2015 World Pairs Free Skate March 26 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2015 World Pairs Free Skate March 26

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'll hold you on that in the future, even for singles.:p

Singles is different than pairs. Pairs, high difficulty executed well tends to go hand in hand with high PCS. In singles, if you're not a good/popular skater it doesn't matter if you do 3 quads - the only way to increase your PCS is to continually give consistent performances. And then of course there's the untouchable echelon of de facto "highly artistic" skaters who will get high PCS regardless of how well they do (Chan/Hanyu/etc.).

Alba

Record Breaker
And then of course there's the untouchable echelon of de facto "highly artistic" skaters who will get high PCS regardless of how well they do (Chan/Hanyu/etc.).

I was referring to cases when a someone will win, despite being less strong in technique, because he/she has more "artistry", I'll remind you. ;) It doesn't matter what's popular. It's between you and me.:p:popcorn:

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
K&S were never my favorite pair, but this season their Tchaikovsky program is amazing and has spectacular lifts. I'm so bummed about the falls. It was an Olympic-quality program and if they make it 2018, I hope they use it again.

P&T ... sigh... But at least better than nothing.

D&R being the top pair team is depressing. Their elevator muzak and sense of aesthetics from Megan's overtrained muscular arms, 80s costumes, poorly matched body lines... argh... Ice dance and Denis Ten are my only solace in this Worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was nice the overall results. P and T end on a high note as does Sui and Han who really showed they are the new faves. And D and R earned their well deserved world title. Even Peng and Zhang have a lot to be thrilled about really making their mark as a conteder. The only real painful situation is Kavaguti and Smirnov. They miss the Olympics; really have two wonderful performances but couldn't execute. One wonders if this is it; is it all over now for them. THe Chinese look to dominate now. I wonder if D and R can change their throw triple lutz to a triple axel and add a quad twist?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm confused about everyone crying over the demise of pairs skating. I feel like this was the strongest field we've had in years, and that was even without Stolbova/Klimov. I can't really be bothered with third tier pairs who can't meet the minimum TES requirements when the top tier pairs are so strong. I would rather have a smaller, more elite field at Worlds anyway.

Oh I don't know, I have a real soft spot for the couples/singles who skate early and really have no chance of standing on the podium at that event. For one thing, quite a few of them will do interesting/offbeat programs in an effort to catch the judges' attention. And it gives you a chance to see people to watch for the future. I agree that the TES minimum is a good idea in theory, but let's not be doctrinaire about it, y'know? YMMV of course.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I wasn't saying, since you quoted me, that pairs was dying. I was responding to something gymers (?) said that I didn't understand. Even when this person clarified their statement I still didn't understand. I assume the fault is mine so I tried to say back that I agreed that pairs skating could use more diversity. I was trying to understand what this person was talking about to be honest. I think they were trying to say that the loss of artistry in pairs, as demonstrated by D/R, has led to it not being as popular and not being in some figure skating competitions. I said I think that pairs skating can only benefit from having more strong teams from different countries like Korea, Japan and Eastern Europe. A couple of really great American teams would be a godsend to the sport.

That poster is always making grand sweeping statements like that with little basis in reality. S/he lives in a world of black and white and no nuance; tread lightly. ;)

Let's not forget that one of the most successful pairs of the past several years was German - hardly a strong federation. And Korea is trying to build up some pairs for 2018 - Ingo Steuer was trying to develop a couple pairs recently (Korean girls, they had to find partners from elsewhere though). Not sure how it is coming along, but I think these things take a long time when you are basically starting from scratch, and that's the challenge that smaller feds face. In terms of cost/benefit it may not seem worth it.

I like the skaters I like regardless of their nationality, but I'd like to see pairs from smaller feds become real challengers for sure, if only because it must be so disheartening for them when the usual suspects always have such a huge advantage, even before the competition begins.

parom11

Spectator
Just watched the commentary of Trankov - he tried to be polite, but still didn't loose an opportunity to insult D/R a couple of times... In particular, he said the pair figure skating goes in the wrong direction in his opinion (too difficult jumps and throws, but not enough attention to what he calls "pair elements" - like more interesting lifts, transitions and interaction between the partners in the program). He again said that the components of D\R are not deserved. In the end, he said that based on the result of this championship, he is even more confident that he and Tatiana should return to competitions next season and will be be competitive because of their "new" elements (triple flip throw and 3-2-2 jumps) and much higher components!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched CBC pairs free coverage. what an event. :cry::cry::cry:!!!!, I was deeply deeply touched by my Chinese pair teams. by my cute little Sui/Han. but when in the end Megan cried, I cried.:cry: Love CBC commentary as always. They said" S/H's performance is the performance of the night..."

s_parks

Record Breaker
Could someone please upload/provide links on cbc videos, if possible? That would be much appreciated!

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I was really hoping for an amazing performance from K/S where they would storm the podium but sadly it wasn't to be. I love this programme but their was to many errors today. It was a good attempt at the 4TS but the BODS and 3ThLo were disappointing. Yuko was very disappointed coming off the ice, I had high hopes after their thrilling victory in the Euros. I wonder will they be back next year?

I watched the recorded BESP live coverage and I was pretty impressed by the quality of all competitors, it was definitely one of the better free skates in recent years.

Highlights for me were;

P/T - amazing performance with ok TES. Have they definitely retired? They have given a huge amount to the sport.
S/H - amazing TES, ok performance wise but I think their short is a much better fit for them. I would give them the win in the free.
P/Z - Really like the choreo in this programme, good tech content, will he go on for much longer. Her jumps are a little inconsistent
T/M - great to see them throw down two top notch performances, they have been inconsistent in competitions this season, sets them up nicely for future years
S/B - a great debut in seniors. I didn't expect them to be top 10. Funny that they were 10th in both segments but 8th overall
A/R - Not together a year yet and are Top 10 in Worlds. With the competition in Russia when will we see them at a championship again.
I/M and M/H - Very enjoyable programmes but ran out of steam towards the end.

You can't deny the tech content of D/R but I still think their marks on PCS are on the generous side, but they did deserve the victory over both programmes. I thought S/K (USA) were overmarked, I would have them outside the Top 10 for the free, I didn't really enjoy their performance.

I really think if S/K were they had a very strong chance of gold but of course we will never know. I am surprised the Russian Fed ok their non-participation, are they thinking of Gold in 2018? The Russians have amazing depth at the moment, their Top 2 couples are missing and they still have 3 in the Top 10 but it's disappointing they have no medal

Alba

Record Breaker
I really think if S/K were they had a very strong chance of gold but of course we will never know. I am surprised the Russian Fed ok their non-participation, are they thinking of Gold in 2018? The Russians have amazing depth at the moment, their Top 2 couples are missing and they still have 3 in the Top 10 but it's disappointing they have no medal

Not winning medal one year is not a big deal. The Russian fed had enough confidence in their skaters and they had the chance to medal, if K&S skated clean. They have the luxury to let young teams have the experience. I'm a S&K fan but I was very happy to see A&R, a new team, and T&M skate like that at their first Worlds Champ. Their 3, 4 and 5 team get 5th, 6th and 10th place and secure 3 spots. I say that's pretty great. No other country can afford that (maybe just China to a certain extent), and there are other teams in working progress so who knows what will come out.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Could someone please upload/provide links on cbc videos, if possible? That would be much appreciated!
Pairs coverage here (and other videos): http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/figureskating/video/#id=2660893137 I must say, their commentary for pairs and ladies was quite good. Almost forgave them for that terrible preview show. :laugh: I just wish they'd shown two hours of pairs (like they did for the ladies' SP), allowing the inclusion of P/Z, K/S, T/M, ect. Just the Canadian teams and the medallists seems a little barebones.

mercury

Rinkside
Congrats to DR - a lot of respect for them even though not really my cup of tea.

Couldn't help but welled up with tears once PT touched the ice. Beautiful as always. I'm so glad that they ended their career with a medal but also on a home arena with a standing ovation and roar from the home crowd. Love them.

And the tears continue with SH. At long last. It has been so hard, so very hard for them since they entered the seniors. They are tough nuts, and Sui in particular a tough little lady. Very very proud of them.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
After seeing the ladies and men's SP respectively, I felt the pair event is the most exciting and well performed quality competition.

kinoriH

Final Flight
Just watched the commentary of Trankov - he tried to be polite, but still didn't loose an opportunity to insult D/R a couple of times... In particular, he said the pair figure skating goes in the wrong direction in his opinion (too difficult jumps and throws, but not enough attention to what he calls "pair elements" - like more interesting lifts, transitions and interaction between the partners in the program). He again said that the components of D\R are not deserved. In the end, he said that based on the result of this championship, he is even more confident that he and Tatiana should return to competitions next season and will be be competitive because of their "new" elements (triple flip throw and 3-2-2 jumps) and much higher components!

Love him.
Can't wait for V/T and S/K to come back next season and just SLAY.
This season was a complete snooze.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well both Russian teams are going to need to add some more difficult elements. Sui and Han will soon have two quads and improving artistry not even D and R can compete with that

sses1

On the Ice
S/K already know that which is why they took worlds off, to make those changes. I wonder if T/M will follow suit, surely a quad twist is possible. But with her height I wouldn't want to try a quad throw.

whatif

Medalist
Love him.
Can't wait for V/T and S/K to come back next season and just SLAY.
This season was a complete snooze.

V/T will NOT be back. S/K WILL upgrade the content. And I suspect there will be two new RUS teams with BIG technical content next year, not sure if it's T/M.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So does that mean Kavaguti and Smirnov and V and T are both gone. Somehow I just wanted to see K and S win a world title or at least medal. Very sad for them; I know their pain is China's gain but still. I am not all that gloomy about D and R's win here. Besides there is more to be concerned about - what in the world is going on with ice dance? Yikes the scoring really was wonky.