2016-2017 Team China Update | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Team China Update

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I didn't notice this thread back in May, and obviously don't know till now that Zijun is back with Mingzhu Li, and Han Yan... Isn't his old coach good enough?
The Banquet song sounds more suitable for an ex piece. It is quite slow and very expressive. Not sure how the choreography is going to match the slow pace of the music:scratch2:

Eclair

Medalist
I didn't notice this thread back in May, and obviously don't know till now that Zijun is back with Mingzhu Li, and Han Yan... Isn't his old coach good enough?
The Banquet song sounds more suitable for an ex piece. It is quite slow and very expressive. Not sure how the choreography is going to match the slow pace of the music:scratch2:

Yeah, I don't really understand why at least Zijun is not sent to trian full-time with Frank Caroll or Brian Orser, since she improved visibly under first in just a few weeks last season. And the PCS rise that goes with training under them is not something to ignore either. I mean, come on chinese fed. You want medals under a north american coach or mediocre results under a chinese coach. It's not really that hard of a decision. Instead, someone came up with the brilliant idea to let Mingzhu coach Zijun again. I just rewatched Zijun's sp in 2014 in sochi and worlds and there're a couple of things that are obvious.
1. in Sochi her skate was clean, but she only got like 27pcs. Mingzhu seemed to be awestruck and had no idea why, even though it was apparent, that with that execution no matter how clean, Zijun wouldn't score much higher. What surprised me, was that Mingzhu (and Zijun) were surprised. Obviously, Mingzhu also doesn't know how to effectivly politick for her skaters.
2. at worlds, Zijun stepped out of her combo and didn't tuck a double or triple on one of her single jumps. Like the B.esp commentators said, it seemed that there were issues between Zijun and Mingzhu, resulting in unproductive training. This fundamental mistake just shows, how unflexible Zijun's training was.
And now, as Zijun finally got a mini pcs rise and starts to get her feet under her, the chinese fed came up with the brilliant idea to asign Mingzhu again. Really, from who's magnificient brain came that from? Zijun had her worst showing under Mingzhu. Yep, she also had her technically best showing under Mingzhu, but that was prepuberty. Her expression ane execution of the choreo was bad even then, it just wasn't as apparent as in 2014 because everyone expected her to skate like a junior. Mingzhu definetly doesn't seem to be someone that brings out the artistic soul of her skaters out. The over-the-top strictness of Mingzhu just doesn't work with post-puberty skaters. Never had. Never will. This is the coach that restricted water intake for Zijun, because apparently water weights too much. You really want to put the most promising chinese talent in ladies single skating in the hands of someone with this kind of half-knowledge? No wonder her skating is strenghless:noshake:

On contrary, I really like the music choice for Zijun's LP this year. I don't think this music is too slow, but it could turn out to be a emotional and expressive programm with an unique and exotic flair. Fast-paced music doesn't suit Zijun's skating much and this one could be a real touching and letting people feel with her. I'm going to look foward to seeing it:luv17:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
i dont know the details, but it seams PangQing has joined training team China singles (maybe in charge of artistic side). Mingzhou is just perhaps the head coach. Zijun and Hanyan are training at LA, very possibly in Frank's ice rink.
And she and Han Yan are taking all sorts of lessons offered by North American team possibly with Frank. from physical strength training to SS to Choreo etc.

Eclair

Medalist
i dont know the details, but it seams PangQing has joined training team China singles (maybe in charge of artistic side). Mingzhou is just perhaps the head coach. Zijun and Hanyan are training at LA, very possibly in Frank's ice rink.
And she and Han Yan are taking all sorts of lessons offered by North American team possibly with Frank. from physical strength training to SS to Choreo etc.

thanks for the info, but that's not the same as having frank as their head coach. Not in the matter of PCS and not in the matter of packaging and training.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
So are they going to train in LA at East-West Palace or in Beijing with Mingzhu Li?

I don't know if it's the skater's part or the federation's to blame. Lu Chen might be the only Chinese skater who trained outside of China on her own. It takes some adjustment to live alone in another country. I mean does Zijun want to train in North American, and probably cook her own food, rent an apartment and drive to the rink on her own? She's turning 20 soon but still. She does not seem to have Lu Chen's tough mentality, maturity or ambition at the same age. I remember seeing some interviews with Chinese speed skaters training in the U.S. in 2010, and one mentioned the big contrast of training in China (everything is in place just training) and training in the U.S.

But with Han Yan, I feel he can adjust himself quite well in the U.S., or Canada.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I linked, translated, and posted the new list of Chinese coaches in 3 threads when it came out a few months ago. The main news was David Pelletiere hired as the first foreign coach for Chinese Pairs, and retired Pairs skater Pang Qing engaged as Singles coach, responsible for Han and Zijun training in N. America. David started his new job in July and photos of Pang training with Han have been posted. I'm not sure of news and photos of Pang with Zijun. Mingzhu Li was listed as a foreign coach.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
So are they going to train in LA at East-West Palace or in Beijing with Mingzhu Li?

I don't know if it's the skater's part or the federation's to blame. Lu Chen might be the only Chinese skater who trained outside of China on her own. It takes some adjustment to live alone in another country. I mean does Zijun want to train in North American, and probably cook her own food, rent an apartment and drive to the rink on her own? She's turning 20 soon but still. She does not seem to have Lu Chen's tough mentality, maturity or ambition at the same age. I remember seeing some interviews with Chinese speed skaters training in the U.S. in 2010, and one mentioned the big contrast of training in China (everything is in place just training) and training in the U.S.

But with Han Yan, I feel he can adjust himself quite well in the U.S., or Canada.

Team China hired a couple of assistants to help with Zijun and Han yan's daily life, I guess including cooking and shopping etc in LA. From Zijun and HanYan's weibo, it appears they trains very hard yet at the same time really enjoy the life in LA:luv17: I think they dont need to worry about daily life chores at all.
Team China has got much more money than before. and the they intend to send their top skaters overseas for long term.

yqs100

On the Ice
Yan Han is training with Mingzhu Li in SF.

Zijun Li is supposed to train with Mingzhu Li as the Fed arranged. But she went back changchun, and now training in changchun and beijing. before Sochi, she had some issue with Mingzhu Li, I guess the argue was over the way of training, Coach Li is very strict and discipline to athlete. In July from Zijun Li's weibo, she was really unhappy, then went back China, not sure who she is training with now.

Eclair

Medalist

Zijun Li is supposed to train with Mingzhu Li as the Fed arranged. But she went back changchun, and now training in changchun and beijing. before Sochi, she had some issue with Mingzhu Li, I guess the argue was over the way of training, Coach Li is very strict and discipline to athlete. In July from Zijun Li's weibo, she was really unhappy, then went back China, not sure who she is training with now.
Thank you for the update on zijuns location! I'm not against discipline and strictness - Frank caroll is known for his strictness and diciplone to the athlete. Zijun even said that under him she trained harder than ever because it was so physivally demanding. I just think there is a time and place for strictness. And limiting the water intake is not the right time place. Good for zijun for leaving mingzhu! I firmly believe whatever zijun does, the result will be worlds better than what she would have gotten with mingzhu.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
a few updates about Zijun's skating(based on clips on Zijun's weibo), she posted a correct edge Lutz (clear outside) indicates that she really determined to get a correct lutz (some skating fans are against her decision about this) and already had good results. stsq from SP, the kinda style Lori really likes (has seen in Caro and Mao's program many times). But zijun showed sharpness(to staccato notes ) and better control of limbs and felt more powerful than before.
The LP music is really unexpected and never been used. really look forward to it. I could imagine how PangQing would skate to it.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
All of a sudden, I am getting so much info about Chinese skaters:)

Han Yan is a more rounded person I guess. Are they training at a specific rink/club in SF (not LA?) I think exposure to other skaters is a good experience to have.

Every time I saw a clip of Zijun, the rink is almost empty without any other skaters. It's good that you have a rink of your own, but without any peers of the same or better calibre than you, it's easy to lose track where you are. Peer pressure and motivation are quite important for a skater to have a competitive mind.

To give Mingzhu Li some credit, she did bring Zijun Li to the 7th at Worlds in 2013, the best placement Zijun had so far. And honestly speaking, it can be the best placement she has in her entire career. Then the next year Zijun went through some serious body change and started to have issues with Mingzhu Li.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^ Han indeed has a very extravert personality and easily get along with people around the globe, even with multiple language barrier. He seems has that gift, also get along very well with his fans too.

I think Zijun has been training with Boyang?

yqs100

On the Ice
Zijun Li is training by herself, currently no coach since this summer.

The Chinese fed had assigned mingzhu li and Qing pang as her coach. But for some reason, she was not happy with the arrangement and decided to train alone.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Can I just say ONE really important thing? If possible, can someone convey to Han Yan that his bright blue blouse with billowy sleeves is really, really hideous? Everyone was feeling...:dumb: It doesn't even feel like him. If he needs sparkles, Mura's FS dark grey or Grant's SP's tasteful mid-night blue will suit him better. If this is his new coach's idea she should be immediately fired.:disapp:

Otherwise, keep going, his skating is still a joy to watch even if his jumps are not there.:agree:

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
:scratch2: No coach? Does she want any specific coach in her mind?

It looks like the Chinese fed does not have a lot of resources. Qing Pang might be a good as art coach, but isn't she supposed to be together with her husband, not in another continent? If they are willing to relocated Han Yan to the U.S., why didn't they choose a different coach other than Mingzhu Li?

Zijun Li is training by herself, currently no coach since this summer.

The Chinese fed had assigned mingzhu li and Qing pang as her coach. But for some reason, she was not happy with the arrangement and decided to train alone.