2016 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Mens SP

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Shoma Uno- this cutie has so much power into his skate, I just can't breathe. Amazing guy! Please do a clean clean skate in LP!:luv17:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Get ready for two spots for the American Men. Max is probably not gonna sniff ANYWHERE near the top 6. The only way he will is if he makes no mistakes at Worlds, and at least 2 ahead of him screw up.

Jin, Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Uno, and probably Yan and Kovtun will be ahead of him, and Bychenko and Brezina if they do their European shorts, will probably be right near him.

Not sure about Bychenko or Brezina, but Denis Ten for sure. + Mikhail Kolyada as Russian new hope.

So happy for Jin and Shoma. Although I would give Jin not higher than 95 but the fact is his skating has improved during this season and seeing this improvement affects the judges' scoring as they are also humans like us. I'm so happy that men FS is at 9:00 pm mountain time on 20th and I can watch it live on my birthday, looking forward for it.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Boyang Jin had impressed me so much today- he looked like a gentleman (great hair!) and the jumps were ah-mazing! Great SP. Just great.
(Basically he looked like he had visited a SPA before the competitions, so cool!;):laugh:)

Patrick- you are Patrick Chan! You have to fight man! Fight! I am not one of your biggest fans but I want you to have a great skate in LP- as clean and solid as you can only deliver.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Overall men had a great competition today. Hope LP will bring awesome performances from all the leaders. Seriously guys- don't save it for the Worlds, give us the best of you in LP! Good luck everyone!:cheer:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Not sure about Bychenko or Brezina, but Denis Ten for sure. + Mikhail Kolyada as Russian new hope.

Ah I've forgotten about Ten. If he's healthy and ready, sure, then put him up there as well. Bychenko had a great Europeans, and Brezina, before his ~typical~ implosion, had a decent short.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Get ready for two spots for the American Men. Max is probably not gonna sniff ANYWHERE near the top 6. The only way he will is if he makes no mistakes at Worlds, and at least 2 ahead of him screw up.

Jin, Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Uno, and probably Yan and Kovtun will be ahead of him, and Bychenko and Brezina if they do their European shorts, will probably be right near him.

Brezina? He's even worse off than Max. These days the only thing you can count on with Brezina is that he'll polish the ice a few times.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love Michal, but yes, I would be really suprised (pleasntly of course!) if he'll be in top10 at Worlds. He wasn't able skate both SP & LP clean even once this season and he has competed quite a lot. Alexei Bychenko was 4th at Euros last season, but 17th at Worlds, so he's also a little gamble. I know they both did fairly well in SP at Euros, it would be nice if they can repeat performance with (much) better LP in case of Michal :)

zschultz1986

Final Flight
I'm talking about after the Short. No doubt, Brezina will fall a few times, it just depends when. Brezina could be around Max after the short, if he skates well (which is a big if.)

However, Brezina aside, there are 5 skaters I can comfortably put ahead of Max, regardless of what Max does: Hanyu, Fernandez, Jin, Uno, Chan. There are 3 more I can see being even or ahead of Max, all things being equal: Yan, Kovtun, and Bychenko. Bychenko looks better than he did last year, so I'd be guessing he moves up. Ten is a wild card, depends on if he's healthy and if he's ready. We also have to think about a clean Adam Rippon coming into play here.

That's 8 (9 if you include Ten, and 10 if Adam is in the mix.) I'd say that we should be ready for Max to be 7-12th, and for American men to lose a spot. It's not all Max's problem though, I'm just being rough on him because he's gonna have the responsibility as the national champion. It was gonna be hard for the men to keep three spots even if the team was a fully healthy and ready Jason, a ready Max, and Nathan Chen/Adam Rippon.

I hope Adam, Max, and Grant can skate very well for themselves and keep three spots, because it'll be imperative to get those three spots so we can have Jason, Max, and Nathan going next year and putting down good skates at a very crucial Worlds (the one before the Olympics.) However, I'm very down on their chances at this point.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would say, "That's fine," too.

But I am not a competitive athlete. I think what Mrs. P. was calling attention to was not the fact that Patrick is back in fifth place but rather that this seems to be all he is aiming at. You enter a competition to win, not to place fifth, excuses at the ready.

He has stated that his comeback is a process. Obviously he wants to win but I think his priority is to skate well. His focus is Worlds and this competition is to prepare himself for that. If he wins Four Continents (a competition he has already won twice), great... but that isn't his main motivation to do this competition - much like others competing here, it's about setting himself up for Worlds. I don't think he would want to win either if all the guys bombed and he was the best of the worst.

I highly doubt 5th is all Patrick is aiming for, but his expectations in a comeback season are more realistic and there's no point beating himself up, especially after putting out his best program (internationally) since his comeback this year. It must have been a huge relief for him to get through the elements and put out a somewhat solid performance (especially with Jin throwing down an almost insurmountable score).

zschultz1986

Final Flight
He has stated that his comeback is a process. Obviously he wants to win but I think his priority is to skate well. His focus is Worlds and this competition is to prepare himself for that. If he wins Four Continents (a competition he has already won twice), great... but that isn't his main motivation to do this competition - much like others competing here, it's about setting himself up for Worlds. I don't think he would want to win either if all the guys bombed and he was the best of the worst.

I highly doubt 5th is all Patrick is aiming for, but his expectations in a comeback season are more realistic and there's no point beating himself up, especially after putting out his best program (internationally) since his comeback this year. It must have been a huge relief for him to get through the elements and put out a somewhat solid performance (especially with Jin throwing down an almost insurmountable score).

As someone who WAS a competitive athlete, and a competitive athlete who used to get WAY too focused on results (to the point where it would inform my whole mood about my sport, diving.) Chan has the RIGHT mindset. It's not being fine with your result, it's being fine with your performance. Especially considering this is probably his best international short this year. He didn't fall on anything, and didn't Zayak. The Triple-Double does suck, but eh, it's a building process. Honestly, unless looking at the score motivates you to work hard and better, you shouldn't even look at the score as a skater. Your coach should look at the score and you should talk with your coach about what you did good, what you did bad, etc. The score is not a number for you, as a skater. It's for the judges, the coach, and the fans.

As fans, we focus on results, that's just how we are. That's how I am as a fan. However, I can also appreciate, someone who gave a good or better performance for them, regardless of result. Fans see each competition as a one off. Coaches and mindful athletes see them in terms of: "Did I improve or did I have a setback and how can I overcome it?" For Chan, this is year one of a three year plan.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would say, "That's fine," too.

But I am not a competitive athlete. I think what Mrs. P. was calling attention to was not the fact that Patrick is back in fifth place but rather that this seems to be all he is aiming at. You enter a competition to win, not to place fifth, excuses at the ready.

It was more of an observation. He spent like half the K&C criticizing himself and then all of a sudden he's like "It's fine. This is fine." It was just an amusing reaction to me because clearly he was mad cause he wanted to do better, then he switched over quickly.

But if it helps him do well and move up in the FS, then it doesn't matter how I react to the reaction, LOL. :laugh:

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I don't get too much all that confusion about Chan skating. He never was consistent skater. He has put some good LP's this season, and he is just messing SP. I don't see anything diffrent from how it was before :biggrin: It's just that competition level is higher and he is now in 5th place rather then being in 3rd or 2nd like before with skate like that :)

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As someone who WAS a competitive athlete, and a competitive athlete who used to get WAY too focused on results (to the point where it would inform my whole mood about my sport, diving.) Chan has the RIGHT mindset. It's not being fine with your result, it's being fine with your performance. Especially considering this is probably his best international short this year. He didn't fall on anything, and didn't Zayak. The Triple-Double does suck, but eh, it's a building process. Honestly, unless looking at the score motivates you to work hard and better, you shouldn't even look at the score as a skater. Your coach should look at the score and you should talk with your coach about what you did good, what you did bad, etc. The score is not a number for you, as a skater. It's for the judges, the coach, and the fans.

As fans, we focus on results, that's just how we are. That's how I am as a fan. However, I can also appreciate, someone who gave a good or better performance for them, regardless of result. Fans see each competition as a one off. Coaches and mindful athletes see them in terms of: "Did I improve or did I have a setback and how can I overcome it?" For Chan, this is year one of a three year plan.

Precisely. If all the guys bombed here and Patrick led them, I don't think Patrick want to win that way. Similarly, if Jin goes all out, I'm sure he's fine with losing to him. You said it, he's looking at each performance as whether it's a setback or progress, and even with the errors, I'd say that SP was progress.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Overall men had a great competition today. Hope LP will bring awesome performances from all the leaders. Seriously guys- don't save it for the Worlds, give us the best of you in LP! Good luck everyone!:cheer:

I couldn't agree more. I thought Boyang Jin looked more grown up than he did two months ago. Loved the performances today and, yeah, I thought Patrick would keep it together a bit better. So looking forward to Worlds, with Yuzu, Javi as the ones to beat and Kolyada and Bychenko (and very hopefully an in-form Kovtun) as added spice! :cool14:

noskates

Record Breaker
I totally disagree that Patrick was never a consistent skater. He hasn't been since he's returned but then I do think he's taking things slowly and building up to Worlds. When you take a year off you don't just automagically get back to your pre-hiatus level. And anybody who puts in the time that an elite skater has to put in is NOT going to aim for 5th place and be satisfied with it. He knows he's on camera when he's in the K&C and he's going to temper his remarks accordingly. He first comes off the ice disgusted with his performance and then - whoa baby - they're taping this. I have great hopes for him and I do hope he pulls it all together before Worlds (since I'll be there...heh!heh!) but I enjoy his skating far more than the jump fests of the other skaters. Just a personal opinion.

I feel Max's lack of skating skills is going to hurt him in the long run. He's made great improvements but isn't there yet. So to succeed, his jumps have to be perfect and that hasn't happened lately. I have no idea which Adam is going to show up at Worlds. He has the goods but has trouble delivering. It's nice to see someone like Grant Hochstein get a chance to compete with the big boys.

dlo2113

Rinkside
I totally disagree that Patrick was never a consistent skater. He hasn't been since he's returned but then I do think he's taking things slowly and building up to Worlds. When you take a year off you don't just automagically get back to your pre-hiatus level. And anybody who puts in the time that an elite skater has to put in is NOT going to aim for 5th place and be satisfied with it.

Yuna Kim, who took two years off, would argue otherwise. Let's not pretend it's impossible.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... It's not all Max's problem though, I'm just being rough on him because he's gonna have the responsibility as the national champion. ...

Huh? Is it that crazy ISU bio listing that is playing tricks ;) with people's memories of the placements at Nats??

To be serious: I think Adam -- the reigning national champion -- and Max will be very supportive of each other as they share the responsibility.

Keeping three spots is going to be an uphill battle for them in Boston.
But my mantra will be Never say never :yes:.

Meanwhile, hugs to Max and to Ross after the SP :ghug:. And congratulations to Grant for being the top US man.
Best to all in the FS.