2017 GP Skate America Mens SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Mens SP

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Can´t wait to see how many surprises we will be getting in this event....

Olympic

On the Ice
My prediction

1. Chen
2. Rippon
3. Voronov
4. Jin
5. Mura/Kovtun/Reynolds

Didn't know that Sadovsky has a Sword Art Online program. Interesting.

I would say -

1. Chen
2. Jin - gets progressively better
3. Voronov
4. Rippon - Will do enough to get to Final. May move onto the podium skating at home
5. Yan - strongest of the dark horses
6. Kovtun - wildly inconsistent but better than Mura and Reynolds
7. Miner
8. Reynolds - Despite his talent there are lately a certain amount of tech deficiencies that keeps him down
9. Mura - A rough year

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Should be a good event. I predict:

1. Chen- He's had time to get even better since Rostelecom Cup
2. Jin- If his quads are firing he'll have no trouble grabbing the silver
3. Rippon- The crowd will be cheering him on and his LP is simply gorgeous
4. Voronov- Has momentum, but can he do it again?
5. Yan- Seems to have finally gotten it together
6. Miner- Home crowd may help

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Jackie Wong tweeted that Adam landed two clean 4Lz in practice this afternoon.

mrrice

Record Breaker

That's great news. He's going to need it in a field this deep. While I think he'll do well in the LP, it's his SP that he must skate well to keep in contention for a medal. If he's out of the 5, even a brilliant LP may not be enough to get him on the podium.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
There's still time to change your predictions, guys. ;)

don't tempt me...I'm debating if I should be bad and steal predictions from somene doing actually good in predictions game:cool14:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
don't tempt me...I'm debating if I should be bad and steal predictions from somene doing actually good in predictions game:cool14:

Who says I'm changing my predictions? Maybe I'm being strategic? HAHAHAHA....

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This is horrible to predict.. i like so many here. I like HanYan's program so much this year only to Nathen's programs. Voronov is a sentimental fav and I want him to make the Russia team. I also adore Boyang's short...so would love him to come in at top 3 in the short at least. But this is really the US men's home court.. I can't choose between Adam or Jason but I'd thought Nathen should have some home/tech advantage?

The question is how many US men makes to the podium, I'd say 1 at least? (Yeah it is that close!)

OMG OMG... for realz?! That is amazing!! Okay Adam over Jason! :devil:

Although US seems to be the room where it always happens for Jason.

da96103

Record Breaker

That's great. His 4Lz carrot landing in the last GP was very solid.. May the force of the dying bird be with him. (That's the theme of his FS, isn't it)

Arunrunian must recognise him as his second son now.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
This is horrible to predict.. i like so many here. I like HanYan's program so much this year only to Nathen's programs. Voronov is a sentimental fav and I want him to make the Russia team. I also adore Boyang's short...so would love him to come in at top 3 in the short at least. But this is really the US men's home court.. I can't choose between Adam or Jason but I'd thought Nathen should have some home/tech advantage?

The question is how many US men makes to the podium, I'd say 1 at least? (Yeah it is that close!)

OMG OMG... for realz?! That is amazing!! Okay Adam over Jason! :devil:

Although US seems to be the room where it always happens for Jason.

LOL, but Adam, Nathan and Ross are the US guys this time.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I sure hope the judging panel will be strict in SA and UR´s and two-footing will not be ignored (even for US skaters)!!!

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I won't be able to watch bc of the time difference, but I hope Adam slays! So impressed with him this season!

Olympic

On the Ice
That's great news. He's going to need it in a field this deep. While I think he'll do well in the LP, it's his SP that he must skate well to keep in contention for a medal. If he's out of the 5, even a brilliant LP may not be enough to get him on the podium.

Maybe he can do the 3F+3L in the SP. He is practicing it / planned it in the LP. Points are points.

da96103

Record Breaker
Whatever the results I hope Boyang and Adam can be on the podium to nudge Jason out of GPF.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Whatever the results I hope Boyang and Adam can be on the podium to nudge Jason out of GPF.

The odds are in your favor for your wish to be granted.

Adam and Boyang can even finish 4th, but they just have to score 242+ (Boyang) and 245+ (Adam), which is obtainable based on their previous outings. Voronov can finish as low as 5th and beat Jason in tie breakers.

In other words, Jason nudged himself out of GPF with a subpar performance at NHK Trophy. If he manages to get in, it's because one of these three guys did not skate well.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
The odds are in your favor for your wish to be granted.

Adam and Boyang can even finish 4th, but they just have to score 242+ (Boyang) and 245+ (Adam), which is obtainable based on their previous outings. Voronov can finish as low as 5th and beat Jason in tie breakers.

In other words, Jason nudged himself out of GPF with a subpar performance at NHK Trophy. If he manages to get in, it's because one of these three guys did not skate well.

Mrs P, you are so fast on your analysis. Are you a mathematics teacher in your day job?

Does P in Mrs P stands for probability and permutation?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs P, you are so fast on your analysis. Are you a mathematics teacher in your day job?

Does P in Mrs P stands for probability and permutation?

I do calculate a lot of figures in my job, though no I'm not a math teacher. I was pretty decent at math though!

I already did the calculations earlier for the GPF qualification thread, so it was already in my head. Looking at all the different scenarios, the odds just seem more likely for Jason to not end up in GPF.

I personally would love Jason to end up in GPF, cause I'm a fan, but I also don't want to wish other skaters to do poorly because I prefer a good competition, not a splat fest and I think it's hard to deny that Jason did not seize his spot at NHK Trophy. However, I do know it's not out of the realm of possibility. We'll know soon.

Last edited: