2016 Skate America Men's FS | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Men's FS

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ok, Kurt didn't get "Juke"? :confused2: well, based on much he loved Jason this year, I'll forgive him, but Juke was wonderful, authentic to the period, not cheesy, and....

el henry, Juke was goddamn awful. And I love Jason. And then when Rohene destroyed the perfectly good costume it just added to the awful.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
People visiting that thread will see excited fans showing pride and love for a skater, no different from any other fan fest thread. Where are all these examples of people having 'lost all perspective' in that thread? Very lacking, I would say, so I fail to see why you said that.

Uhm... I just did. And yes there are happy, rightfully excited posts about how well Shoma did. And then there are those flat out saying the comments in here are all just negative bickering obviously only happening because the Yuzu fans are afraid of Shoma. I find those posts to be just as bad as the bad comments in here if we want to talk about pulling this rivalry into nasty waters - and obviously worse than the majority here, which yes, is criticism. Maybe annoying, repetitive criticism, but still valid in the points that are made :shrug:

padme21

On the Ice
To be fair I don't think all the negative bickering is happening just because Yuzuru fans are afraid of Shoma. (I'm a Yuzuru fan and I'm not afraid of Shoma. I see Shoma as one of the many men who are chasing him and Javier) It's mostly happening because everybody has their own opinions and their own preferences of what they like to see in men's skating. It's apples and oranges.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
People visiting that thread will see excited fans showing pride and love for a skater, no different from any other fan fest thread. Where are all these examples of people having 'lost all perspective' in that thread? Very lacking, I would say, so I fail to see why you said that.

Yes, you would fail to see why I said so, I am not even remotely surprised.

But if you're so worried about bad blood, maybe you should consider giving your friends in the fanfest a little tip - next time they think it's appropriate to swing around statements that concern 'nitpicking', 'downtalking', 'whining', 'hairsplitting', suggestions and outright statements that this is because it's not the actual skate we have a problem with but we fear for our favorite, and when they talking about using a completely different skater in their little arguments, suggesting not particularly nice things,

I cannot stand the nitpicking and downtalking of Shoma's great performance in the Skate America threads ...

People can whine as much as they want about how Shoma does too much 2 footed skating, doesn't have enough transitions, does too many crossovers...

Ha ha! You sound like me. I had to stop reading all the nitpicking and hairsplitting over everything wrong (?) with Shoma's programs. Could they possibly be worried that he's starting to catch up to his top rivals? Maybe they should be looking over their shoulders.

It's not even the dislike of the actual skate it's the rivalry against their favourite.

I haven't gone to the SA Men thread, but I heard about people saying he shouldn't have had higher PCS than Brown (lol)
It would be interesting to see the comments if Jason Brown wins over Yuzuru one day. I don't think it'll happen soon, but if it does....I'm curious to see what the reaction will be like.

But we are seeing Shoma's rise to where he deserves to be and that is going to ruffle feathers.

it would cause far less problems if they left that here where they can actually get an an answer instead of hiding behind the fanfest rules. Causes far less bad blood than a few people expressing a few critical observations concerning particular things about Shoma's skating while praising the rest unless you absolutely cannot stand even the smallest amount of criticism, in which case, not reading competition threads in the first place seems like an ideal solution. In case you're wondering why I was there, it was because I like Shoma quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm so done with this talk. Good luck to you, and be very careful of those awful Hanyu fans and other 'nitpickers' in the future when things really start to matter!

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker

But if you're so worried about bad blood, maybe you should consider giving your friends in the fanfest a little tip - next time they think it's appropriate to swing around statements that concern 'nitpicking', 'downtalking', 'whining', 'hairsplitting', suggestions and outright statements that this is because it's not the actual skate we have a problem with but we fear for our favorite, and when they talking about using a completely different skater in their little arguments, suggesting not particularly nice things,

it would cause far less problems if they left that here where they can actually get an an answer instead of hiding behind the fanfest rules. Causes far less bad blood than a few people expressing a few critical observations concerning particular things about Shoma's skating while praising the rest unless you absolutely cannot stand even the smallest amount of criticism, in which case, not reading competition threads in the first place seems like an ideal solution. In case you're wondering why I was there, it was because I like Shoma quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm so done with this talk. Good luck to you, and be very careful of those awful Hanyu fans and other 'nitpickers' in the future when things really start to matter!

1. You didn't criticise that originally. You said that people had already awarded him the gold medal already.
2. I haven't said any Hanyu fans are awful nor anything else derogatory about those fans.
3. I can stand quite a bit more than the 'smallest amount of criticism' thanks.
4. I don't have friends in the fan fest. Just fellow posters.
5. Have you ever read any fan fests? Practically every single one, yes, including Yuzu's, has some moaning about their fave's treatment in The Edge.

Anyway, all I wanted to do was call out the untruth in your original assertion. I've done that. I'm done too.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Uhm... I just did. And yes there are happy, rightfully excited posts about how well Shoma did. And then there are those flat out saying the comments in here are all just negative bickering obviously only happening because the Yuzu fans are afraid of Shoma. I find those posts to be just as bad as the bad comments in here if we want to talk about pulling this rivalry into nasty waters - and obviously worse than the majority here, which yes, is criticism. Maybe annoying, repetitive criticism, but still valid in the points that are made :shrug:

I'm not saying that any criticism here of Shoma is bad. Criticise away. I objected to one factual inaccuracy of what had been said. As for the comments of some in the fanfest about 'negative bickering' it isn't something I've said. In my view one has to always keep in mind the difference between The Edge and a fan fest. However, comments moaning about negativity in The Edge towards a fave are, as I said above, not a rarity in fan fests. I have certainly seen many such in other fan fests, including Hanyu's.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
1. You didn't criticise that originally. You said that people had already awarded him the gold medal already.
2. I haven't said any Hanyu fans are awful nor anything else derogatory about those fans.
3. I can stand quite a bit more than the 'smallest amount of criticism' thanks.
4. I don't have friends in the fan fest. Just fellow posters.
5. Have you ever read any fan fests? Practically every single one, yes, including Yuzu's, has some moaning about their fave's treatment in The Edge.

Anyway, all I wanted to do was call out the untruth in your original assertion. I've done that. I'm done too.

Well, I've decided I'm not done because no.

1. Yes, I did and explained what I meant by that ie people losing perspective, which you keep denying, showing them as

In the interests of fairness don't drag lots of nice, excited fans who love this skater into your petty squabble.

Neither of which is true, since you're so invested in the truth because a) they dragged themselves into the 'squabble' when they started talking about this thread in the FF, attacking Yuzuru posters and implying some ugly things about them and b) as noted above, they aren't all 'excited fans showing pride and love for a skater' now are they?

2)stop shifting the goalposts because it is you who kept asserting that they haven't lost perspective when the above is pretty much losing perspective, if that's the reaction over some criticism over his transition and PCS.

3)Never said you in particular said anything derogatory towards Hanyu fans. Your fellow posters in the FF however did, those you keep describing as excited, nice fans, in a place where they are safe from answers.

4)Apologies. You should tell your fellow posters then that, especially as you see fit to come here, preaching about turning posters against each other.

5)I have been to FF threads and irrelevant because it is you who made the two above assertions that poor Shoma fans in that thread are being unfairly dragged into all of this, fans just showing pride and love for a skater and that it is posts here that are causing issues. In the future, don't make those assertions and problem solved.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Ok then. Well I am off to bed so apologies for my obviously awful conduct and let's leave it there, eh?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dumb Question Alert!!!! Who was the crying girl who hugged Jason Brown before he hugged Kori......She was adorable...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtbZP688V9w

Not dumb, and didn't that moment just sum up Jason's entire performance? As far as I know, she was just a random volunteer or stadium employee assigned to open the gate by the boards, and overcome by the moment. And she was adorbs:luv17:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Dumb Question Alert!!!! Who was the crying girl who hugged Jason Brown before he hugged Kori......She was adorable...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtbZP688V9w

She was the gate marshal, whose job was basically to open and close the gate, and I think in that moment, we were all the gate marshal. I was crying in my lounge room, so I can only imagine how much better that would have been in person.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
She was the gate marshal, whose job was basically to open and close the gate, and I think in that moment, we were all the gate marshal. I was crying in my lounge room, so I can only imagine how much better that would have been in person.

It was great in person! When Jason landed his quad, Kori and Rohene hugged each other, they were so happy. It's fun to watch the behind-the-scenes, there's so much to look at. Of course, jumps or splits landed right in front of you can't be beat either!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It was great in person! When Jason landed his quad, Kori and Rohene hugged each other, they were so happy. It's fun to watch the behind-the-scenes, there's so much to look at. Of course, jumps or splits landed right in front of you can't be beat either!

Ha that's really funny about Kori and Rohene hugging - in this icenetwork article, Kori says, "it didn't make my heart skip a beat or anything dramatic like that."

Well, I guess technically hugging someone is different than your heart skipping a beat. ;)

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/10/23/206957530/maturing-uno-hits-new-high-at-skate-america

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Apparently giving analysis and opinion that is backed up with fact (and judges scores) is now considered 'nitpicking' and is bad? Apparently saying that while Shoma RIGHTFULLY WON, (and I guess I have to bold that because all ubers will see is criticism and then immediately get defensive) his PCS IN SPECIFIC CATEGORIES should not have been as high as Jason Brown's because HE HAD A FAR LESS AMOUNT OF TRANSITIONS, AND BY MY COUNT: 1 IN THE SECOND HALF , he had a fall, and the second half of the program was not up to his level because it was basically: two-foot skating, jump, two-foot skating, jump. If there WERE transitions in the second half, it would look FAR less monotonous, IMO, and I would be fine with the high Performance and Transitions scores. Heck, the program may just be bare-bones, and he may add in more transitional content as the year goes and he paces the program better. Who knows? All I know is that the program, AS IS, the one he skated at Skate America, should not be getting the PCS that he is getting in those two categories.

I love ubers. Their jimmies are so easily rustled. Trust, I used to be a Michelle uber. As I have aged, I have come to appreciate ALL skaters (yes even Tara and Sasha.) However, that also lets me be critical of skaters when I need to be. The thing is, you could probably call me a semi-Jason uber. However, I understand that the jump difficulty aspect of his skating has to rise for him to be considered a true threat, unless other people make mistakes. I know that he was 4th in 2015 because he was basically pristine and others made mistakes. I have no delusions that he will be a medalist unless 1) he has one quad in the short and two in the long or, 2) there's a splatfest by some top men (Chan, Hanyu, Javi, etc.) and he skates lights out.

I don't think ANYONE here is saying that Shoma didn't deserve first. However, don't be delusional when it comes to this program, Shoma ubers. It is NOT world medalist class... yet. The second half needs work. The good thing is he's a very talented skater, and I think he could probably do it. (This is, of course, all my own opinion.)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^This isn't even bad compared to what the Shoma-supporters were doing to the winner last year...

zschultz1986

Final Flight
^This isn't even bad compared to what the Shoma-supporters were doing to the winner last year...

Well, I just read the last two pages of Shoma's fan fest. I remembered why I stopped being a hardcore fan of one single skater. It meant that Sasha and Sarah and Tara and others were NOT to be liked. It meant ANY slight or even PERCEIVED slight against Michelle NEEDED TO BE IMMEDIATELY RESPONDED TO WITH FULL FORCE (LOL.) It meant that of course I wasn't going to accept that someone with one or two triple/triples and good artistry could possibly beat a Michelle whose hardest combo (that year) was a 3Z-2T.

Oh, the fevered Sasha/Sarah/Tara/Michelle wars of the mid-to-late 90s to early Aughts. Ruined by a hip injury, the 2002 debacle which lead to the end of 6.0, and Shizuka Arakawa. Damn her and that amazing ina bauer! :p

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Since a comment of mine has been quoted here I feel the need to shortly respond before I hope this will all be over then. I feel bad, because it seems that this comment of mine has started this whole SA thread vs. ff thread. And that's the reason why I originally posted that in the fanfest thread of Shoma and not here. I told the fellow fans there, I was tired of the nitpicking and downtalking and just wanted to celebrate Shoma's achievement, without reading pages and pages on his mediocre transitions and twofooted skating. (And yeah, that's the reason for the Fanfest...to celebrate) Yes, there have been people who said that Shoma didn't deserve the Gold and that just made absolutely no sense to me. I'm a non confrontational person so I went to the Fanfest thread to vent. I apologize for not doing that here, but I thought this thread was not the place for it and I was afraid of the backlash. It stresses me out. I also apologize for using the word nitpicking. I used that, because it felt that way, to me personally. I didn't want to start some war about it. If you read this thread carefully, you can also see that even I criticized things about Shoma's LP, so I'm not some blinded fangirl. Anyway, I hope we can all get over this and I hope Shoma supporters aren't turned away from the Fanfest thread. I see posting this was a mistake and I will not do that again.

One last thing though, I think it is wrong to go into the fanfest and drag those quotes here, without even attaching the user name.

That's all.

Last edited:

itoja

Rinkside
HE HAD A FAR LESS AMOUNT OF TRANSITIONS, AND BY MY COUNT: 1 IN THE SECOND HALF

Either you don't understand what "transitions" means or you don't know how to count :noshake: Transitions are not only those easily visible tricks, like rising a leg as high as possible, or ina bauers, which are very nice of course, but what the feet do between elements. Judges know exactly what to look at and how difficult these steps are. Here are some of Shoma's in the second half of his program, starting with spread eagles into 3A:
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=177
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=195
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=203
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=215
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=227
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=246
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=250
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=258
https://youtu.be/NpiIA3ROApM?t=284

everything so perfectly done with the music :luv17:

and to this:
However, don't be delusional when it comes to this program, Shoma ubers. It is NOT world medalist class... yet.
maybe the judges here were delusional, (or Shoma ubers) but 91.08 PCS this early in the season looks like world class to me :yay:

Anyway, such an amazing competition and such ugly treat...
The medalists gave as beautiful performances, so different in styles, but excellent athletically and gorgeous artistically, there is something for everyone!
And the rest was so great, too. I think everyone of them in the free skate achieved his own little victory, well done boys! :thank:

I don't know what performance I love the most, I'll be rewatching them everyday (until SC ;) )
- Shoma in the morning - for energy and a big smile for the day
- Adam in the middle - so not to forget to be human
- Jason in the evening - for nice dreams... :agree2:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Jason perhaps could look into acquiring more flow and speed. However, when he is on is way to faster (perhaps simpler ;) ) skating, he lifts a leg up or does a flexibility move which slows him down. It's really a question of overall feel for the program.
Well, I get the impression from Brown´s freeskate that instead of interpreting the music he is doing stretching exercises = choreographed interpretation. His speed on the ice is slow and ice-coverage does not seem great either. BUT, he is consistent, because the slow speed may be less exhausting than skating with more speed in the freeskate?

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

Well, I've decided I'm not done because no.

1. Yes, I did and explained what I meant by that ie people losing perspective, which you keep denying, showing them as

Neither of which is true, since you're so invested in the truth because a) they dragged themselves into the 'squabble' when they started talking about this thread in the FF, attacking Yuzuru posters and implying some ugly things about them and b) as noted above, they aren't all 'excited fans showing pride and love for a skater' now are they?

2)stop shifting the goalposts because it is you who kept asserting that they haven't lost perspective when the above is pretty much losing perspective, if that's the reaction over some criticism over his transition and PCS.

3)Never said you in particular said anything derogatory towards Hanyu fans. Your fellow posters in the FF however did, those you keep describing as excited, nice fans, in a place where they are safe from answers.

4)Apologies. You should tell your fellow posters then that, especially as you see fit to come here, preaching about turning posters against each other.

5)I have been to FF threads and irrelevant because it is you who made the two above assertions that poor Shoma fans in that thread are being unfairly dragged into all of this, fans just showing pride and love for a skater and that it is posts here that are causing issues. In the future, don't make those assertions and problem solved.

Oh Please who appointed you the Fan Fest Police. If you find the comments you quoted from Shoma's FF were a personal attack against you, insulting, abusive or discriminatory in any way report it to the Mods, that is correct way to handle posts that are perceived to be offensive. Meanwhile I will continue to freely post my thoughts and opinions.

Last edited: