2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

OJuliaA

Rinkside
Thank you! I already love everything about GS!
And I am sorry, my English is not perfect, but of course, I would comment as much as possible☺As I can see, about this competition - pairs, of course, everybody upset about no medal for Russians, but it was fair. As Stolbova says after SP - "our skating was not ideal, so our marks were the same. "
No this fall, there will be a bit another scenery, as I beleive

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Did anybody else hear people shouting the infamous "ROSSIJA!!" when V/T were taking the ice? LOL, it's not only in Sochi.

Yep, I definitely heard it. The people around me kind of cringed :confused2: Let's just say it brought back some Sochi memories...

OJuliaA

Rinkside
Welcome to the wacky world of Golden Skate! Hope you enjoy your stay here.
I'm very sorry I don't read/speak Russian at all, because I would LOVE to know what is being posted on Russian boards. If any Russian wants to give us a rundown, I'll be hitting that thumbs up button so fast you'll be amazed at my dexterity! :)

The last my message i did not manage to send to you, but I tried. I am the beginner here, sorry!)

slider11

Medalist
Luba and Dylan and Kristen and Michael also had a good night. I am particularly fond of Luba and Dylan. They are technically good and bring a strong personality to the ice. Kristen has a million dollar smile and I must say that Michael looks more stable and comfortable. I used to close my eyes when he lifted her but he really seemed to have a solid base for her today. Not so great for the Americans. I was not a fan of the Elizabeth LP for Alexa and Chris. He seems tentative especially with his jumps and she runs hot and cold with her end of the elements. There seems to be a maturity issue to me with Alexa; either she is all giggly or edgy. Good luck with that, Chris! Tarah and Danny, too, seemed off this competition. Lucky they did well enough to keep 2 spots for next year. But I do think that Castelli and Tran are ready to take one of those!

sowcow

On the Ice
https://adivinesport.wordpress.com/...ary-on-the-pairs-event-at-2015-worlds-part-1/

Essentially he was quite critical of Duhamel and Radford while commentating on the worlds last year. In other instances (interviews etc.) he was also very negative about Meagan and Eric. I don't completely disagree with everything he said, but I don't think it is appropriate to say things like that about a competitor.

Hmmmm, I just read the entire translation provided at the link above. I kept waiting to read something scandalous, or (overly) critical, or (negatively) exaggerated that Trankov said about D/R ... but I did not read anything that I would qualify as such!?! :shrug:

Do others agree? disagree? :scratch3:

sweetskates1

Medalist
Welcome OJuliaA!! We get very anxious and excited on this board but on the whole we love it here!! Are you happy with Javier Fernandez's winning? Does he have a lot of fans in Russia?

Thank you! I already love everything about GS!
And I am sorry, my English is not perfect, but of course, I would comment as much as possible☺As I can see, about this competition - pairs, of course, everybody upset about no medal for Russians, but it was fair. As Stolbova says after SP - "our skating was not ideal, so our marks were the same. "
No this fall, there will be a bit another scenery, as I beleive

LadyB

Record Breaker
My thoughts on the pairs tonight :
Stolbova/Klimov : [/B]Unfortunate they couldn't repeat their GPF performance :( I don't know how long those two will keep skating together.

With that fake 3Tw and Fedor's unhealthy face??
You could be right just if they would have Performed their program so like at GPF...

Did you really expect them to skate like they did at GPF? They've been out of competition for over three months due to injury, which prevented them from training certain moves for weeks. Bearing that in mind, I thought they did quite okay today (not so much yesterday, I admit). They had a fall, but they looked much more relaxed and Fedor in particular looked a lot better today and showed his cute smile. It was probably nerves yesterday, but they have shown that they are back in the mix. I hope Fedor takes time to heal properly during the break and they'll have a great next season.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
True. Just like in Mens, the FS was not even close. The winners won by a mile. Such a shame after a tight and exciting SP. V/T basically mirrored Patrick's meltdown in the way they had shockingly low TES of the "top tier" skaters. Patrick was 11th in TES, and V/T was 15th!

However, it's hard to say the veterans flopped when all 3 reigning champions defended their titles.

The top-notched veterans coming back from their breaks and injuries. I should've specified my wording.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I don't know what to say about the judging here, but dating back to the 2014 Sochi Olympics, the entire internet was also permeated with noisy complaints and unfounded anger against the judging there. I think the judges are not perfect, but they have been always working hard to perform their duties at each big event, and for this, to choose to attack them all the time is not necessary, IMO. The reason that those top contenders in different disciplines here failed to get the desired results is mainly because of their poor on-the-spot performances (comparatively speaking),and they should find their own problems.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Max, why so contrary...can't we celebrate them all, regardless of nationality/placement.

I am not sure if this is measured, but sooo many personal bests at an event! Meagan works so much harder than many athletes, both on and off the ice. Respect is deserved and earned, Max.

OJuliaA

Rinkside
Welcome OJuliaA!! We get very anxious and excited on this board but on the whole we love it here!! Are you happy with Javier Fernandez's winning? Does he have a lot of fans in Russia?

I watch it with my whole family, the best commentator for me is Mum, because she skated in youth. And we both like FP performance of Javier, it was brilliant. But a bit upset, that Yuzuru after such records, genius skates during the season was not able to repeat this magic for the third time.
So LOVE Fernandez. He has no equal in Europe at all. But in the world's it is always much more interesting. It is an excellent work because he has been able to prove his strength in the Worlds twice so far!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, that was another underwelming event for me. Not much for the podium, but because most pairs didn't manage to even compete one single clean program.

Blah.

:gaah:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Different topic but does anyone know if Dylan is injured? It looked like his shoulder was taped and I noticed they took out their lunge lifts in both the short and the free. He also looked exhausted and sore at the end of their LP.

I feel like your username means we should be friends. Welcome.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I still haven´t realized what happened today.

1. No Russian pair on the podium:eekn:
2. Duhamel/Radford defend their title:giveup:
3. Ninth medal at worlds for Queen Aljona:dance2:

Did someone already mention why Maxim stops the Lasso Lift:confused:? And it has been the first time with trouble at the twist since worlds 2012.

Like many guys I am not a fan of D/R but today their techical content has been the best by some way. The big advantage is that she is able to stand every throw even if she destroys her knie.
Aljona and Bruno are on their way now. The medal pushes them into one of the leading position for the next season. They will go for the quad twist, better programs and more spectacular lifts for sure.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Don't know. Don't live there.

It's Fall here, anyway. :rolleye:

Okay...perhaps you're too chilled to be warm? In case you missed it, a great event in Boston today, and the cream rose to the top! Then again, seasons being what they are, you might be more focused on the ...Fall.

Last edited:

Luna Cat

Rinkside
:hap93: :hap93: :hap93:
I didn't expect Aljona and Bruno to medal at their first world championships! I was hoping for place 4/5 - but they skated well and win Bronze! Wow
:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
I think they know they will need better programs to improve and win one day. But they were better than all Russian couples!
(Robin will work very hard with Evgenia and Vladimir that they can medal too :laugh:)