

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She was good, such a progress compared to the last season. But I was distracted by her gloves & tights half way over the boots to the point that I could not enjoy her program. An Italian with no fashion sense ... a sigh..

That's funny. I'm more distracted by when skaters don't cover their boots. I'm always looking at the boots instead of their lines and wondering about why they look so beat up. Halfway over the boot is my favorite for sure. Not only for the look but most importantly the feel it provides. Not sure if you've ever skated with the the front half of your skates exposed (just the toes) but it has a certain aesthetic feel to it that I really like and provides a confidence with it.

Last edited:
^ It may give you confidence, but to me, tights over boots looks like you broke both your ankles -- really bad! -- and they never healed properly. :)

Tutto

Record Breaker
^ It may give you confidence, but to me, tights over boots looks like you broke both your ankles -- really bad! -- and they never healed properly. :)

:biggrin:
Roberta's half way over looks to me like old fashioned galoshes which is so funny with her evening dress, necklace & gloves