2018 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Free Dance

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sergei Ponomarenko is not 1.73 m he is 5.8 which is about 177 cm. I think being short (under 170 - 173 cm) is a disadvantage in ice dance.

Umm, no. 5 foot 8 inches is equal to 68 inches. 68 inches is equal to 172.72 cm, which gets rounded to 173 cm or 1.73 m. Shane and Jean Luc are 5'7", which is equal to 170 cm.

177 cm is a 69.7 inches, or a bit over 5'9.5".

Bcash

Final Flight
The team whose height difference (or lack thereof) poses the most problem for me as a viewer has got to be the Parsons. Just not a visually pleasing pairing. Same height+same build. It makes everything look like it takes more effort, and in ID you generally want to see effortlessness.

Barb

Record Breaker
I noticed that past seasons Kaitlin H. looked underweight, now with a normal weight they are skating better.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I noticed that past seasons Kaitlin H. looked underweight, now with a normal weight they are skating better.

That's the same with Stepanova. She put on weight and muscles (still one of the slimest dancers out there though) but she is definitely skating better.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
BTW..it's pretty standard in Hollywood for male stars to fudge their height numbers if they are under 5'10. You always hear that Tom Cruise claims to be 5'9 but many, many people who have actually stood next to him say he's actually at least 2 inches shorter. Do they measure the athletes or is it self report?

Some men are tall and have no presences on the ice. Some men are short and have huge presences. I'd rather a guy be short with good edges than tall with shallow ones. However I won't lie. Long lines on the ice are nice to look at it and taller skaters often seem to be moving faster because their strides are naturally longer.

But in the end short or tall it's the quality of the skater that matters. I remember some commentator saying that the advantage of being close in height is that you can match lines much more easily and the advantage to a big height difference is that lifts are easier and more spectacular.

And since my favourite pairs team is Sui and Cong height differences don't really effect how much I enjoy a team.

When I watch Lauriault / Le Gac I always see that he has to hold back and shorten his stride / glide. It's particularly visible in their Rhumba pattern when they have to dance in hold. He's 177 centimetres tall and she's 150 centimetres tall according to ISU. I can't think of a greater difference in height in Ice Dance. It's 10 & 5/8 of inch.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
When I watch Lauriault / Le Gac I always see that he has to hold back and shorten his stride / glide. It's particularly visible in their Rhumba pattern when they have to dance in hold. He's 177 centimetres tall and she's 150 centimetres tall according to ISU. I can't think of a greater difference in height in Ice Dance. It's 10 & 5/8 of inch.

That's the whole matching lines issue isn't it?

Barb

Record Breaker

Wang/Liu are the same difference, 27cm. He is 1.90m and she is 1.63m, and prbably her biography is exaggerated with her height, she looks shorter. Usually I don´t have problem with height difference, but their difference is too much visually.

larat

On the Ice
Umm, no. 5 foot 8 inches is equal to 68 inches. 68 inches is equal to 172.72 cm, which gets rounded to 173 cm or 1.73 m. Shane and Jean Luc are 5'7", which is equal to 170 cm.

177 cm is a 69.7 inches, or a bit over 5'9.5".

Sergey Ponomarenko is not 173 cm. He is 177-178 at least

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Depends on your partner height too. But, we notice more the tall dancers. However, tall has its disadvantage too. I don't know who are the tallest dance team today (BOTH men and lady), perhaps WeaPo. The tallest guy is Andrew Poje (191 cm on ISU bio), but Xinyu Liu seems taller.

I was a bit bothered by Liu's height, but am not by Poje's. As I was watching, I thought "he needs a taller partner". Not that they aren't very good. Another pair with extreme height difference is Chock/Bates.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Penny Coomes is 154cm and Nicholas Buckland is 182cm. So about 1cm more of a difference.

Sergey Ponomarenko is not 173 cm. He is 177-178 at least

Okay, first of all, I've made it clear in the several posts I've made about people's heights that I'm going by their ISU bios and/or Wikipedia for the older teams. I haven't measured them myself. Second of all, what you said in that post that I responded was "Sergei Ponomarenko is not 1.73 m he is 5.8 which is about 177 cm". And a person cannot be both 5'8" and 177cm, which is what I responded.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Penny Coomes is 154cm and Nicholas Buckland is 182cm. So about 1cm more of a difference.

Okay, first of all, I've made it clear in the several posts I've made about people's heights that I'm going by their ISU bios and/or Wikipedia for the older teams. I haven't measured them myself. Second of all, what you said in that post that I responded was "Sergei Ponomarenko is not 1.73 m he is 5.8 which is about 177 cm". And a person cannot be both 5'8" and 177cm, which is what I responded.

I always find Coomes and Buckland's height difference a bit jarring in the dance event. I'm always waiting for them to do a throw. ;)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Soucisse & Firus won Canada's sole medal at 4CC, and CBC television only aired brief clips of their free dance. Ugh. :disapp:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

I completely forgot about Penny & Nic.

rain

Record Breaker
Soucisse & Firus won Canada's sole medal at 4CC, and CBC television only aired brief clips of their free dance. Ugh. :disapp:

I haven't seen the CBC television coverage yet — this is awful! I'll be writing a complaint.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

I don't think they showed Europeans either, did they ? I mean Olympics are in 2 weeks, and S/F did amazing here. Gotta prepare the audience to the future of Canadian Ice Dance :clap:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

They are likely to go to Worlds after the Olympics, so to get some spotlight by Canadian media as they are also a future of Canadian dance. Though post-Olympic Worlds always happens to be somewhat lackluster and the media will be still busy for analyzing Olympic results. However, more figure skating fans will recognize their presence at Worlds and perhaps start falling in their skating. :)

xox

On the Ice

I saw that too. the only medallists for Canada and they showed kevin reynolds entire long program with a 7th place finish? Nothing against Kevin but bizzare to say the least.