2017 Worlds Short Dance | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Short Dance

StormyCloudss

On the Ice
I didn't watch V/M program, but I am sad G/P are lowballed big time. How do you hit/loose levels? Do they use a protractor to measure the angles the blade makes on the ice, then use a stop watch to asses the timings? I am not even trying to understand GOE, just simple bare TES. Those judges must have a degree in geometry.

Depends on the element - stuff like, did you catch your blade within the first rotation (even a tiny bit off will downgrade to level 2,) were your edges clear enough, enough holds... ice dance is complicated.

This was a very entertaining short dance.

But...does anyone else think that Virtue and Moir were better in 2010, Papadakis and Cizeron were better last year, Chock and Bates were better in 2015, Cappellini & Lanpotte and Weaver & Poje were better in 2014, Shibs were better last year, and the Russians haven't had a compelling team since Ilych and Katsalopv in 2014?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
BoP had mentioned how Virtue and Moir are past their prime. Evidently, so past their prime that they just got a personal best/new World record SD. :biggrin:

The score doesn't mean anything. The base values are higher in this season's SD for starters, so the scores were always going to be higher. They've skated better than this in the past, although there's no doubt they were on fire here and easily deserved to win. It was their best of the whole season, I noticed a couple extra details that they seemed to have saved for this competition.

all that

Final Flight
This was a very entertaining short dance.

But...does anyone else think that Virtue and Moir were better in 2010,

Definitely not. V/M are skating miles better now than they were in 2010. Speed, power, glide, flow, ease of transitions and lifts, etc., are all improved.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Everytime people say that Virtue and Moir were better in 2010, they are snitching on themselves and exposing how little they understand about ice dance and technique.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It might be fun to believe that fairy tale, but let's actually look at their 2010 Olympic SD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6mge7uZbLo

In that performance they are getting lower into their knees than they get these days, Scott's feet are noticeably quicker in that performance than how he moves now, his posture better, the expressions are more confident, Tessa had better back-bend, and lifts? The lift they do in that program is way more fluid than what they do these days. You can see the noticeably longer amount of time it takes them to set-up what they do in their current SD as compared to the snap they had in 2010, also in that final twist they do at the end in 2010. They never transition that quick these days.

Some of this comes down to how they are simply bulkier now. There's no denying that fact, regardless of the effect you think it has on their skating. They are bulkier now. In dance, such a thing can cut into your lines and interfere with the potential for being able to move as swiftly and flexibly as possible. Maybe you don't see that happening in their performances. I do.

A lot of people seem to get upset about these observations. It's possible to still be amazing skaters, and even have improved some basics of your skating, but not be as good overall as you used to be. People shouldn't get so upset at such a prospect, although I suppose it's a naturally upsetting thing that everyone has to face in the life and nobody really wants to at a certain age (ie - what happens to your body as you get older).

Bcash

Final Flight
It might be fun to believe that fairy tale, but let's actually look at their 2010 Olympic SD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6mge7uZbLo

In that performance they are getting lower into their knees than they get these days, Scott's feet are noticeably quicker in that performance than how he moves now, his posture better, the expressions are more confident, Tessa had better back-bend, and lifts? The lift they do in that program is way more fluid than what they do these days. You can see the noticeably longer amount of time it takes them to set-up what they do in their current SD as compared to the snap they had in 2010, also in that final twist they do at the end in 2010. They never transition that quick these days.

Some of this comes down to how they are simply bulkier now. There's no denying that fact, regardless of the effect you think it has on their skating. They are bulkier now. In dance, such a thing can cut into your lines and interfere with the potential for being able to move as swiftly and flexibly as possible. Maybe you don't see that happening in their performances. I do.

A lot of people seem to get upset about these observations. It's possible to still be amazing skaters, and even have improved some basics of your skating, but not be as good overall as you used to be. People shouldn't get so upset at such a prospect, although I suppose it's a naturally upsetting thing that everyone has to face in the life and nobody really wants to at a certain age (ie - what happens to your body as you get older).

Of course they are bulkier now. Scott is able to hide it a bit better with his clothing, not Tessa. And TBH I'm surprised they haven't been able to slim down over the season, given that they're still under 30.

Re. the performances, well, it seems like V/M are gonna be over-marked all the way to their second Olympic gold. Whatever justifies the 6 mark gap probably was not in their skating.

gmyers

Record Breaker
BoP had mentioned how Virtue and Moir are past their prime. Evidently, so past their prime that they just got a personal best/new World record SD. :biggrin:

gmyers mentioned how Virtue and Moir wouldn't win because they haven't been to Worlds in 3 years. And barring disaster in the FD, I think he just might be proven wrong... just a hunch. ;)

Also, while upsets are exciting, I don't get bored with skaters doing well and "inevitably winning". The rest of the field is welcome to get better/catch up, and we shouldn't fault skaters for being consistent and able to deliver. I don't want Medvedeva or V/M to have an error just to mix things up and make it interesting. I'd rather they skate their best and if so, yeah, they'll win, and that's okay.

I view predicting as a fun game and not declarations of war against people who I don't predict as the winners which is why I don't actually do it that much!

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Hello everyone ! So thoughts on this day :

Tessa&Scott were really great honestly, what more can I say ! They were on fire ! If I were to be peaky, yes there was a mini-slip at the end of scott twizzle's (I think), AND I got scared that the end could felt rushed but they managed to pull a superbe performance.

Papa&Ciz reworked SD was awesome, the end is just delightful ! Mistake on the twizzle unfortunately :/ Today they reminded me of Tessa&Scott at worlds in 2013, mistakes on the SD but saved by great Skating skills :) But This is where my knowledge stops : I have no idea why they lost so many levels on the step sequences, but I am no TC.

Maddie&Zach : HAHA ! I was secretly hoping for a montreal sweep to be honest but I never thought it would happen today on the SD ! They looked SO good, and their work with Patch paid off, they got their lecels ! what a way to make a difference, I am so happy for them and it is so deserved !

Maddie&Evan : Well, these 2 know how to deliver at worlds, what can I say ? Looked great and I won't be surprised to see them get another medal this year, they really know how to peak at the right time, we'll see !

Shibsibs : Probably the 'surprise' placement of the day, but based on the performance, I have to admit not so much... Very very clean of course, but not enough abandon :/ And for the levels I just don't know once again ^^ The thing is, I prefer the SD much more than the FD... but subjective.

Weapo : this almost looks like redemption, 0.04 behind shibs ! Definitely deserved, hopes for them : a clean , error-free FD !

Anna&Luca : Enjoyable to watch as always, but it is ALWAYS the same story : massive score at europeans, and they almost skate better here and drop. Okay, TC was a bit harsh with everyone today BUT I think the 7th place is deserved. I will enjoy their FD tomorrow, it's a lot of fun.

Katia&Dima : I usually like these too, but today... Dima looked reserved, it's so weird. It looked a bit laboured.

Piper&Paul : Fireeeeee. I know their FD is much appreciated so we could have shiffting tomorrow.

StepBukin : These 2 could be awesome, and their choreo isn't very good, the steps seems laboured, but I think that they could be the next generation post-2018, so why are their coaches giving them such material ? Somme hidden skills here.

General :
-For the British eurosport guys, this is the dream podium.
-I wouldn't have gave such a lead to V/M to be honest, but everyone was hammered on levels, not on PCS.
-America, promote your ice dance teams instead of your single skaters, I mean, 3,4 AND 5. What more do you want ?
-I look like I like everyone, well DUH. I love ice dance.

Wishes :
-P/C, get magical on the free please, I want to be in another dimension
-V/M, perform an awesome FD and please Scott propose to Tessa at the end, I have been waiting since 2008 for that, thanks
-American + Weapo Battle
-Everone skate clean AND NO TWIZZLE CRAP !

Bcash

Final Flight
Yes I agree P&C will definitely get the silver unless they have a fall in the FD. That is the only way I could see them possibly not getting it. It will be exciting to see which U.S team gets the bronze. I really hope it will be the Hubbell & Donohue getting it.

I hope HD emote the hell out of their FD and be rewarded for their sweeping power and smooth skating over the bland and weird programs from the Shibs and C/B respectively.

Bcash

Final Flight
After a whole season I still think the Shibs have the best SD music remix and edit, combining the essence of both to forge something new and coherent and rising to a natural climax. Love the part of the music for the seamless transition into their midline step sequence. Their FD music selection is probably the most high-brow of all the top teams, really serious musical compositions, but not quite so effective for their performance, or maybe it's the other way around.

And this choreographic style shows off their strengths and hides their weaknesses. Not so much in the FD.

Also, surprised by the dislikes for H/D's music. I don't love it but I think they interpreted it well. And in that skating lesson interview before the season started I remember them mentioning that some of the judges who went to their rink kind of couldn't help but dance to that SD music edit.

Last edited:

rosy14

Final Flight
and seeing now Ekaterina and Dimitri made me cry, because of last year story when we couldn't see their ultimate gem of program FD 'Anna Karenina' was at Worlds...

I'd have kept it, polishing, refining, increasing in difficulties, but kept. It was beautiful.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Both of B/S' programs this year feel so uninspired, though the skating itself is consistently very good. What are the odds of them getting better programs next year?

Same as them getting a new coach!

I'd have kept it, polishing, refining, increasing in difficulties, but kept. It was beautiful.

But very extremely Russian

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
So excited that I get to listen to Tanith and Ben's take on the SD on tonight's NBCSN coverage of Dance! The fact that I have been watching skating live, or watching skating on youtube, or reading fan threads since 5:30 a.m. does not dull my enthusiasm! But it does dull my energy. Just texted my husband to pick up supper on his way home!!:biggrin:

Everytime people say that Virtue and Moir were better in 2010, they are snitching on themselves and exposing how little they understand about ice dance and technique.

I plead guilty to having little understanding about ice dance and technique. But I know what I like. ;) To me, Virtue and Moir were so crisp and precise in 2010. I started following them in 2006, and the Mahler program just seemed like the perfect culmination of their art.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
So excited that I get to listen to Tanith and Ben's take on the SD on tonight's NBCSN coverage of Dance! The fact that I have been watching skating live, or watching skating on youtube, or reading fan threads since 5:30 a.m. does not dull my enthusiasm! But it does dull my energy. Just texted my husband to pick up supper on his way home!!:biggrin:

I figured they'd have Tanith doing coverage since she'd done everything until today with Ryan Bradley. I'm excited that she's going to do it with Ben, and I really enjoyed listening to him the last time NBC had him commenting on Ice Dance.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Tessa was in a world of pain in 2010. If they ever wanted to be like themselves in 2010 then they would have to immediately retire. You can't go through a career in pain like that. That's just crazy. What they can do is go for excellence to the best of their current abilities. And that's what they're striving for. Hit those levels. Have those memorable performances. Make all those who comment about your weight have something else to think about. :biggrin: