2017 Jr Worlds Ladies SP | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Ladies SP

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I'm sure what Alina does is very difficult, but I'd really like to see her work on her lines. To me personally (I'm a retired dancer), the jumps and fancy spins/footwork are meaningless if the remaining 90% of the program is full of unaesthetic body positions, bent elbows/knees, weird pronation and flexing of wrists, etc. These Russians have a vast cultural background of ballet to look to. I really think the current system does not reward grace on ice as much as it should.

Leonardo

Final Flight
In a few words: Marin skated a gorgeous figure skating program, a complete artistic piece with beautiful elements and breathtaking skating skills. Alina skated a lot of very well executed and incredibly difficult elements put together with a music. The latter always wins these days. A shame, really!

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm sure what Alina does is very difficult, but I'd really like to see her work on her lines. To me personally (I'm a retired dancer), the jumps and fancy spins/footwork are meaningless if the remaining 90% of the program is full of unaesthetic body positions, bent elbows/knees, weird pronation and flexing of wrists, etc. These Russians have a vast cultural background of ballet to look to. I really think the current system does not reward grace on ice as much as it should.

That's what I've been thinking for YEARS. I like Alina but all her odd, bent, and not aesthetically pleasing movements are really distracting. It's not just the postures, but the lack of lines, nice positions, and not holding movements is really awkward. I'd dock her on components, but it's not included.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Sidenote: I think this is the first time a Mexican lady has ever qualified for the free skate at Junior Worlds. Congrats, Andrea Montesinos Cantu!

ETA: Went back a little farther in the books -- the last time was either 1989 or 1988 (Erika Beckley placed 30th in 1989 but I can't tell if she skated a free skate). A very long time either way!

Also, Emily Naphtal came close in 2005, making it past the qualifying rounds to place 27th in the SP but missing the FS by just under 2.5 points.

Wow, congratulations to her. And she is very refined considering her age (14 yo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s51t5M2VWHI
I wonder if she is related with the Cantú sisters.

Cantú is apparently a common last name in Mexico, so I don't believe Andrea is related to Ana Cecilia and Michelle.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
That's what I've been thinking for YEARS. I like Alina but all her odd, bent, and not aesthetically pleasing movements are really distracting. It's not just the postures, but the lack of lines, nice positions, and not holding movements is really awkward. I'd dock her on components, but it's not included.

And just when Evgenia start to get better her sloppiness, comes this girl to challenge her. I don´t get a break!!! :dbana:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Any girl that can charmingly deliver Beetlejuice, as a LP one season and then smashingly give us Smile as a SP in another has or is paying her dues quite nicely :)

frida80

Record Breaker
And just when Evgenia start to get better her sloppiness, comes this girl to challenge her. I don´t get a break!!! :dbana:

It is baffling that the country that has the best dancers in the world and puts all their skaters in ballet as toddlers could look so non-balletic.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It is baffling that the country that has the best dancers in the world and puts all their skaters in ballet as toddlers could look so non-balletic.

Exactly! I have never seen a better ballet by non-Russians. I don't get it. Russian ballet dancers have the perfect posture and lines compare to top American ballet companies. Russian skaters have the worst posture and lines. What is it about these girls that are so sloppy and can't straighten out their legs and arms. Can't even think of a single Russian girl who has good posture.

Barb

Record Breaker
Exactly! I have never seen a better ballet by non-Russians. I don't get it. Russian ballet dancers have the perfect posture and lines compare to top American ballet companies. Russian skaters have the worst posture and lines. What is it about these girls that are so sloppy and can't straighten out their legs and arms. Can't even think of a single Russian girl who has good posture.

I think that Yulia and Polina T. are the most decent.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Re Polina T. I dont see the underrotations. Wow. They should protest this. How unjust. Sure she doesnt release her free leg before landing but that doesnt mean she underrotated the jump.

shyne

Final Flight

My guess is those with great lines went on and became ballerinas instead of figure skaters (Just kidding).
The current Russian school of figure skating is so competitive and emphasis on points instead of posture/lines. They are so jump oriented and just don't have the time to develop the artistic side.

Lipea

Final Flight

How about Gubanova?

bramweld

Record Breaker

For a split second you had me baffled then I realized you meant dancers and not ice dancers. But in all honesty, many of my favourite dancers are not Russian. Some Russian dancers may have great technique the other great artistry, but very few have that rare combination of both. I think the world has caught up with Russia with respect to both dancers and ice dancers.

frida80

Record Breaker
For a split second you had me baffled then I realized you meant dancers and not ice dancers. But in all honesty, many of my favourite dancers are not Russian. Some Russian dancers may have great technique the other great artistry, but very few have that rare combination of both. I think the world has caught up with Russia with respect to both dancers and ice dancers.

Lol. Once upon a time, they were the best ice dancers. My how times have changed.

I think people are looking for more emotion and feeling than they were in the past. Russians still have outstanding technique, though. We have an retired Russian pair skater at my rink. Watching her demonstrate how choreography is just breathtaking. As though she never stopped dancing all these years. Them I watch current Russians and see nothing like this in any of them. I just don't understand.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you kidding me?

I'm sure we could go back and forth on the matter but if THIS isn't an example of posture being used to maximum effectiveness then I'm just not sure I understand the point of it and why we would waste our time to judge it :)

I've time stamped it at 55 seconds but after the whole sequence is complete and she holds her position to pop her head up right on the beat (1:12) ...well....that seems to me to be an excellent use of what I consider a strong balletic posture. Of course there are other ways to achieve great posture...some may be more appealing to others and involve holding out different positions but I'm not sure why such preferences seem to cancel out and cause some to not credit others efforts.

Last edited: