2016 Worlds Short Dance | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds Short Dance

skateluver

Rinkside
The French team is fabulous. I am definitely not an expert in Ice Dance, but feel that the quality and artistry they bring to Ice Dance is unmatched. In my opinion of course.. I find their skating exciting and I find him especially wonderful, which is rare because often the female skater steals the show. He may be the best male Ice Dancer ever. Again, in my opinion.. I enjoyed this afternoon enormously!! I hope that the Shibs win the silver and if P/C should falter, even the gold.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The French team is fabulous. I am definitely not an expert in Ice Dance, but feel that the quality and artistry they bring to Ice Dance is unmatched. In my opinion of course.. I find their skating exciting and I find him especially wonderful, which is rare because often the female skater steals the show. He may be the best male Ice Dancer ever. Again, in my opinion.. I enjoyed this afternoon enormously!! I hope that the Shibs win the silver and if P/C should falter, even the gold.

I agree skateluver, and here's why. When a team that ( At least in my case ) you've never heard of beats the hometown favorites and gets a standing ovation in the process......They are truly special. This really was a great event and I was very happy to see some of the earlier groups perform. There were quite a few of them that I was seeing for the first time and they were all good and very enjoyable. I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching Ice Dance as much as I did today. Bravo to all........:points:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Must admit I'm curious to catch up and watch Weaver/Poje. The second judge gave them one 9.5 and everything else straight 9.75's. It's not everyday a 4th place result gets those marks.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Mann... this is Abel Korzeniowski's season (for past 2 seasons actually, including his R&J that produced some great programs). His WE soundtrack I desperate want Li ZiJun skate to last season now all produced no.1 hits in 2 fields now. Gorgeous glorious Papadakis / Cizeron... and of course Zhenya for the ladies.

Virtue and Moir... you still coming back?

KMK0902

On the Ice
I AM SO HAPPY that was amazing :love::luv17: yeah Gabby had a bit of a moment in the twizzles but that was still gorgeous

I just don't get P/C.....to me they are boring...a lot of side by side skating...yes he is gorgeous...but it's just not enough!

And something is fishy with the wobbles on the twizzles and still level 4 and positive GOES's - just don't get it.....someone has paid someone something...

caitie

Medalist
Virtue and Moir... you still coming back?

lol as if. I am sure they think they are better than P/C and are excited to beat them. Let's not forget Scott Moir fell flat on his butt in 2011 and then complained in the press about losing the event to Davis and White.

I just don't get P/C.....to me they are boring...a lot of side by side skating...yes he is gorgeous...but it's just not enough!

And something is fishy with the wobbles on the twizzles and still level 4 and positive GOES's - just don't get it.....someone has paid someone something...

Funny you ;)

While I can see your point even if I find it totally wrong in the first sentence, the second is really biased. It doesn't affect the level here and there's enough bullet points to make it up.

And there's no french judges here.

Ekm

On the Ice
I really wish I got P/C, but I just don't, I just find them painfully dull. In fact, they make so little of an impact on me that I thought C/L were closing the event and I forgot they were yet to come. I get that they're objectively talented, they just don't work for me. It's a shame as I legitimately enjoy almost all of the other couples, even some that have left me a bit cold in the past.

KMK0902

On the Ice
I really wish I got P/C, but I just don't, I just find them painfully dull. In fact, they make so little of an impact on me that I thought C/L were closing the event and I forgot they were yet to come. I get that they're objectively talented, they just don't work for me. It's a shame as I legitimately enjoy almost all of the other couples, even some that have left me a bit cold in the past.

and I thought I was alone in not getting P/C..

agree with everything you said:):):)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
as I said earlier - a bit bittersweet feeling after SD for me: sadness for Kaitlyn and Andrew and Madison and Zach, joy for Piper and Paul, Shibutanis and Gabriella and Guillaume. When you're emotionally invested in skater as people, not only invested/interested in sport discipline, it's always tough to take your team's loss/bad result and that's one of these moments for me.

Quite concerned for Russians - both performances were kind of bland and had no energy/lightness in them. After Europeans I expected more especially from Sinitsina/Katsalapov, but still he is the head and the body of the performance while I can't see any bigger effort in terms of interpretation/coverage from her.

Really enjoyed Penny and Nick, Fournier/Beaudry-Sorensen,Testa/Csolley - there was energy, attack, good coverage, decent speed and strong presentation.

Big, BIG applause for Piper and Paul - only if they came up with these music cuts/choreo change earlier! Such an improvement - whereas previously it was a bit 'happy hands at home' and not easy to understand program for me, now it all made sense with music only from The Beatles and made into funny, quirky, stylish and original performance. There was speed, good egde work, ice coverage, in-character transitions and most of all their 'signature' shone through: being a bit against all popular tendencies and taking some risks. It was strong, memorable, original and entertaining performance, wisely changed, with continuous flow and even some 'edge' in it. As a heavy admirer of their FD (definitely top 3 this season for me from the very beginning at Nepela) I am over the moon for them to be in the final group, wish them to produce equally brilliant performance tomorrow!

Very happy for Maia and Alex - their technical consistency and progress in performing more maturely on ice is quite remarkable this season. Confidence and trust in each other is there every time, today it seemed a tiny bit too reserved for me/too cautious (I like 4CC SD better), but it can be only my feeling. Still not a big fan of FD (something rubs me in it in a wrong way and I have constant feeling of expecting something else...), but the draw is on their side - will skate last and for sure will bring the whole arena down to tears.

Heartbroken for WeaPo...It seems like since GPF they can't find that ease in performance, today all transitions seemed forced, there was no lightness in edge work and lost levels did not help either. Still conceptually this is my favorite SD this season, hence big disappointment. Podium is rather impossible at this point - skating before Chock/Bates won't give them any favours for sure. Regardless of that I'll keep my hopes and praying circles on place for them to get this performance togeter and give their best.

As for Gabriella and Guillaume I'm starting to have trouble to find a suitable words to describe their skating, seriously - they are GIFTED skaters and performers. To achieve such skill in presenting programs, to carry themselves with such grace, elegance and sublime expression on ice, to have a signature style, a perchant for making modern music/themes so ethereal and accessible is mind-blowing for 20 and 21 year old. Such mature, composed yet engaged, dramatic and vivid performace - exquisite lines, seamless transitions, insane musicality. Time flew by and made me wanting more of that fairytale picture painted by their skating. On a more critical note - I think that the score should be a bit lower (75 pts would be perfect) due to that twizzle glitch (I was not blinded) and they do seem to be less on hold while skating - but this open style of skating became their rocket to success, they made it as their unique signature to adapt fairly 'open' skating, mixing it with modernity of movement and music and giving it skill and sophisticaton no other team currently has. As a result we get a true brillance of ice dance: complexity and simplicity at once, stylishly translated in universal language of emotion and movement. It seems like judges waited for the team who will bring that on board, this feeling on unforced ease, not overcooked/too busy programs with modern flavour. They grown and matured immensely since last season - there is more calm and composure, more breathing during each performance. Guillaume is fantastic and his languid movement should have separate profile, but what striked me today was Gabriella - her body, her lines and moves told the story, not her face, big kudos for that. And lastly - for me they'll defend that title with some great FD and overall score, they are too unique and too different from other duos at this point.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just watched the top five teams... For me, the weakest team was chock and bates... for how they skated today.... yet, I liked their ballroom style a lot. I was thrilled with Piper and Paul's performance, mind you, I preferred the previous music.. i guess I may be the only one as it seems many like this new version..... The shibs were great too.... I thought both Andrew and Gabby had slight bobbles on twizzles .... I'd probably rank the top 3 teams closer in points in this order : Shibs, P/C, G/P, then put W/P and thennnnnn C/B.... but that's why I am not a judge ;) I am over the moon with both Canadian teams being in the final group but not so sure one of them will hit the podium which is disappointing.... I am quite sad for W/P because their program is my favourite SD this season as it really IS a waltz ;) in opposition to P/C who are not even using a proper waltz beat piece... yet, are gorgeously skating though...

Last edited:

oat

On the Ice
As for Gabriella and Guillaume I'm starting to have trouble to find a suitable words to describe their skating, seriously - they are GIFTED skaters and performers. To achieve such skill in presenting programs, to carry themselves with such grace, elegance and sublime expression on ice, to have a signature style, a perchant for making modern music/themes so ethereal and accessible is mind-blowing for 20 and 21 year old. Such mature, composed yet engaged, dramatic and vivid performace - exquisite lines, seamless transitions, insane musicality. Time flew by and made me wanting more of that fairytale picture painted by their skating. On a more critical note - I think that the score should be a bit lower (75 pts would be perfect) due to that twizzle glitch (I was not blinded) and they do seem to be less on hold while skating - but this open style of skating became their rocket to success, they made it as their unique signature to adapt fairly 'open' skating, mixing it with modernity of movement and music and giving it skill and sophisticaton no other team currently has. As a result we get a true brillance of ice dance: complexity and simplicity at once, stylishly translated in universal language of emotion and movement. It seems like judges waited for the team who will bring that on board, this feeling on unforced ease, not overcooked/too busy programs with modern flavour. They grown and matured immensely since last season - there is more calm and composure, more breathing during each performance. Guillaume is fantastic and his languid movement should have separate profile, but what striked me today was Gabriella - her body, her lines and moves told the story, not her face, big kudos for that. And lastly - for me they'll defend that title with some great FD and overall score, they are too unique and too different from other duos at this point.

I agree. But if you want to be fair about twizzles. You must be fair with the presentation. With what you say here, the presentation note is very very underrated since P/C are unique and propose art and not just ice dance. For this gift, rare, exceptional, it's quite normal that we have a huge difference presentation score no ?
Rarity, beauty, art must be rewarded.

And yes, what a progress for Gaby.

Last edited:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
P/C are just superb, breathtaking, out-of -this-world!!! Love them to pieces! Art on ice! I believe they will defend their titles this year, next year and many years to follow