2016-17 GPF Free Dance | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Free Dance

keasus

On the Ice
already wrote on Tessa and Scott, now just want to throw my few small cents for Gabriella and Guillaume and Maia and Alex - first off all, all top 3 FDs stood out and were fabulous for me for different reasons, they may be from 'same'/similar streamline, but what makes them so very unique is who makes them alive for viewer's eyes.

Maia and Alex - I feel like this program is building to the great momentum, it's getting stronger each time I see it, at least in terms of expression and interpretation. The deep thought put in that program, in its construction is very prominent, for me the program feels like 'thoughts, actions, emotions translated into moves'. Each time I'm very impressed by the level of sharpness, detail-orientation/attention and quality of movement they achieve, not loosing performance impact. I get that this is not the most expressive, emotional and 'easy to connect/relate' program,but it is skated also by not very exuberant team, and I really appreciate that they want to present such minimal program is such way. For me, the program is all about being in the point of reflecting onto past looking at present and the fact that they use their pure skating, so clinical approach to portray the story is a very 'bold' statement of their present state and confidence, faith they have in what they're doing for all these years, that's my impression. The best flow in terms of movement today - the continuity of music was perfectly reflected by their fuid movement, sharpness of turns, symmetry of lines. Maia's extensions and back/arm movement are really the best.

Gabriella and Guillaume - today I feel this was a performance almost on level of their usual one: effortless and mesmerizing. They seemed a tad nervous, but they really created a beautiful, expressive feel of the very moment. Their skating is really 'feathery' for me - those little touches, quickness in moving their upper bodies, flow or arm movement. Their expression today was much more improved, more profound, vivid (especially from Gabriella's side) which definitely amped the performance quality. As I wrote in Paris GP thread after FD, I still can't quite connect with that program itself, its 'substance', but maybe there is no such definition of that program,what it stands for? Maybe it's a blank space on which they create something unique, personal maybe and it's up to the viewers to give it a meaning, a story? Maybe they are giving the 'substance' by themselves, by their skating to this music as a material for thought? Maybe it's just a matter of time and a deeper thought put for that program to understand it and appreciate.

To sum up - Tessa and Scott cast a spell with their sensuality and emotional connection, Gabriella and Guillaume painted a beautiful picture by their movement on on ice, like on clean canvas, enabling all watching to interpret that picture in our own, intimate way of feeling, and Maia and Alex created by that dance a 'mirror of memory' and a testimony of their skating history, a 'mirror' in which they can look at themselves, at each other in most mesmerizing way and at the same time they showed that 'mirror' to everyone to look at they evolution, at their journey.

That was beautifully expressed, NoNameFace. Such a refreshing and much needed respite from the rancor and jingoism that often accompany too many ice dance reviews. I hope you will continue to grace this board with your comments through the rest of the season.

rain

Record Breaker
Maia and Alex - I feel like this program is building to the great momentum, it's getting stronger each time I see it, at least in terms of expression and interpretation. The deep thought put in that program, in its construction is very prominent, for me the program feels like 'thoughts, actions, emotions translated into moves'. Each time I'm very impressed by the level of sharpness, detail-orientation/attention and quality of movement they achieve, not loosing performance impact. I get that this is not the most expressive, emotional and 'easy to connect/relate' program,but it is skated also by not very exuberant team, and I really appreciate that they want to present such minimal program is such way. For me, the program is all about being in the point of reflecting onto past looking at present and the fact that they use their pure skating, so clinical approach to portray the story is a very 'bold' statement of their present state and confidence, faith they have in what they're doing for all these years, that's my impression. The best flow in terms of movement today - the continuity of music was perfectly reflected by their fuid movement, sharpness of turns, symmetry of lines. Maia's extensions and back/arm movement are really the best.

I've gone back and rewatched this program a bunch of times now, trying to figure out why it just doesn't do it for me the way that V/M and P/C's programs do this season. I've come to the conclusion that for me, it comes down to the choreography. Their expression and presentation of the program is lovely, but the choreography lets them down. V/M and P/C's choreography has such a strong sense of understanding of the modern movement and attention to every detail of the music to create moments throughout that are unexpected and beautiful. Steps link to more steps and twizzles and lifts in seamless ways that manage to surprise me.

Every time I try to watch the Shibs FD my attention drifts. There are large portions of the music, particularly at the beginning, that they just skate through with very traditional nothing-special steps. There are some nice highlights, but not enough. The program doesn't really seem to have a theme of movement that follows throughout. The end of the choreography is better, as the music builds, but it's just not enough.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I would like to thank Chock & Bates for being the caffeine amongst this sea of melatonin.

keasus

On the Ice
I've gone back and rewatched this program a bunch of times now, trying to figure out why it just doesn't do it for me the way that V/M and P/C's programs do this season. I've come to the conclusion that for me, it comes down to the choreography. Their expression and presentation of the program is lovely, but the choreography lets them down. V/M and P/C's choreography has such a strong sense of understanding of the modern movement and attention to every detail of the music to create moments throughout that are unexpected and beautiful. Steps link to more steps and twizzles and lifts in seamless ways that manage to surprise me.

Every time I try to watch the Shibs FD my attention drifts. There are large portions of the music, particularly at the beginning, that they just skate through with very traditional nothing-special steps. There are some nice highlights, but not enough. The program doesn't really seem to have a theme of movement that follows throughout. The end of the choreography is better, as the music builds, but it's just not enough.

I have the opposite reaction. To me, the Shib's choreography and point of view are intriguing and I am entranced. V/M and P/C are strong performers, but I feel I have seen this choreography too many times already. Well-executed (although P/C were weaker today than in the past two seasons), but still no sense of discovery. But that's just my opinion.

Barb

Record Breaker
i was at the rink and Shibs have much presence, I remember 2012 4cc a big difference compared with tessa and scott, but not anymore. But speaking just about skating vm were very above the others teams today. I dont like their program but their skating compensate. P/C better than nhk but I dont feel anything with this program. And H/D are wonderful, they need better programs.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
:laugh: good one! However, for me anyway, the caffeine was sharp and grating, while the melatonin melodic and beautiful.

Heh, agreed. It was very beautiful skating but it all started to look the same at one point.

Edited to add that I just saw the podium ceremony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmFGECDaGOU

It's so glaring when they play the little excerpts of the free as each team is announced... it's all the same pretty piano music. :laugh:

Last edited:

Matt K

On the Ice

This is a major problem with the Shibutanis for me, aside from their okay but not great skating skills. They could be skating to anything. Wasting parts of the music by skating through it. I know they arranged the music but that doesn't make them musical. It seems like Shibs have been doing the same movement to different music for years now.

I like them on Twitter.

Astrid56

Final Flight

I think, they have discovered that what matter to the judges are just nice movements, well-executed elements.... They are not following a theme ... just following what feels like. And when it is time to stop, they simply punctuate it with the right step and pose. This FD is reminiscent of their last one, only the last one has sort of a theme although Coldplay's lyrics sometimes didn't match the skating movements.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That was... ugh, so not my thing. I don't get it. I don't get why this is better than P/C, and so much better.

Because it has layers of emotional depth to it that P/C, as fine as they are (and they are very very fine indeed), have yet to approach. I said it the first time I saw it, that Voir's FD is about the layers of a relationship, and that the program would improve dramatically as they explored those layers in depth.

I give David Wilson all the credit in the world for that program.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
They could just give them Itunes gift cards in the appropriate colours and price ranges instead. More useful and maybe some of them could use them to find new music.

Hey, you stole my suggestion!

;)

But really, you can NEVER go wrong with gift certificates!

:cool2:

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
This is a major problem with the Shibutanis for me, aside from their okay but not great skating skills. They could be skating to anything. Wasting parts of the music by skating through it. I know they arranged the music but that doesn't make them musical. It seems like Shibs have been doing the same movement to different music for years now.

I like them on Twitter.

I will disagree. I find them, along with Virtue and Moir and Cappellini and Lannotte, among the most musical ice dancers still competing. There are ice dancers with many medals who don't have a musical atom in their bodies. I also believe the Shibs are among the strongest technicians.

On a different front, I find when I look back on youtube that I really miss Madison Chock and her former partner, Greg Zuerlein, who were such great foils for each other. For me, Chock & Bates are ill-matched. In this particular event, the short program especially, they needed a lot more speed and sharpness to match all the face and attitude she's throwing out. She's got a great body and looks fantastic, she's working the face, but the skating sluggish. For that matter, why are their programs always choreographed to Madison? Evan could be a mannequin for all the programs pay attention to him. There are other teams where one or the other partner is considered the "star" but the "lesser" partner is never treated as just a prop to the extent they treat Evan.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker

I like them on Twitter.

Yes, it feels like parts of the music are wasted, like they are just marking time until the next element. As if the choreographer said, okay, we have to fill in 10-15 seconds here so here's some turns and steps — only they could be to any piece of music, rather than this specific one.

This is why I much preferred their Fix You FD from last season. It felt more choreographed to the music.

olayolay

On the Ice
The Shibs music is just so monotone. It's literally three notes over and over again for like three minutes. No one could skate to that and make it interesting.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
already wrote on Tessa and Scott, now just want to throw my few small cents for Gabriella and Guillaume and Maia and Alex - first off all, all top 3 FDs stood out and were fabulous for me for different reasons, they may be from 'same'/similar streamline, but what makes them so very unique is who makes them alive for viewer's eyes.

Gabriella and Guillaume - today I feel this was a performance almost on level of their usual one: effortless and mesmerizing. They seemed a tad nervous, but they really created a beautiful, expressive feel of the very moment. Their skating is really 'feathery' for me - those little touches, quickness in moving their upper bodies, flow or arm movement. Their expression today was much more improved, more profound, vivid (especially from Gabriella's side) which definitely amped the performance quality. As I wrote in Paris GP thread after FD, I still can't quite connect with that program itself, its 'substance', but maybe there is no such definition of that program,what it stands for? Maybe it's a blank space on which they create something unique, personal maybe and it's up to the viewers to give it a meaning, a story? Maybe they are giving the 'substance' by themselves, by their skating to this music as a material for thought? Maybe it's just a matter of time and a deeper thought put for that program to understand it and appreciate.

To sum up - Tessa and Scott cast a spell with their sensuality and emotional connection, Gabriella and Guillaume painted a beautiful picture by their movement on on ice, like on clean canvas, enabling all watching to interpret that picture in our own, intimate way of feeling, and Maia and Alex created by that dance a 'mirror of memory' and a testimony of their skating history, a 'mirror' in which they can look at themselves, at each other in most mesmerizing way and at the same time they showed that 'mirror' to everyone to look at they evolution, at their journey.

I love your posts on ice dance! You are always so thoughtful, fair, and insightful. I look forward to many more from you in the future!

Dots

Final Flight
The Shibutanis' Free Dance was something very special. The quiet way in which they move across the ice is truly unmatched in today's skating. I do feel that last lift could be reworked to make it more of a highlight at the end. The end needs to leave more of an impression.

V/M while I do not think their FD is as good as previous FDs, I am willing to recognize that they are a couple for the ages. I'm surprise at how unmatched P/C are against this new competition. V/M have that world gold unless they screw up.

P/C, they are outskated. Plain and simple. The FD is probably not as strong as the one they had two years ago, but Guillaume Cizeron is still the greatest talent. Unfortunately Grabiella's skating is inferior and that will always be their achilles heel.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I would be PROFOUNDLY surprised if there is a different podium at Worlds than the final flight here.

One of the best competitions since the final flight of the 2014 Olympics.

I'll probably post about the Shibs over on their Fan Fest thread, but again, I really really really really really really truly really really really wish people could separate their personal tastes from an objective analysis of a performance. No, this kind of minimalist music is not for everyone; it's difficult to listen to; it doesn't have a rousing or 'pretty' melody to hook the listener in. That's fine. Again, de gustibus non est diputandum. But "I don't like this" and "this bores me" isn't an evaluation; it's an opinion. Nothing wrong with opinions--I'm incredibly opinionated myself. But it's still an opinion. I will say this: I think this is a gutsy and very smart move by the Shibs. The expected thing would have been to do Fix You All Over Again. And they did something that is not only the polar opposite of it, but is a far more difficult dance to pull off. :bow:

P/C did something here they haven't done since the days of Woodkid. They skated with undiluted, pure and raw emotion. Welcome back, mes petites bêtes sauvages! Everyone raves about Mr C, but to me this event belonged to GP. Last year's FD was pretty (and for me, somewhat tepid and boring until the second half of it). But this was a really gutsy performance, and gutsy is a description I was afraid I would never use again to describe them. Pretty isn't gutsy. I think this is the first step to keeping the pretty, but adding a far far more interesting raw gutsiness to it. :bow:

Voir: now that's a fully adult relationship. We're a long way from the ooeygooey days of Funny Face (a program I still detest). They can still go deeper with it, make that desire to "latch" onto their partner seem even more inevitable, but really... :bow:

ETA: Isn't it interesting that the most interesting and moving programs coming out of Montreal aren't clogged with a thick layer of mush? Something to think about Ms. Dubreil...

Last edited: