2016 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Ladies SP

stella luna

Final Flight
And THIS is why lenient technical panels are a BAD THING. Here's Mirai all pleased that she's landed a "clean" triple triple. Except, the replay shows it probably should have been called <. She thinks she's fixed the problem and she hasn't, and no doubt she'll look all startled and upset the next time she goes to competition and it DOES get dinged and her fans will cry bloody murder and so on.

So you might be really unhappy if she medals, huh? :rolleye: It's not as if she would be the first to have errors overlooked, if what you are saying is true.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So you might be really unhappy if she medals, huh? :rolleye: It's not as if she would be the first to have errors overlooked, if what you are saying is true.

I looked at the replay and it looked OK to me. Jumps are allowed to be slightly under-rotated (by less than a quarter turn). I'm not saying hers was, just that some people seem to think perfection is the standard.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Absolutely! I was more responding to the notion that the pre-rotations explained her consistency. I thought I read that in the thread but maybe I imagined it.

No, you didn't imagine it. People actually think she's only consistent because she pre-rotates or has small jumps. I'm just going to quote a post from her fan fest thread.

I don't understand why people think that small jumps are easier.I did figure skating for a long time,and I assure that there isn't a easy way to do the jumps.Satoko doesn't jump very high but she rotates fast,and that is not easy to do. So I bet most of the people who say that never skated or did double jumps (or triples).

One more thing; she is changing her technique and her jumps are better now than last season or two seasons ago. Her coaches mentioned she's a slow learner and is not naturally gifted as an athlete so she has to work twice as much as everyone else. She is aware of her bad technique and she is working to change it. When she practices, she always does full run-throughs of her programs.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I don't think that jumping like Satoko is easy. What she does is mind-boggling. Just to make it look like everything is fine in realtime, when it clearly isn't is impressive in itself.
But that's not the point. The point is that the tech panels, for whatever reason, go easy on her. And that's not fair.
And I don't think that her coaching team will change anything substantial because she's been treated so generously by the tech panels and the judges. Why should they? Risk her consistency? Risk an edge call on the flip again? No way, they're not stupid. She'll become 4CC champion and she'll medal at Worlds. And if she's able to keep her weight down she'll do that again next season. And because she's a hard worker and a dedicated athlete she'll be able to do it.As long as the tech panels and the judges treat her the way they do Satoko will never become a better jumper.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The panel can't call what they can't see. Your argument should be against the ISU for not having slo-mo of take-offs. Satoko, the tech panel, and the judges are not to blame.

ioanna

Record Breaker
No matter how overscored she will get, she will keep working on her jumps and her coaches have mentioned she still has a lot of work to do. I'm just quoting Satoko herself and her coaches. In every interview she has given so far, she kept insisting that she is not satisfied with her jumps and will not be until she will fix them. You can think she/her coaching team won't do anything because she gets awarded anyway but that doesn't mean it's true. The changes won't happen overnight, they will happen slowly just like they've been happening so far.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The rule book does not allow slow-mo for calling pre-rotation. So yeah, that is that. Those who slo-mo are looking for trouble when there is none.

You don't need slow-mo to see it. The pre-rotation is obvious. Also, this line of reasoning, of choosing to ignore it, is the same as any kind of argument where people are told they should ignore an abhorrent social construct just because "that is the rule".

Layback11

Record Breaker
Just wrote a long "open letter" to the American ladies for luck in the FS (which I promptly deleted), the basic gist of which was:

"Look, I get it, you're headcases, and nothing I can do will change that. It's out of my hands, and all I want is for you to skate clean, because I have somehow reached a concerning level of emotional investment in your skating and I really do care about all of you. So yeah, please don't fall five times and break my heart and skate over it again. Sincerely, me."

It was far more poetic than that.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You don't need slow-mo to see it. The pre-rotation is obvious. Also, this line of reasoning, of choosing to ignore it, is the same as any kind of argument where people are told they should ignore an abhorrent social construct just because "that is the rule".

This is completely true. You definitely don't need slow-mo to see pre-rotation. Just like you don't need it to see a skater who under-rotates. It may not be obvious on TV. However, it is completely clear when you see it live. I don't remember seeing anyone per-rotate but, I saw Jennifer Robinson under-rotate a jump right in front of me in 2001. You can also "Hear" an under-rotated jump as it makes a "Ka Chick" sound. Irina Slutskaya under- rotated the second half of her triple sal, triple loop, at the same event and live....It's as clear as day. On TV not so much. That's why I hope every fan gets to attend a major event at some point in their life. They're amazing.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
May I suggest "Mashed Potatoes?"

For example: "there's no way she'll put together two clean programs; one could be good, but the other's always Mashed Potatoes."

:biggrin:

The ladies FS is today. I wonder which ladies will serve up a generous helping of mashed potatoes this time... with gravy. :dev2:

Meoima

Match Penalty
This is completely true. You definitely don't need slow-mo to see pre-rotation. Just like you don't need it to see a skater who under-rotates. It may not be obvious on TV. However, it is completely clear when you see it live. I don't remember seeing anyone per-rotate but, I saw Jennifer Robinson under-rotate a jump right in front of me in 2001. You can also "Hear" an under-rotated jump as it makes a "Ka Chick" sound. Irina Slutskaya under- rotated the second half of her triple sal, triple loop, at the same event and live....It's as clear as day. On TV not so much. That's why I hope every fan gets to attend a major event at some point in their life. They're amazing.
Well most skaters at my rink only do doubles but the UR is also quite clear in real time. And yes Satoko is quick but my friend at 4CC last season also said her jumps look so questionable. Her 2A is somewhat okay-ish. But the toe jumps... :rolleye:

champs

Final Flight
I love how "pre-rotating 180 degrees or more is a cheated takeoff" has become "pre-rotation is obvious without slomos and it's cheating" now as if no one needed slomo videos like Sam's Jumpamatron in the first place.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think she has a wonderful lilt about her skating regardless of the pretotations but as for Gold I think tis was a tragedy a travesty how she scored so high.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I love how "pre-rotating 180 degrees or more is a cheated takeoff" has become "pre-rotation is obvious without slomos and it's cheating" now as if no one needed slomo videos like Sam's Jumpamatron in the first place.

Agreed. No one is arguing that the take-offs aren't cheated. The question is whether the panel can definitively say so when presented with a jump without the benefit of slow motion. Given how many times Gracie's flip hasn't gotten an edge call this season makes me think the tech panel isn't adequately equipped to make these important determinations.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
180 degrees is the allowed amount. Slow-motion should be used in all fairness, but in this day and age any tech panel should understand and be able to see, in at least some regard, when a takeoff is cheated. Even without exact slow-motion confirmation you can say a takeoff like Miyahara's is cheated by at least 1/8 of a rotation (she actually cheats 1/4 or sometimes even more) and take that into consideration.

samm22

On the Ice
Agreed. No one is arguing that the take-offs aren't cheated. The question is whether the panel can definitively say so when presented with a jump without the benefit of slow motion. Given how many times Gracie's flip hasn't gotten an edge call this season makes me think the tech panel isn't adequately equipped to make these important determinations.

I agree with this completely. The amount of time Evgenia hasn't been called for her flutz has been discouraging to say the least, not to mention the inconsistent calls on Gracie's flip