2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance

Barb

Record Breaker
I'm so upset right now. Literally fuming. So I was reading skating protocols and apparently, S/K earned a trip to Euros because Elena got a one-point costume deduction. A FREAKING COSTUME DEDUCTION COSTED I/Z. Can you freaking believe it?! SMH. I can't take it. Russian Judging is crap. No sugarcoating. Check out @SkatingProtocol on Twitter. Breaking down the marks, they called out some Russian judges... :disagree::palmf::disagree:

I was angry but not with judges but Elena and her team, I mean, check the damn costume before the competition.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'm so upset right now. Literally fuming. So I was reading skating protocols and apparently, S/K earned a trip to Euros because Elena got a one-point costume deduction. A FREAKING COSTUME DEDUCTION COSTED I/Z. Can you freaking believe it?! SMH. I can't take it. Russian Judging is crap. No sugarcoating. Check out @SkatingProtocol on Twitter. Breaking down the marks, they called out some Russian judges... :disagree::palmf::disagree:

Eh, what does it even mean? Anyone could have had a problem with the costume, it's not that unbelievable. And I/Z should have made sure to garner each and every point at Nats because they knew they were coming as the underdogs behind the top three and they had no room for mistakes. The Fed doesn't really trust them, and I/Z certainly didn't make a good case for themselves.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
To

Better than Moscow at the moment. If you want to find a partner in the ice dance capital of the world why not go for it! He has a solid resume.

As I said, he doesn't have much else going for him: Can't speak English, no top coach to work with, and no money. Not everyone has Tobias money to be able to pay not only for training expenses but living expenses. I heard a few said no the minute they found out they have to leave Detroit and their state of the art facilities to train with coaches who don't even have a permanent rink and often skate in a shopping mall and pay for his food and rent. You'd have to be really dumb to think any girl would agree to this. It would be like me moving to Wyoming and trying to lure Silicon Valley employees to work at my startup for half the pay.

Last edited:

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
Eh, what does it even mean? Anyone could have had a problem with the costume, it's not that unbelievable. And I/Z should have made sure to garner each and every point at Nats because they knew they were coming as the underdogs behind the top three and they had no room for mistakes. The Fed doesn't really trust them, and I/Z certainly didn't make a good case for themselves.

Costume deductions, in general, are beyond ridiculous. Unless the costume itself caused any sort of disruption while skating, there should be no such deduction at all. I know I/Z are not doing well but so are S/K. Underdogs? A little bit... But the difference between S/K and I/Z legit ticks me off. Not to mention, the amount of inflation in Russian Judging... SMH 😒

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Costume deductions, in general, are beyond ridiculous. Unless the costume itself caused any sort of disruption while skating, there should be no such deduction at all. I know I/Z are not doing well but so are S/K. Underdogs? A little bit... But the difference between S/K and I/Z legit ticks me off. Not to mention, the amount of inflation in Russian Judging... SMH 😒

I agree about inflation but watch the US Nats - the scores will be even more generous. I watched some clips of the 6.0 days and they gave out marks like there was no tomorrow.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
I agree about inflation but watch the US Nats - the scores will be even more generous. I watched some clips of the 6.0 days and they gave out marks like there was no tomorrow.

I think inflation during Nationals, no matter what country, is quite common... But the amount of inflation in Russian judging is just absurd. Additionally, the standard of US Ice Dance right now is wayyyyyy higher than Russian Ice Dance.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
As I said, he doesn't have much else going for him: Can't speak English, no top coach to work with, and no money. Not everyone has Tobias money to be able to pay not only for training expenses but living expenses. I heard a few said no the minute they found out they have to leave Detroit and their state of the art facilities to train with coaches who don't even have a permanent rink and often skate in a shopping mall and pay for his food and rent. You'd have to be really dumb to think any girl would agree to this. It would be like me moving to Wyoming and trying to lure Silicon Valley employees to work at my startup for half the pay.

If he likes Connecticut he likes Connecticut. It has a big expatriate Russian community and lots of skaters. On a skater level of course he should be in Detroit. I was just thinking more on a personal level. Like all the Russian teams with worlds potential are actually training in Russia! How insane is that? Bobrova and soloviev aren't in Detroit so a guy with no partner not being there is like generating no concern. Why aren't bobrova/soloviev, stepanova/Bukin, I/z there? I would add s/k but they were banished!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

How is he surviving and simply living if things are that bad for him?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think inflation during Nationals, no matter what country, is quite common... But the amount of inflation in Russian judging is just absurd. Additionally, the standard of US Ice Dance right now is wayyyyyy higher than Russian Ice Dance.

I am talking in general the US scores are perhaps overall in the past consistently the worst offenders of home cooking/inflation/national gifting. Sadly that effects the credibility of all the 6's of say Michelle Kwan. I was watching an old clip of some national and the female skater in Canada was their best and her score was still like 5.5 and 5.6 but if it was in the states this type of non competitive skater would be like 5.8 if she were the best American. Likewise with COP. But that is perhaps why no one considers national scores on the world scene. Yes, right now dance is very strong in the states. But watch the pairs scores, watch the men's pcs.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil

There's two things we have to adress here, then. First is the rule that treat costume malfunction with the loss of points, which the judges have to actually follow, despite them being ridiculous or not. Second is the inflation business which I don't think it needs to be discussed anymore - it happens everywhere. I/Z are the absolute underdogs in the top 4, they have no standing with the Fed and the results they achieved in the last season and a half were less than ideal. The choices they make continue to hurt them. And yeah, there are differences between S/K and I/Z, but they are not as big as some people make them to be.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I/Z are the absolute underdogs in the top 4, they have no standing with the Fed and the results they achieved in the last season and a half were less than ideal. The choices they make continue to hurt them. And yeah, there are differences between S/K and I/Z, but they are not as big as some people make them to be.

Which is a real pity because this is the season they should be bulldozing over S/K because of Nikita's injury and their program setbacks. They also had the biggest chance to start battling against StepBukin for that 2nd Olympic spot with the help of Igor. But what did they do? Look unprepared this season. To be honest, I'm rooting for I/Z to have their breakthrough once again like with Carmen. The way they are not fully grabbing these opportunities and these chances just frustrates me.

katha

On the Ice
Which is a real pity because this is the season they should be bulldozing over S/K because of Nikita's injury and their program setbacks. They also had the biggest chance to start battling against StepBukin for that 2nd Olympic spot with the help of Igor. But what did they do? Look unprepared this season. To be honest, I'm rooting for I/Z to have their breakthrough once again like with Carmen. The way they are not fully grabbing these opportunities and these chances just frustrates me.
Pretty much this. This should have been I/Z's season. Everything was falling into place for them: IMO BobSol have been once again saddled with lackluster programs by Zhulin. StepBukin have programs that suit them, but their shortcomings are still bleedingly obvious and the political push for them is only possible because Russian ice dance is such a mess in general. Look at SinKats "performances" at the test skates, Nikita had barely even learned the programs, they were so far behind. I/Z also had more time to prepare programs than the other couples. They had Shpilband, who is not only a tech expert but also a massive political force in the business.

With all of this as foundation, they should have left both SinKats and StepBukin in the dust and should have been fighting for number one spot with BobSol. Or at least a fight for second place was possible. I mean, I like SinKats' skating, so I was happy that they managed to make the podium and make it to Euros. But in a world where I/Z started the season properly prepared no way in hell would S/K be ever able to catch up to them and make it out of Russia this year. He's not a great choreographer usually or anything, but it's really a shame that it didn't work out with Shpilband. His technical knowledge and his political capabilities are, I think, something that I/Z could have really needed going forward.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
I know it's unfortunate that the coaching change didn't work out, but I wouldn't say that the time spend in Novi was for nothing. Shpilband improved a lot their GOE, which were terrible last year. Regarding that second Olympic spot, a lot will depend on S/B's performance at Worlds. If they have a significant jump in their results compared to the last two Worlds, I don't see a big chance for IZ or SK to make the Olympics. If SB end up again behind all NA teams and both Italian teams, I think the door will be open for IZ or SK. Both teams have the advantage that they can start their preparation earlier than SB.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
I/Z are the absolute underdogs in the top 4, they have no standing with the Fed and the results they achieved in the last season and a half were less than ideal. The choices they make continue to hurt them. And yeah, there are differences between S/K and I/Z, but they are not as big as some people make them to be.

I wouldn't say I/Z are the absolute underdogs. Both S/K and I/Z earned 16 points in the Grand Prix series. I/Z even beat Hubbell/Donohue and Gilles/Poirier at TED during the SD Competition. Going into the FD Comp, they were second to Papadakis/Cizeron. Yes, they are underdogs, in the sense that the Russian Fed don't really back them up as much... But other than the poor choices they have made, I don't see why they should not be in the running as the third Russian dance team... And yeah, 0.17 is not as big as some people make them to be.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say I/Z are the absolute underdogs. Both S/K and I/Z earned 16 points in the Grand Prix series. I/Z even beat Hubbell/Donohue and Gilles/Poirier at TED during the SD Competition. Going into the FD Comp, they were second to Papadakis/Cizeron. Yes, they are underdogs, in the sense that the Russian Fed don't really back them up as much... But other than the poor choices they have made, I don't see why they should not be in the running as the third Russian dance team... And yeah, 0.17 is not as big as some people make them to be.

I/Z had very little time with Igor. They apparently charted a plan, but mid stream it would appear the FED didn't like how things were going. It looks like Igor was trying to make them stronger and improve their technique, but they needed more time which they weren't given. Reading between the lines I also think Ruslena though appreciative of the work they did in Detroit, believe that working in Moscow and time will eventually yield good results as well.

Then lets not forget their illnesses and injuries, so this season just did not pan out as intended. They knew based on their SD scores that they wouldn't be selected for the team and in spite of that they performed admirably. This team has great character, their technique is improving and they are very musical, so I choose to hope that their day will come.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
I/Z had very little time with Igor. They apparently charted a plan, but mid stream it would appear the FED didn't like how things were going. It looks like Igor was trying to make them stronger and improve their technique, but they needed more time which they weren't given. Reading between the lines I also think Ruslena though appreciative of the work they did in Detroit, believe that working in Moscow and time will eventually yield good results as well. Then lets not forget their illnesses and injuries, so this season just did not pan out as intended. They knew based on their SD scores that they wouldn't be selected for the team and in spite of that they performed admirably. This team has great character, their technique is improving and they are very musical, so I choose to hope that their day will come.

I wish them the best. Since they don't have any more international comps this season, I hope they make use of the time advantage they have going into the Olympic season. With Latin next season, I have a good feeling I/Z may be able to catch up.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I/Z had very little time with Igor. They apparently charted a plan, but mid stream it would appear the FED didn't like how things were going. It looks like Igor was trying to make them stronger and improve their technique, but they needed more time which they weren't given. Reading between the lines I also think Ruslena though appreciative of the work they did in Detroit, believe that working in Moscow and time will eventually yield good results as well.

Then lets not forget their illnesses and injuries, so this season just did not pan out as intended. They knew based on their SD scores that they wouldn't be selected for the team and in spite of that they performed admirably. This team has great character, their technique is improving and they are very musical, so I choose to hope that their day will come.

Crazy! Based on what could they believe this? Mate it's something they are being forced to believe because pride won't allow those in charge to realize everthing has changed and Russia is now a big nothing in ice dance.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Crazy! Based on what could they believe this? Mate it's something they are being forced to believe because pride won't allow those in charge to realize everthing has changed and Russia is now a big nothing in ice dance.

Based on the fact that this is the only team to break out and win their first nationals based on the strength of a remarkable Carmen SD and their own desire to win. You are right that the Russian FED is clueless as to how to groom and train their dancers, but as they say hope dies last. I just can't accept that such talent is going to be wasted in Russia. :noshake:

Weathergal

Medalist
I wish them the best. Since they don't have any more international comps this season, I hope they make use of the time advantage they have going into the Olympic season. With Latin next season, I have a good feeling I/Z may be able to catch up.

Although not as big as Europeans and Worlds, they do have an international competition. They're in Winter Universiade.