2017 JGP Brisbane Ladies FS | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Brisbane Ladies FS

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Alexandra Trusova -> it is always amazing to see every year and new kid from the Eteri group (by far the best coaching team in ladies of the past few years) pushing the technical difficulty, but the 4S even < is something else. On top of that, her jumping technique is soo lovely, and the skating skills are impressive as well, it was a very enjoyable performance. Right now she is a star in the making, my only question mark is on what kind of skater she will become in the next two-three years, how she will pass the puberty. Also i think her 3ltz-3T is much better than her 3ltz-3Lo but looking at the protocols she got more points with the loop combo so i can see why she is doing it.

Anastasiia Gulyakova -> Enjoyed her FS more than the SP yesterday, she looks already a mature skater. She has a beautiful flip and lutz technique while the loop not so great (and it wasn't at Nationals either), great skater. Kudos to Ilia Klimkin :D

Riko Takino -> Again enjoyed the FS more than the SP, Les Misérables better without lyrics (Jeffrey Buttle is the next Lori Nichol, he's doing programs for everyone basically), she needs to work on her jumps though: it's weird because the edge on the first lutz looked okay to me but i thought the flip in the 3 jumps combo was under

Akari Matsuoka -> So elegant, and her spins are flowers, but i thought judges were nice with her jumps: lots of jumps with the question mark on the rotation.

Kaetlyn Nguyen -> i think she is the best american skater i've seen in junior ladies in years. Usually they come in these competitions without the jumps or the form to even skate a clean free program. This wasn't 100% clean but she fought for everything which is always nice to see. Good lutz technique, good musicality shown in the steps sequence, very nice 2a-3T. She has to improve on the height of these jumps and overall on the expression (stoneface during the entire program, but this is usual to see in juniors)

if this is history.. . a < quad attempt.. then jason brown's quads are just as valid... NOT... sorry not sorry

hater exposed (or maybe you agree with Tarasova that Jason and Adam should compete in ladies because they can't jump quads)

A quad in ladies figure skating is history, even underrotated.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
And Sasha broke the record, she has highest score for international debut. Previous - Panenkova at Sofia Trophy 197.37. Zagitova an year ago had 194.37.
I believe at this JGP event all Ladies are underscored. They deserved higher score, while placing is right.

I completely agree. The scoring is ridiculously low across the board. It's like they decided to be extra harsh this year.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare Zagitova's scores to Trusova's - she was a year older.

Why only Gubanova? Tarakanova won Trusova past season both at Younger and Elder age Nationals.
And Miss Rippon Panenkova. And Vasilieva is very strong too. And Rika Kihira.

Well, I at least don't think very highly of either Panenkova or Vasilieva. Tarakanova is good but not as good as Gubanova and I don't think that she should quite be at Trusova's level(Especially if Trusova uses the quad).

So probably because Gubanova's the only one out of those who'd be a real challenge to beat.

I'm still curious about scores for PCS by Australian judge (number 6). :) May be in Australia they still use 6.0 - system? :laugh:

It's very frustrating if completely incompetent judges are allowed to judge simply due to being from the host country.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Also i think her 3ltz-3T is much better than her 3ltz-3Lo but looking at the protocols she got more points with the loop combo so i can see why she is doing it..
I think she was nervous a little bit.
Her 3lz3lo is pretty impressive usually. and stable.
even in SP her 3F3lo was huge!
https://youtu.be/ob-RAeEF4mY?t=1m4s
But she used to jump 3lz3lo it in first half of the program before. so let's give her some time))

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's very frustrating if completely incompetent judges are allowed to judge simply due to being from the host country.

:sarcasm: You realise that to judge JGP you have to have passed all the prerequisite ISU exams, host country or not, right? And that the annual exams were only a month or so ago?

liv

Record Breaker
Trusova. I could not believe her speed. She raced around there, doing jumps really out of nowhere. Yes, 4s was underrotated, but you have the feeling that she can do it properly. So much power in this little frame, no awkwardness while moving on the ice... some spin issues, but just in the flexibility demanding positions... Please keep this girl healthy, and let the next few growth years be kind to her!! In the meantime, enjoy the now!!

Another thing in her favour: she is eteri's girl, but does not do that unsightly exagerrated push when going into her lutz or flip that her other students do. I hate that!! Good for alexandra.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
:sarcasm: You realise that to judge JGP you have to have passed all the prerequisite ISU exams, host country or not, right? And that the annual exams were only a month or so ago?

Well I don't think it has anything to do with judge 6 being Australian. But it does seem strange that their PCS scores for every skater were significantly lower than all of the other judges, and enough to pull down the PCS across the board.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Is this really the judging you want to use to defend the ISU's methods of training judges? I think you can count on one hand the scores from this particular judge that were factored in. The rest were tossed for being outliers.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Do we know what Trusova's second JGP assignment is??

Also good job to everybody :biggrin: Trusova was just amazing!!

katymay

Medalist
Trusova is just WOW. There is Trusova and then there are the rest. She does remind me of Tara Lipinski to some extent, with the fast rotation, personality, speed and energy. Is she flexible? No, but neither was Yuna or a host of other great skaters. I would love to see the end of beilmans anyway, ruins a great layback IMO, and I'm just sick of seeing them. I also don't think Trusova will need to worry much about puberty, she is teeny tiny like Tara, and I doubt she is going to change much. Many of the Russian skaters I think are over rated, and even boring (to me) to watch, but this kid impressed the heck out of me.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
hater exposed (or maybe you agree with Tarasova that Jason and Adam should compete in ladies because they can't jump quads)

A quad in ladies figure skating is history, even underrotated.

nope.. not a hater.. nor even a disliker. Last year, Alexei tried the quad loop... well... a lot of people were upset that a poor attempt would be ratified as the first one in history. Then people were very happy that Yuzu got his ratified as it was completely rotated with a good landing. All I am saying is that whatever the jump, whatever the age or gender, if we are going to talk about history-making achievements, well, let's do it on clean jumps. Trusova already made history this weekend by being the youngest winner of a JGP (if that's correct... I read that somewhere)... she will keep making history as it's clear that she can land a clean 4s... but this attempt, although very good to me, doesn't make history.... we are all entitled to our opinion but history in sports suggests something that is good enough to be talked about decades from now...

In my opinion, Trusova will be in the history books but not for that attempt... for other achievements... sure. I don't think it serves anyone to lower our standards with jump quality because it's a13 y o girl attempting the quad.... that's actually sexist attitude of "oh well, girls cannot really do it, so let's cheer when one almost does it". I believe that it is possible for some truly gifted young ladies to land it in competition, fully rotated, and when that's happen, whoever succeeds it, i will be joining the party of admirers. And regarding Trusova herself, WOW is indeed a good word. BRAVO

YMMV

oleada

Record Breaker
Trusova gets both good height on her jumps and rotates quickly so hopefully she should make it through puberty ok.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
nope.. not a hater.. nor even a disliker. Last year, Alexei tried the quad loop... well... a lot of people were upset that a poor attempt would be ratified as the first one in history. Then people were very happy that Yuzu got his ratified as it was completely rotated with a good landing. All I am saying is that whatever the jump, whatever the age or gender, if we are going to talk about history-making achievements, well, let's do it on clean jumps. Trusova already made history this weekend by being the youngest winning of a JGP (if that's correct... I read that somewhere)... she will keep making history as it's clear that she can land a clean 4s... but this attempt, although very good to me, doesn't make history.... we are all entitled to our opinion but history in sports suggest something that is good enough to be talked about decades from now...

In my opinion, Trusova will be in the history books but not for that attempt... for other achievements... sure. I don't think it serves anyone to lower our standards with jump quality because it's a13 y o girl attempting the quad.... that's actually sexist attitude of "oh well, girls cannot really do it, so let's cheer when one almost does it". I believe that it is possible for some truly gifted young ladies to land it in competition, fully rotated, and when that's happen, whoever succeeds it, i will be joining the party of admirers. And regarding Trusova herself, WOW is indeed a good word. BRAVO

YMMV

What did you mean by that? That Sasha isn't truly gifted?

And there you go. Absoulutely fully rotated 4T. I'm 100% sure she will do the same amazing fully rotated jump on competition. But she's unfortunately injured. She's 13yo too.

What about Sasha, I've never seen her doing clean 4S. I hope she will do it one day, but she's not ready right now. It's obvious. But anyway this is around 8 points for 4< so it's worth it.

Ender

Match Penalty
Not sure which is more insulting

A 13 yr. old girl's quad being compared to a more seasoned grown man or

A more seasoned grown man's quad being compared to a 13 year old girl
We have men doing quads for years, UR or not they're doing them. Ladies not so much. Ladies doing quad is much rarer. I am glad we are seeing this.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What did you mean by that? That Sasha isn't truly gifted?

And there you go. Absoulutely fully rotated 4T. I'm 100% sure she will do the same amazing fully rotated jump on competition. But she's unfortunately injured. She's 13yo too.

What about Sasha, I've never seen her doing clean 4S. I hope she will do it one day, but she's not ready right now. It's obvious. But anyway this is around 8 points for 4< so it's worth it.

No i didn't mean that Sasha isn't gifted.... seriously. All I am saying is that I personally think that "making history" should be on succeeded in competition attempts.. not in practice like the beautiful combo Anna did (which I had seen but thank you anyways) or not on attempts that are not flawless.

I am truly impressed by Trusova's jumping prowess. I like how she goes up in the air so high. Her tight and fast rotation is wonderful.

I think some fans here are just too quick and too eager to glorify her and some fans are too quick and too eager to pounce on someone like me who just happens to have a different opinion.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does Miki Ando's 4S from like 2002-2003 JGPF not count as the first anymore? I know in retrospect people say it was UR, but it was considered the first a long time...but I think the ISU still ratified it.

This doesn't take away from Trusova's attempt -- I though it was a good one and it's clear she has a lot of great jump ability, but just sincerely confused at all the "history" talk.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Does Miki Ando's 4S from like 2002-2003 JGPF not count as the first anymore? I know in retrospect people say it was UR, but it was considered the first a long time...But I feel like the ISU ratified it as the first....

it still counts as the first says ISU

ISU also ratified Kurt's 4toe which wasn't perfect... back then, it was a whole different judging system.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This doesn't take away from Trusova's attempt -- I though it was a good one and it's clear she has a lot of great jump ability, but just sincerely confused at all the "history" talk.

exactly my point... as well...
1) people seem to have forgotten Miki Ando's
2) people are being forgiving on an attempt that was close but not fully around...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Does Miki Ando's 4S from like 2002-2003 JGPF not count as the first anymore? I know in retrospect people say it was UR, but it was considered the first a long time...but I think the ISU still ratified it.

It still counts as the first ratified quad. I think when caretless quad happens for a lady it should be regarded with respect as the "first under the current scoring system" and probably also "first fully rotated quad" as we all understand "landing" it was more important back in the day. Tarasova's would be seen as fabulous back in the day.

I don't think this takes away from Miki, but I think the first lady to do it now, should get credit for doing so under the rigors of the current judging system.

As it stands. Has any other lady managed only a single caret quad yet? I know Sasha attempted some... but were any under IJS?