2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Since Bobrova is the captain of the Russian team at WTT, their poor showing there can only do harm to their reputation. Just look at her upper body... She should lose some weight now so that her partner can be less stressful in competitions/practice. Anyway, they are not the top 3 material in the world.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think this is good news for Sinitsina, Zhulin managed to help Bobrova a lot with her skating. Bad for Volkov though, I think S/K were his only team. I`m curious though who managed to persuade Zhulin to take them after everything what happened between him and Nikita back in 2011.

What exactly happenned ?

IMO, Zhulin really wants his own 2 russian teams at Olys. I hope the environment will be good because B/S really are a non-drama team, so they better all get along !

Marta25

Medalist
What exactly happenned ?

IMO, Zhulin really wants his own 2 russian teams at Olys. I hope the environment will be good because B/S really are a non-drama team, so they better all get along !

When I/K moved up to Seniors, the Russian Fed was disappointed with their results. Zhulin publicaly stated that in his opinion I/K weren`t training hard enough and were relying too much on their talent. Nikita complained that Zhulin was too involved with his shows and wasn`t giving them enough attention in training. After Worlds 2011 I/K moved to Morozov.

Mattieu

Medalist
When I/K moved up to Seniors, the Russian Fed was disappointed with their results. Zhulin publicaly stated that in his opinion I/K weren`t training hard enough and were relying too much on their talent. Nikita complained that Zhulin was too involved with his shows and wasn`t giving them enough attention in training. After Worlds 2011 I/K moved to Morozov.

I've heard that Zhulin is often absent for one reason or another, so if that continues, Nikita will be complaining de nouveau ;)

Marta25

Medalist
I've heard that Zhulin is often absent for one reason or another, so if that continues, Nikita will be complaining de nouveau ;)

Well, Nikita is running out of options, it`s either Zhulin or being stuck with Tchaikovskaya.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Zhulin has the potential to polish S/K though. I can't even imagine the drama on the forums if S/K goes to the Olys and I/Z don't ...Let's face it, it's either one of them or none of them who will go.
So he has Bobro/Sol, Hurtado/Khalyavin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, and now S/K. Anyone else ?

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
Zhulin has the potential to polish S/K though. I can't even imagine the drama on the forums if S/K goes to the Olys and I/Z don't ...Let's face it, it's either one of them or none of them who will go.
So he has Bobro/Sol, Hurtado/Khalyavin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, and now S/K. Anyone else ?

Well last season he seemed to struggle with 3 Senior teams, so not sure how S/K are going to get the time they need to come back strongly.
I'm also not quite sure why Averbukh is so convinced Katsalapov is still such a good skater, has he watched him recently?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Well last season he seemed to struggle with 3 Senior teams, so not sure how S/K are going to get the time they need to come back strongly.
I'm also not quite sure why Averbukh is so convinced Katsalapov is still such a good skater, has he watched him recently?

Judging from what I see from the forums and from people that watched him live, he is REALLY good. But obviously lacks training. And for sure discipline. 2 teams come to mind : Davis/White and Shibsibs. Not the most NATURALLY talented but SO. MUCH.DISCIPLINE. And work ethic. Look where it got them.

They should do it the Patrice Lauzon way : every skater has his own schedule. You know what to do since the morning until the end of the day. Nothing else allowed.
This is Olympic season. It's make it or break it.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker

Why would Olympics be anything other than b/S and S/b unless this means that S/b are dropped now! Go from being close to b/S to dropped! All because of Zhulin coaching? Zhulin is not even a good coach. He has Russia's number one team before the Olympics and is so horrible at his job they don't medal at the worlds before it. Rearranging deck chairs on titanic! They need dubreil!

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Why would Olympics be anything other than b/S and S/b unless this means that S/b are dropped now! Go from being close to b/S to dropped! All because of Zhulin coaching? Zhulin is not even a good coach. He has Russia's number one team before the Olympics and is so horrible at his job they don't medal at the worlds before it. Rearranging deck chairs on titanic! They need dubreil!

2014-2015 : I/Z are Nats champs and I/K are not even in the picture(4th behing S/B and Monko/Khalyavin)
2015-2016 : I/Z are being dropped behind S/B ans I/K were honestly not far away from winning nationals.
2016-2017 : B/S comforts no.1 position and S/B pass both teams.
Honestly it changes EVERY YEAR. If it does again next year, I won't be THAT surprised.

I don't think Zhulin is a bad coach, but I don't like his choreo :scratch2: Dima is an excellent skater and I feel that he could shine more.
But S/K might fit Dubreuil's choreo, the man/woman in love relationship king of program. The one from 2015-2016 wasn't that bad but it did looked like it was put together in 1 hour. They could use something sophisticated.
But the Montreal camp is not going to take anymore team right now they are crowded until Olympics, though if they want to get into politics, they should take a Russian team :drama:

I would love to see a Russian team in the Montreal camp though.

Last edited:

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
Dima's photo looked puzzling to me, until I read that Zhulin is coaching Nikita again. Good luck with that!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMdjUojRBs/?taken-by=dmitry_solovyev
(Courtesy of Google Translate: I'm sure our competition within the group will only raise dancing on ice in just one season)
I don't think anyone has to lose their sleep over S&K making the Olympics; they won't. But at least they're in a better place than their current situation.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Maybe Zhulin hopes to see the two teams pushing each other to the top, which is not a bad thing in itself. With the top4 in Russia all coming from different coaches, there's not really any kind of friendly competition between them, because most of the time it feels like each of the teams is going their own way. Also, he gets to train a Russian top team for the next cycle, because he has none right now - sorry Z/G.

danceme

Rinkside
Country
Commonwealth
you must be Joking Babrova can not skate even a program that is most hand in hand..Sinitsia will loose any skating skill she got from Volkov

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Is that normal that no one heard of I/Z for a while now ? I thought Elena posted often on Instagram...

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Is that normal that no one heard of I/K for a while now ? I thought Elena posted often on Instagram...

You mean I/Z right? This last season she's become much more discrete with respect to social media. Ruslan has always been that way, with the occasional sneak peek :)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
You mean I/Z right? This last season she's become much more discrete with respect to social media. Ruslan has always been that way, with the occasional sneak peek :)

Oh my, I turned into one of those people who still get it wrong even 3 years later :palmf:

Rumors aren't helping though :/