2017 Jr Worlds Mens SP | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Mens SP

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew's first competition was in mid-September, which is really early fall.

According to 4everchan, a break to a leg or ankle takes a long time to heal completely.
When Osmond first returned to competition from her broken leg last season, she had good competitions and some really rough ones. She now has all her jumps back, but still struggles with stamina issues in her FS.

This year, Andrew's first JGP event was successful---he won silver. But the second event, in Germany, was rough, with 4 falls in the FS. His first try at US Senior Nationals was just OK---7th in the SP, but 11th in the FS and 11th overall. Andrew is just 15. He will have better competitions in the future.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
i think not having quads in the short is good for kids... it shows them that they need to work on other aspects than just jumping...

For instance, what is the difference between Conrad who landed all his jumps well and the top 4-5 guys ? Quality of skating, steps, transitions, spins... etc Yes he does have quads... Yes he can make up some ground perhaps over a couple boys who don't have them in the free... but it sends the right message to these young jumpers : develop everything.

and allowing everything allows everyone to showcase their best, whether it's footwork or jumps or skating skills or spins or whatever. you don't need to send them any message, they will realize just jumps alone will not win medals. Otherwise Nathan Chen would just collect gold medal starting last year.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I had time to catch up on the top guys, and wow, so many great performances, such a close race!

Favorite performance: Samarin, omg, everything he lacks he makes up in artitude and that AWESOME music choice. .

Biggest surprise: Krasnozhon. I was never into his skating, rough and heavy... but holy molly, that SP was great, the choreo was fantastic, those valleys right on music were everything!

Second biggest surprise: Aliev. Ok, he always kinda bored me, and I generally gave up on trying to get into his programs, but here he was so smooth and fast that did get into it!

Biggest disappointment: Samohin. WHY WHY WHY Daniel? I love you, and your chutzpah, and your over-the-top-ness and I rooted for you to win it all!

Favorite costume: Sadovsky? Take notes, Jun Hwan, if you want to dress all black, look food but not boring, this is how you do it.

Worst music choice: Sam Smith's falsetto ruins everything. When Vincent started I t didn't immediately recognize the song, and I thought, "that's a prett awesome bondesque tune!" Aaaand then... the falsetto. Sam Smith's fasetto ruins his oen, otherwise-decent songs. Ugh. I enjoyed Vincent though?

Liked: Nadeau. Nice rogram.

Still Meh: Jun Hwan Cha. He's got so much going for him, great body movement, great spins but that program is just blah. He did perform it much better than before but it's so weirdly cut and disjointed and, IMO, not fitting him, that I can't get into it. Nadeu was doing the same style and did it better.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a fan of Andrew T. and Nicolas, the situations aren't really comparable.

I'm :cry: that my American mangloved one bombed so badly, but he fractured his ankle in June 2015. (I remember I was actually thinking of going to the Liberty Summer comp to see him, and then, nope, he's injured) So it's been close to two years and I'm not sure that's a factor.

Nicolas evidently injured his ankle some time in September? August? 2016. That said, I have seen no reports that it was a break. However, those pesky soft tissue injuries....

And both reported that they injured themselves practicing quad loops.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Oh no....Andrew Torgashev didn't make the cut? :( Well, at least he's only 15...there's always next season.

And Samohin has cemented his place as my new heartbreaker :(

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Oh no....Andrew Torgashev didn't make the cut? :( Well, at least he's only 15...there's always next season.

And Samohin has cemented his place as my new heartbreaker :(

And Torgashev was the first one to NOT make the cut :(

I'm giving Samohin a bit of a break. Euros was clearly a skate-related fluke.

sheetz

Record Breaker
AFAIK Andrew has never landed a clean 3A in competition so I was kind of holding my breath on that jump. He still has time but for sure he'll want to get that jump under his belt very soon. He's strong, athletic, and gets plenty of height on his attempts so I'm sure he'll get it. I remember it took forever for Shoma to finally land his 3A.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Andrew's first competition was in mid-September, which is really early fall.

According to 4everchan, a break to a leg or ankle takes a long time to heal completely.
When Osmond first returned to competition from her broken leg last season, she had good competitions and some really rough ones. She now has all her jumps back, but still struggles with stamina issues in her FS.

This year, Andrew's first JGP event was successful---he won silver. But the second event, in Germany, was rough, with 4 falls in the FS. His first try at US Senior Nationals was just OK---7th in the SP, but 11th in the FS and 11th overall. Andrew is just 15. He will have better competitions in the future.

wait a second chuck.

when talking about kaetlyn i knew what kind of injury she had. there are so many different kinds of fractures and injuries. I don't know anything about Andrew's medical history, so don't quote me saying that "according to me" his injury is the same kind :)

Some injuries, yes, ankles included, can take a long time but look at Nathan, he had a hip surgery and he was back quadding away. Everyone's recovery is different. Osmond's has been very tough.
Again, I don't know Andrew at all... but at 15, without a stable 3A, it's rather normal not to make the cut, on top of that, if there are other errors. Popping in the short doesn't often translate into top 24 at juniors considering all skaters pretty much do the same content.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
All the hugs to Andrew! He's young and has a lot of potential and time to grow. I feel next quad will really be his time to shine.

Oftentimes the bad experiences are the ones you learn the most from.

Good luck to all the men in the FS!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wait a second chuck.

when talking about kaetlyn i knew what kind of injury she had. there are so many different kinds of fractures and injuries. I don't know anything about Andrew's medical history, so don't quote me saying that "according to me" his injury is the same kind :)

Some injuries, yes, ankles included, can take a long time but look at Nathan, he had a hip surgery and he was back quadding away. Everyone's recovery is different. Osmond's has been very tough.
Again, I don't know Andrew at all... but at 15, without a stable 3A, it's rather normal not to make the cut, on top of that, if there are other errors. Popping in the short doesn't often translate into top 24 at juniors considering all skaters pretty much do the same content.

Andrew did win a silver medal in the JGP and was the second alternate to the JGPF, ahead of Sadovsky. Andrew didn't have a 3a before the injury and it will take time for him to become stable on it. He's only had a few months since returning from injury. His 4s is somewhat more stable than his 3a.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
chuck, that's all very nice but i don't see how it relates... a poster was inquiring about Nic, i mentioned the injury... because it sidelined him for the entire fall season and upon return, he has been having difficulties with jumps but he did have his jumps last year, hence the silver medal at Junior Worlds, and then you dragged me into a conversation about Andrew's medical history... when I don't even know the skater... i just saw him for the first time yesterday. I apologize, but I rarely follow juniors, I am doing so with the boys this year because I saw these boys at Canadian Nationals and I like them a lot.

Good for Andrew to have been able to go to JGP.... Nic didn't get that chance.

Now, my point about the 3A is about qualifying for the final at worlds... .it has nothing to do with JGP, simply because nobody is cut there and it is common, for Roman as well, that some skaters will not have a great 3A but can land quads. From seeing him skate yesterday for the first time, I thought he was a very nice skater with great fluid skating and I hope he will continue to develop and remain free from major injuries

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He competed last summer, so he's been back on the ice for at least 9 months. I am no expert on broken ankles, but it happened to him in June 2015...not sure I buy that as an excuse for popping jumps in March 2017, unless he specifically said that it was bothering him.

I still feel bad for him. Many thought he might be the next big thing after Chen. There are different types of broken ankles. His definitely was far from the worst. I broke my ankle well I was attacked by a drunk idiot. I spent nine days in hospital, had surgery and was not allowed to bear weight for six months - no weight at all. As a result I had to learn how to walk again forget a triple salchow. I am pretty sure my break was not considered the worst either. Whatever reason it must be hard to know he missed skating his fs by one position.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I thought Vincent deserved around 80 or 81 points for his skate, even though I can't stand the Sam Smith wailing (and we get to hear Jason skate to it at Worlds too!).

Cha was just lovely - his performance has improved in just one season. Maybe we'll get more "A Chorus Line" performances from other skaters instead of a million POTOs, Romeo and Juliets and overused soundtracks.

Will they ever change the rule about the SP jump layouts for the junior men? Kind of makes for a boring competition.

I really was impressed with the men/boys Yes, Cha and Zhou were lovely but I was enamoured pleasantly by the Russian boys. And I really Liked Nic and Roman from Canada- especially Nic - he really has a lot of charm on the ice. I would have given both Canadians 3 to 4 more points and both Russian boys Samarin and Alieve mabye 2 pts more. Zhou also deserves a point or two. Just wonderful skating from young men.

NNHH

Rinkside
I'm glad I'm not the only Sondre-fan here! :hap10:

Hi! This is my first post here on Golden Skate Forum after reading it for few weeks! :) Yay! I am happy to see another Sondre´s fans!! I thought I was only one in his „fanclub“. I hope he will do great in today´s free skate, fingers crossed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi! This is my first post here on Golden Skate Forum after reading it for few weeks! :) Yay! I am happy to see another Sondre´s fans!! I thought I was only one in his „fanclub“. I hope he will do great in today´s free skate, fingers crossed.

Welcome to Golden Skate NNHH! :) Post often, post long! And Sondre was quite lovely! A new fun discovery for me.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I just want to say Sondre has the best breakfasts.

auser

Record Breaker

Welcome NNHH I hope we get to see more Slovakian skaters and fans :hap10:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Nicolas is just coming back from injury... he has the jumps :) his 3A is giant!!! so is his 3F... He has been working on different quads as well...pretty much all of them but the flip. He missed the entire JGP season because of his injury and when I saw him at Nationals, he was very rusty.... he even popped the loop in his SP... so hopefully, he skates well tomorrow. At Nationals he landed a quad loop in his FP with two gorgeous 3A ;) I am not worried for his jumps, more for his readiness to compete here.

I'm glad to hear it! In that case, looking even more forward to seeing him in future. I know he was injured, he'll have time to recover properly for next season. I like his performances a lot. :thumbsup:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
chuck, that's all very nice but i don't see how it relates... a poster was inquiring about Nic, i mentioned the injury... because it sidelined him for the entire fall season and upon return, he has been having difficulties with jumps but he did have his jumps last year, hence the silver medal at Junior Worlds, and then you dragged me into a conversation about Andrew's medical history... when I don't even know the skater... i just saw him for the first time yesterday. I apologize, but I rarely follow juniors, I am doing so with the boys this year because I saw these boys at Canadian Nationals and I like them a lot.

Good for Andrew to have been able to go to JGP.... Nic didn't get that chance.

At least Nic got to skate in the 2015-2016 season and won a JW medal. Andrew broke his ankle in June 2015 and HAD no 2015-16 season. At one point, there was doubt that he would be able to return to competition at all. If you recall, Sota Yamamoto also fractured an ankle about the same time as Andrew, and Sota hasn't even returned to the ice as yet.

Now, my point about the 3A is about qualifying for the final at worlds... .it has nothing to do with JGP, simply because nobody is cut there and it is common, for Roman as well, that some skaters will not have a great 3A but can land quads. From seeing him skate yesterday for the first time, I thought he was a very nice skater with great fluid skating and I hope he will continue to develop and remain free from major injuries

Andrew is 15 and time is on his side.

As for Roman Sadovsky, his FS was very disappointing. He was slow, fell on both 3As, but even worse, he got so many URs and DGs, including his 4S. Another poster thought Roman would do better as an ice dancer: he has style, elegance and musicality. Might be a good change of direction for him.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
At least Nic got to skate in the 2015-2016 season and won a JW medal. Andrew broke his ankle in June 2015 and HAD no 2015-16 season. At one point, there was doubt that he would be able to return to competition at all. If you recall, Sota Yamamoto also fractured an ankle about the same time as Andrew, and Sota hasn't even returned to the ice as yet.

Andrew is 15 and time is on his side.

As for Roman Sadovsky, his FS was very disappointing. He was slow, fell on both 3As, but even worse, he got so many URs and DGs, including his 4S. Another poster thought Roman would do better as an ice dancer: he has style, elegance and musicality. Might be a good change of direction for him.

roman injured himself a few eks ago and had to w/d from bavarian open... i m sure that didn't help

and nic got a 2015-16 season because his injury happened a the beginning of 2016-2017.... and he missed pretty much all of 2016-2017 or skated without much stamina/conviction