2016 Rostelecom Cup - Ladies SP | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup - Ladies SP

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Look at the protocols:
PCS

Judge n.5 Ms. Wendy ENZMANN from USA

is overscoring (compared to all other judges) the three Russians and Courtney Hicks
and it's not using the same criteria when is scoring the other competitors.

What? i don't know why but after worlds where she hugged Mirai after her SP, i've the feeling she is the american version of Alla Shekhovtseva.

mrrice

Record Breaker
But would she have become the skater she is if she were from any other country?

That is the question.

I dare to answer: no, she wouldn't.

I think this an Excellent Question. My answer is, maybe. As everyone knows, I have loved Maria Butyrskaya since the day I laid eyes on her in 1992. I'm not even Russian and she was, and is an inspiration to me. Also, through my constant references to her career, using videos and stories, she became an inspiration to my students as well. I would love to hear the Russian Ladies talk about Maria and Irina and see if they were inspired by there success and more importantly, their longevity.

applemango

Rinkside
Just watched the video where Evgenia supposedly made fun of Elena. Seriously? People are looking too much into it. It's reaching to think she was making fun of Elena.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Seriously?! Forget artistic vision, no wonder she got away and good on her! It must be really difficult to train alone though so I hope she finds some solution for her situation. Fingers crossed.

Limiting water intake is too much for me too!!! I did not look up her coach's name.
The thing is Li Mingzhu trained Chen Lu (World Champ and Olympic Bronze Medalist).
I do not know what is say about that!:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Urmanov is looking old... I don't like the grey hair on him.

Really? I think he looks way hotter. :cool:

Just watched the top 3 ladies; will watch the others later.

Julia: Honestly, I watched her first. I like the program—smooth choreography with dash of sensuality. The view of her flip was pretty damning though, she needs to work on that edge. Her next competition is Nationals so the panel might be willing to ignore it (or ! like they did here) if she does well overall and send her off to the second half of the season. On a superficial note, she's quite stunning; I don't know if it's the make-up that's highlighting her eyes, but she has a twinkle that I haven't ever seen. She just looks so happy compared to when she was Eteri—sunny Lipnitskaya indeed. I don't know if she can get through the free skate, but I hope she proves me wrong.

Anna: Loved it! Undeniably the best Russian skater along with Sotnikova—she was so fast here! If she's consistent throughout this season, I can see her winning Worlds over Medvedeva. She's faster, she has better jumps, choreography, and a more cohesive program (go Misha!). It's awesome to see her pull off a sexy program without overdoing it; I even liked the tacky step sequence remix. Those illusions in her CCoSp though... girl no. Adelina, give the next Olympic champion a lesson on how to do them. Much appreciated.

Elena: She's so charismatic, but this music does not do her any favors. What is with choreographers using these atrocious Gershwin pieces on string instruments? I blame Alex Ouriashev and Gracie Gold. I thought the step sequence was cute, but she was definitely over scored.

Eclair

Medalist
Limiting water intake is too much for me too!!! I did not look up her coach's name.
The thing is Li Mingzhu trained Chen Lu (World Champ and Olympic Bronze Medalist).
and they parted in frosty terms (Lu Chen and Coach Li Mingzhu)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
It definetly was VERY difficult. In one interview Zijun said that the hardest thing for her is not the strict diet (restricting her food intake) but it was the restricted water intake that was the hardest! Because apparent her coach thought even though water doesn't have calories, it still weights a lot....
We hear a lot of young girls struggling with their food intake - which is very hard alone, but being thristy seems to be just a new level of cruelty.
I guess this is also partly the reason why I'm so annoyed by Zijun's underscorings. She's an intelligent, brave, young lady who is giving her best trying to prove to herself and her federation (my assumption) that she doesn't have to be coached by that harsh coach to be successful and the judges just ignore her good side, giving her mere 29 PCS. She doesn't have a strong federation in her back and I'm just feel sad that what she does is not aknowledged. Her grace and Skating skill and staying in character from beginning to end is just ignored.

Yes, I see, thank you so much for sharing that with us. Restricting water can also be very dangerous, dehydration is just looming around the corner, considering the amount of physical effort they put in. I cannot believe this is even being allowed but I'm really happy she's away from that, it sounds like it is a recipe for disaster, on both accounts.

I agree with you she should have been closer in scores but you should definitely take a look at the judging panel too. I wonder if her federation is not happy with her, since the Russian scored her higher than the Chinese (who wasn't the worst though). Sigh. I really dislike this whole PCS thing this year.

Last edited:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
can't wait to see Russian Nat. Gonna be soooo. hooooottttt....

BTW we haven't seen Maria SOTSKOVA yet.

Eclair

Medalist
Yes, I see, thank you so much for sharing that with us. Restricting water can also be very dangerous, dehydration is just looming around the corner, considering the amount of physical effort they put in. I cannot believe this is even being allowed but I'm really happy she's away from that, it sounds like it is a recipe for disaster, on both accounts.

I agree with you she should have been closer in scores but you should definitely take a look at the judging panel too. I wonder if her federation is not happy with her, since the Russian scored her higher than the Chinese (who wasn't the worst though). Sigh. I really dislike this whole PCS thing this year.

My guess is that the Kazahstan judge knew the fourth place was between Zijun and Elizabeth and wanted to give the edge to Elizabeth. But that's just pure speculation. What is clear is, that the third lowest PCs came from the chinese judge. Her federation is definetly being hard on her for not following according to plan and training with Coach Li Mingzhu ... So sad for Zijun ...

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I loved Zijun in the past, and I thought she did well here, but still I don't have the feeling she was that underscored. At times her program felt almost static. She looks much more mature, but for some reason also pale, I think this dark look doesn't do her any favours.

I think there is so much potential in Zijun's abilities. She is one of the most naturally elegant and graceful skaters in the field who happens to be quite consistent at competitions. But they judges tend to forger her and care about her.
I think this SP lacks her expressions and energy, and yes, these dark look doesn't do her favours. But IMO she could be SO much better with a coach who knows how to sell the program + also with a new choreographer who would choreograph her more lively, interesting programs. The potential is there.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, I just watched Julia and I simply can't get over how much she has matured. I love the music, the costume and her opening combo was HUGE. The flip will come but, where is her Lutz? This program is so pretty and her skating is beautiful but, will she ever beat Med or Anna without a Lutz?

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
This and every other ladies competition thread gets turned into steaming garbage by all of you trolls who whine about overscoring and then the rest of you who feed the trolls.

To those of you with actual thoughts on scoring: maybe if you didn't act like children and whine and complain you would be taken seriously. Understand other points of view and why other fans/judges agree with the scores. State your opinion like an adult and remember that you aren't the fountain of all skating knowledge and then maybe the people who want to defend scores will treat you with respect in return.

With other words, everyone should have the same opinion as you, because only you are "the fountain of all skating knowledge" and everyone else is just "childish". Okay then....

sneakers

Match Penalty
Ok, I just watched Julia and I simply can't get over how much she has matured. I love the music, the costume and her opening combo was HUGE. The flip will come but, where is her Lutz? This program is so pretty and her skating is beautiful but, will ever beat Med or Anna without a Lutz?

she is coming back from injury where she withdrew from skate america

Eclair

Medalist
I think there is so much potential in Zijun's abilities. She is one of the most naturally elegant and graceful skaters in the field who happens to be quite consistent at competitions. But they judges tend to forger her and care about her.
I think this SP lacks her expressions and energy, and yes, these dark look doesn't do her favours. But IMO she could be SO much better with a coach who knows how to sell the program + also with a new choreographer who would choreograph her more lively, interesting programs. The potential is there.

I too think Zijun has so much talent and potential and wish she could get a coach who knows what he's doing. Caroll, Orser or Rafaell. About her black dress, I have to admit that I also thought that red would be more suitable to the music ... THough I don't know how much financial support Zijun gets from her federation for dresses, now that she left her coach. I saw a picture of her mom sewing on that black dress:laugh: maybe it was just some last correction, but it could also be a real cinderella story with the federation being the negletive stepmom ;)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I've said Osmond was overscored, but not egregiously so. Radionova getting a personal best with an obvious error is a worse example of home cooking. Same with Kolyada getting a PB with an error.

Are you kidding me? Kaetlyn got the PB in the FS (over 10 points above her previous PB) at SC with a fall and several mistakes.

Kolyada deserved these marks, i remember Javi and Juzuru getting the pb with more mistakes and falls.

Elena got 71 at Worlds with the same mistake here but on the Flip instead, so i think her score is coherent and with a clean performance she can get a new PB at the cup of china.

So far no home cooking for Russia here, compared to SA and SC.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd switch Elena and Yulia and bring up Elizabet and Zijun in terms of a few more points, they're too far for my taste.

It's curious that when you look at the judges, the Russian didn't low-ball Zijun at all. It was Kazakhstan and Slovakia. Actually the Russian judge scored her higher than the Chinese!

GOE was far from fine. Chan's was inflated while Hanyu was low-balled. Result was not correct. And no, I'm not too happy with some of the GOE today either. Ah well.

Sorry, I should have specified when I said the "Result was correct". I meant to say "The Result was correct... unless you're a diehard Hanyu fan who assumes he is deserving of no less than straight +3s on any and every clean element, that no skater other than Hanyu is deserving of top-notch GOE/almost straight +3s on any clean element they execute (e.g. Chan's FS 4T+3T), or assume Hanyu's incapable of losing to another skater such as Chan -- even when he absolutely bombs his SP."

Hanyu's 4L and 4S normally could garner up to 24 points (GOE included). In his SP with the 4L<< and bad 3S, he got 6.2 points, and in his FS, with the 4L<< and 2S, he only got about 4.5 points (3.5 with the fall deduction). So out of 48 potential points, he earned less than 10. Not to mention he also gave up 5 points by failing to execute a +3T combo in his SP. So before you start blaming the minutia of slightly higher/lower GOE, maybe consider other factors -- like missing out on a potential 43 points.

GOE would not have made a difference in the final result. Even if Hanyu got slightly higher GOE, he was behind by almost 4 points -- mathematically, an extra +1 here and there on Hanyu's GOE and -1 less on Chan's GOE here and there would not make up that much of a difference... unless you believe practically every element was underscored for Hanyu and overscored for Chan, which wasn't the case. There is certainly a double standard - people cry foul that Chan's 3T quad or 2Z+2T+1L got positive overall GOE but then ignore Hanyu's 2S+3T. And the reality is, Hanyu buried himself in the SP, and was unable to make up for it. He still won the FS by a healthy 7 points (Chan had costly errors, but of course Hanyu's 4L<< and 2S gave up tons of points too). It was a messy competition from both skaters and when the math was all tallied up, Chan came out ahead. Also, as you've noted by the Russian judge with Zijun, people have pointed out that the Japanese judge gave Hanyu harsh GOE when everyone expected it to be another judge.

Last edited:

skatefan22

Medalist
According to CCTV5 commentator, Zijun is going to be coached by Mishin. So the Chinese fed is actually doing everything they can to find her the best coach.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
couldnt watch it live and only watched Elizabet for now , what a freak fall!! ohh Elizabet, she would have gotten around 68!! at least she looks to be in good form, also her english seems really good even from small talks, good luck to you in LP!!! :hap57::cheer:

and well done to judge no 4 for giving Elizabet's stsq +3 GOE! :love::luv17:

Last edited: