2015 Trophée Bompard Mens SP | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2015 Trophée Bompard Mens SP

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Mishin ever looked surprised or caught of guard?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max's outfit makes his upper half look like its out of proportion with his lower half. It's very off putting and makes his posture seem stiff and disconnected IMO. I usually don't care much to discuss costume design but when it makes you look disproportionate I think it might be a problem. What do I know though :slink:

His 3z was amazing. If I was going to ask for advice on a lutz he'd top my list. :thumbsup:

Johnny really didn't approve of the pre 3a Judge stare down. :laugh:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shomo's hair :love:

Shomo's music :love:

Shomo's skating :love:

Shomo is love!!!

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
So, I watched the men's SP again but couldn't understand how Kovtun's performance looking like a broken puppet was favored by some people. Ok, that may be their taste or be from finding an amusement in the farce, but his PCS score is way beyond ridiculous. His postures were awful, steps were faltering, all jump landings were messy. I don't see how he earned that score. In this regard, Dice Murakami with beautiful lines and interpretation on music was so underscored in PCS. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only caught the last half hour on NBC with Johnny, Tara and Tanith (no Terry or Tracey this week). Except for Johnny I suppose having your first name starting with T is a requirement to be on the team, lol. Did they mention why they were only showing the SPs? I am kind of surprised they went on with the broadcast - but I guess they had nothing else to fill the two hours?

Tara is so witty (not) - Shoma the Showman - will it stick? Still he was the best of out the bunch even though his music sounds like something you hear shopping at Uniqlo. He does sell the program.

Funny how they hated Kovtun's performance but I think the B Eurosport guys think it suits him. I'm kind of torn, I don't like the song, but I don't hate the program.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I only caught the last half hour on NBC with Johnny, Tara and Tanith (no Terry or Tracey this week). Except for Johnny I suppose having your first name starting with T is a requirement to be on the team, lol. Did they mention why they were only showing the SPs? I am kind of surprised they went on with the broadcast - but I guess they had nothing else to fill the two hours? ...

Jimmy Roberts of NBC gave a full intro and outro to the TEB coverage explaining that the comp was cancelled after the SPs and SD b/c of the Paris attacks; and explaining what might happen re GPF qualification; etc.

And Tracy Wilson in fact was part of today's NBC coverage.
She was on the ground in Bordeaux and conducted the NBC interviews with Gold and Chan.

One of the silver linings to the lack of free skates and FD is that NBC showed the SP from one pair (V/T) and one SD (H/D).

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
One of the silver linings to the lack of free skates and FD is that NBC showed the SP from one pair (V/T) and one SD (H/D).

TV coverage of TEB has been pretty good, with only short's to show. How often do you see so many SP/SD's from all four disciples on the major networks? :thumbsup:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only caught the last half hour on NBC with Johnny, Tara and Tanith (no Terry or Tracey this week). Except for Johnny I suppose having your first name starting with T is a requirement to be on the team, lol. Did they mention why they were only showing the SPs? I am kind of surprised they went on with the broadcast - but I guess they had nothing else to fill the two hours?

Tara is so witty (not) - Shoma the Showman - will it stick? Still he was the best of out the bunch even though his music sounds like something you hear shopping at Uniqlo. He does sell the program.

Funny how they hated Kovtun's performance but I think the B Eurosport guys think it suits him. I'm kind of torn, I don't like the song, but I don't hate the program.

I happen to like both Kovtun's program and the song. I'm a proud black sheep here.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I would just like to say how incredibly happy I am to hear that Tanith was doing commentary for NBC. It's about time!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I kind of despair for the audience appeal of ladies' figure skating going forward, if the men are going to skate like that.

The appeal of Men's Skating has risen quite a bit in Japan. I don't know the hard numbers, but just by looking at the attendance, it's about the same as the ladies. What about in other places like North America and Europe?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I would just like to say how incredibly happy I am to hear that Tanith was doing commentary for NBC. It's about time!

I can be wrong, but hasn't she worked for NBC for a couple of years?

Yes, Tanith has been working for NBC for quite a few years now.

As an aside, a lot of her NBC work has not been skating commentary or anything related to skating at all.
More like feature reporting -- and IIRC, even some hosting-type digital stuff for NBC. Most recently, she has been doing a lot of pre-Rio 2016 feature-y stuff for NBC.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Has Mishin ever looked surprised or caught of guard?

I once tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around and gaped in amazement before exclaiming "WHO IS THIS MIGHTY CHALLENGER THAT MIGHT DEFEAT MY PLUSHENKO?!?"

And then I woke up.

The appeal of Men's Skating has risen quite a bit in Japan. I don't know the hard numbers, but just by looking at the attendance, it's about the same as the ladies. What about in other places like North America and Europe?

In the U.S. interest in figure skating has all but disappeared. Traditionally, OK the men can do bigger jumps, but the ladies are graceful and give entertaining performances. To me, it seems like the men are more graceful and give far more entertaining performances these days than the ladies.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the U.S. interest in figure skating has all but disappeared. Traditionally, OK the men can do bigger jumps, but the ladies are graceful and give entertaining performances. To me, it seems like the men are more graceful and give far more entertaining performances these days than the ladies.

I could't agree with you more on the men's. The men's field appeal to me more because they're more likely to do programs to non-traditional music and give programs that make me entertained and happy. Like seems like they're more likely to do programs to pop and rock music and to totally DIG it. Which makes us dig it. You know?

And the ladies: A few gems out there, but they're more likely to be doing classical music. And too dainty. And trying to look graceful.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Yes, Tanith has been working for NBC for quite a few years now.

As an aside, a lot of her NBC work has not been skating commentary or anything related to skating at all.
More like feature reporting -- and IIRC, even some hosting-type digital stuff for NBC. Most recently, she has been doing a lot of pre-Rio 2016 feature-y stuff for NBC.

Thanks for the detailed answer, golden411icecoverage (what a name! :laugh:). It's interesting that Belbin has been advocating the 2016 summer Olympics, but her look could help to draw audience's attention I guess. But her specialty is still in Ice Dance, so ice dance fans would be pleased with the news about Belbin's commentary job at NBC. :)

Before Tanith started getting big-time national assignments, she had experience locally in Michigan and the Detroit area. For instance, she narrated a TV series about quaint little out-of-the-way towns in Michigan where you could go to the cider mill, visit a bee-keeping farm, watch the leaves turn color, etc.