2016 World Championships Ladies SP | Page 117 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies SP

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I still think that the judges are immensely influenced by the reaction of the audience. I think that Anna and Gracie were on the same level yesterday, but naturally the reaction of the audience to Gracie's performance was louder and more cheerful. It's not necessarily biased judging, but home advantage. We have that in almost every sport. But the athlete still has to deliver and Gracie did just that in the SP.

Barb

Record Breaker
I was very impressed with Satoko :eek:, she pay attention to every little detail, I know, her jumps are not ideal, but wow, I melt with her performances :love:

I still think that the judges are immensely influenced by the reaction of the audience. I think that Anna and Gracie were on the same level yesterday, but naturally the reaction of the audience to Gracie's performance was louder and more cheerful. It's not necessarily biased judging, but home advantage. We have that in almost every sport. But the athlete still has to deliver and Gracie did just that in the SP.

Johnnie Weir made the comment at least twice yesterday that, "The judges are just the front row of the audience."

- - - Updated - - -

I was very impressed with Satoko :eek:, she pay attention to every little detail, I know, her jumps are not ideal, but wow, I melt with her performances :love:

Me, too. Her posture and carriage alone are :love:

I'm disgusted with people. Gracie's SP on Youtube has only 109 likes and 129 dislikes.

That's on us! Let's pretend that this is the World Team Challenge and get with the likin'.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker

I agree. I think it's entirely natural, and I think the same thing happened in Sochi. It's less objective than we might wish it to be, but it's a subjective sport.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm disgusted with people. Gracie's SP on Youtube has only 109 likes and 129 dislikes. And according to the comments, we have another Sochi skandal! Her coach bribed the judges! She sucks, the rest is much better!

I really used to dislike Gracie, but I got really excited after her SP. Almost no one else caused this level of excitement. Nobody expected her to go clean. She fought. The landing of the Lutz wasn't perfect but she added the combo. And did you see her smile after that? She tends to be robotic but not in this particular perfomance.

Some people are screaming she shouldn't have led. I highly disagree, she has great SS (despite bad posture at times), TR were intricate, CH was difficult and she loves this program. She performed and even though she didn't emote for the whole skate, she emoted much better than I have ever seen. I would have given her a little bit lower PCS, but not by much.

Actually, I had her at 74,5-75 points so I think she was overscored a bit but I think she fully deserved the score. I actually want ber to win this. I can't believe I'm saying it, but she won my heart. And mainly, the competition is not even finished so even if someone would have her lower, can people freaking wait before starting to make threads to Gracie and make notes about Sochi skandal?

I'm not surprised by her score or the reaction on the web and you shouldn't.

In Ladies FS especially, with this system, we are used to see on top of the world, skaters who already won everything in earlier events: here instead there is a skater who fail most of the time, and never got a podium place at GPF or Worlds or even 4CC, and now puff World Champion with that huge score almost identical of some epic performances from ladies who won so much more and risked so much more than Gracie. Liza got 77 last year with a 3A and the 3-3 combo in the second half, Mao two years ago broke the record with a 3A and 3F-3LO... and then there is Gracie with an ordinary routine and an edge call on the flip. (I wonder without that little mistake on the lutz and with a clean flip what that score would have been)

Personally i don't care too much because i was expecting something like this: it is unfair, but it is what it is. I hope that Evgenia will grab a medal here because she is obviously the most talented lady, with the two most difficult programs planned, and she is still so young, next year would be another great chance for her, and also i'd like to see another clean skate from Anna and Mao.

Instead I'm angry for the pairs: Max/Tat in third place and Ksenia/Fedor probably out for a medal spot with the Canadians with better (inflated) PCS despite their terrible skating skills, is just unbearable: when Yuzuru Hanyu bomb his FS he receives a huge score anyway and that's fair because he is the Olympic Champion and he is the best, remember this...

when Yuzuru Hanyu bomb his FS he receives a huge score anyway and that's fair...

No it's not. If you skate well you should get a high score. If you skate badly you should get a low score.

It doesn't matter how well or how poorly you skated two years ago or last month or at the practices.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
No it's not. If you skate well you should get a high score. If you skate badly you should get a low score.

It doesn't matter how well or how poorly you skated two years ago or last month or at the practices.

But that's how the system works, the reputation influence your score, you cannot change it at the end of the season and only for a category.

fruitbasket

Rinkside
Gracie executes SP well but scores are ????? It looks like Gracie to get Gold medal 2016 World Championship even she falls. It reminds me Sochi Olympic ladies event.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Gracie executes SP well but scores are ????? It looks like Gracie to get Gold medal 2016 World Championship even she falls. It reminds me Sochi Olympic ladies event.

Gracie is so much more of a complete skater than Adelina that it is really that comparable. Gracie has enormous ice coverage and wonderful edges and use of rise and fall. The judges always reward Gracie with great PCS if she skates well so it's not like this score came completely out of the blue.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Liza got 77 last year with a 3A and the 3-3 combo in the second half, Mao two years ago broke the record with a 3A and 3F-3LO... and then there is Gracie with an ordinary routine and an edge call on the flip. (I wonder without that little mistake on the lutz and with a clean flip what that score would have been)
No. Mao did 3L-2L, not 3F-3L. And 3F as the solo jump. And I wouldn't call Gracie's routine ordinary.

Instead I'm angry for the pairs: Max/Tat in third place and Ksenia/Fedor probably out for a medal spot with the Canadians with better (inflated) PCS despite their terrible skating skills, is just unbearable: when Yuzuru Hanyu bomb his FS he receives a huge score anyway and that's fair because he is the Olympic Champion and he is the best, remember this...
If you want to imply that Hanyu bombed his FS at Worlds I strongly disagree. He didn't skate his best, but he certainly didn't bomb.

gotoschool

Medalist
No. Mao did 3L-2L, not 3F-3L. And 3F as the solo jump. And I wouldn't call Gracie's routine ordinary.

If you want to imply that Hanyu bombed his FS at Worlds I strongly disagree. He didn't skate his best, but he certainly didn't bomb.

I do think Gracie skated well. But, Mao got 1/10 a point lower PCS than Gracie in her Nocturne at Worlds 2014, which I think is a quintessentially artistic performance, over 1 point lower PCS than Gracie in her Cup of China SP, 3.3 points lower PCS in the SP at Worlds 2016. All of which I think are very unjust. Though, it is not just Gracie. Mao was also underscored in PCS compared to the other 5 skaters given higher PCS scores in the SP. i also think it is very unjust that Mao has gotten a lower score on her step sequence than Gracie in the SP in both the Grand Prix Final SP and Worlds SP despite the fact that I think Mao is a better dancer with better edge control and more elastic and acrobatic movement not to mention the toe pick moves and the flying leg kick. Mao also got 3d place GOE in her Nocturne Worlds 2014 SP and a distant 2nd place PCS. Overall, I think Gracie has received much more generous scoring. I think Mao should get higher PCS and higher scores on her step sequences and these stats show exactly the opposite.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

The SP event is not even close to Sochi. I remember Adelina getting the same PCS as Yuna and higher than Carolina. Which I never understood why suddenly her PC are on par with legends after only 2 months. But I like her as a person and now as a skater so I'm just gonna be defensive here and say I'm not attacking her or anything because I know Sochi's a touchy subject.

Gracie's score was 2-3 pts higher than what I think she should have gotten but that's hardly like Sochi inflation. She has pretty great skating skills and performed her best with a great program. She was very expressive this time. Anna was also really great. But IMO, no one deserved 75+ pts here.

ETA: I don't know why Mao's PCS is lower than Gracie's tho. Her mistakes rarely disturbed the program. Zijun was under scored in PCS as well. Seriously, 28???

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Gracie is so much more of a complete skater than Adelina that it is really that comparable. Gracie has enormous ice coverage and wonderful edges and use of rise and fall. The judges always reward Gracie with great PCS if she skates well so it's not like this score came completely out of the blue.

In my opinion Gracie and Adelina are pretty similar: Gracie has a terrible flip, Adelina has the flutz. Both skater have great skating skills, i would say a little better Gracie but artistically Adelina she feels the music, she hasn't the Gracie's stoneface.

Technically speaking is seriously nothing special, with an E in the flip is also less than ordinary.

It wasn't ordinary just because Gracie does all the three elements for the first time. Wow, record score next time at Pyeongchang. :)

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
In my opinion Gracie and Adelina are pretty similar: Gracie has a terrible flip, Adelina has the flutz. Both skater have great skating skills, i would say a little better Gracie but artistically Adelina she feels the music, she hasn't the Gracie's stoneface.

Technically speaking is seriously nothing special, with an E in the flip is also less than ordinary.

It wasn't ordinary just because Gracie does all the three elements for the first time. Wow, record score next time at Pyeongchang. :)
Ok, I guess the standard high class jumping content for for a lady in the SP (2A, 3Lz-3T, 3F) isn't very special. Yuna did it for years. You're right, it's getting old. :dev3: So one could say that the ! in the score sheet (it wasn't an e) made it kind of special. Or maybe not, I don't know. But I get that you don't like Gracie. And you don't need to. But you can watch her performance again and maybe you can see what the judges and the audience liked. I can appreciate her performance, we all know that she sometimes skates through a program, but she didn't do that this time. It was a very good performance.

RABID

Final Flight

... or your skating order, be it 39th or 1st.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
For me Gracie was grossly overscored in SP. Absolutely - no Sochi comparisons needed. My biggest problem with her skating is that she does not need the music. I already said that before - the first 40 seconds or so of her every program over the last several years are virtually the same, both SP and FP: she does something the first 10 seconds, then the curve, then she just skates through the whole rink preparing for 3Lz-3T. It's over and over again. You will see the same routine tonight. And the fact that she crosses the whole rink while technically is good ice coverage brings little to the argument of good skating skills.

She has qualities, no doubt. That's why trying to be objective I would place her at par with Evgenija in this SP, Evgenya who feels the music and backloaded her program with jumps. But Gracie was no near Ashley and Anna. And her pcs lead is....well scandalous. That's why, I guess, so many dislikes on Youtube.

Last edited:

johnsmith72

On the Ice
For me Gracie was grossly overscored in SP. Absolutely - no Sochi comparisons needed. My biggest problem with her skating is that she does not need the music. I already said that before - the first 40 seconds or so of her every program over the last several years are virtually the same, both SP and FP: she does something the first 10 seconds, then the curve, then she just skates through the whole rink preparing for 3Lz-3T. It's over and over again. You will see the same routine tonight. And the fact that she crosses the whole rink while technically is good ice coverage brings little to the argument of good skating skills.

She has qualities, no doubt. That's why trying to be objective I would place her at par with Evgenija in this SP, Evgenya who feels the music and backloaded her program with jumps. But Gracie was no near Ashley and Anna. And her pcs lead is....well scandalous. That's why, I guess, so many dislikes on Youtube.

I hate to break it to you but that's how most women begin. Programs usually start with a few choreographic movements and then crossovers leading into the skater's opening combination.... Yuna followed that format for years and it did wonders for her so I think Gracie's in good company

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I hate to break it to you but that's how most women begin. Programs usually start with a few choreographic movements and then crossovers leading into the skater's opening combination.... Yuna followed that format for years and it did wonders for her so I think Gracie's in good company

We are talking not about most women and not about past times. We are talking about a today's lady who wants to be the best in the world now. Medvedeva has absolutely different program beginnings - she does not have an opening SP combo at all. Pogo starts both SP and FP with 3Lz-3T. But not only are her steps different - she is doing her combos in the opposite corners.

Last edited: