2018 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Free Dance

synteis

Medalist
So the tech panel gives you an illegal element call but the judges love the move and give you 1.70 in GOE for it? One hand taketh and the other giveth. This is just nuts.

Yeah that really sucks. Have they been dinged before this season? I know they weren't at Nationals but that isn't shocking. Of course there is a more stringent tech caller here (which I am general pro towards) so maybe that's why.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I need a list of who we're dismissing in ice dance over (lack of) height differences.

So far from this event I've got:

Soucisse/Firus
Parsons/Parsons

Who else did I miss? Virtue/Moir?

Marta25

Medalist
Congrats to Kaitlin and Jean-Luc! May this only be one of many titles they will win in the future.
IMO, people are way to focussed on height difference, this isn't pairs. A team like Skoptcova/Aleshin, who have only 4 cm height difference, are doing just fine, so the 14 cm between Soucisse and Firus shouldn't really be an issue.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I need a list of who we're dismissing in ice dance over (lack of) height differences.

Soucisse/Firus
Parsons/Parsons

Hawayek/Baker and Aldridge/Eaton, I saw some posts about Loboda/Drozd and Carreira/Ponomarenko, too. Last season there were some voices ofc about how Madison Hubbell is too much of everything (except probably being a perfect 'fit' as for talent and skill, but it's not relevant apparently...), physically-speaking, for Zachary...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Luca Lanotte is short. He and Anna do just fine. :)

well, the height never seems an issue for teams themselves, especially those from 'top shelf', having skilful partners and charismatic performers, yet this is an issue for those watching them...;), also - those 'shorter' guys (more like perceived as such) seems to handle their Ladies and themselves more than fine :laugh:

larat

On the Ice

Soucisse/Firus
Parsons/Parsons

Well. It is just a fact. Baker, Firus are great ice dancers but I do not think they ever are going to be at the top. The shortest of the Champions is Moir.

ChanClan

On the Ice
Well. It is just a fact. Baker, Firus are great ice dancers but I do not think they ever are going to be at the top. The shortest of the Champions is Moir.

Charlie White is 5'9" (175 cm), which means he's actually shorter than Moir (180 cm).

ice coverage

Record Breaker

It is a just a fact that you have an opinion about height? OK.

And it is just a fact that some do not agree with your opinion.

Congratulations to the Parsons for making a good comeback with their FD. :bow:

And to Wang/Liu for their highest Four Continents placement ever.

And to the medalists, esp. Muramoto/Reed.

Good luck to W/L and M/R at the Olympics :yay:.

larat

On the Ice
well, the height never seems an issue for teams themselves, especially those from 'top shelf', having skilful partners and charismatic performers, yet this is an issue for those watching them...;), also - those 'shorter' guys (more like perceived as such) seems to handle their Ladies and themselves more than fine :laugh:

Luka Lanotte 5.10 I am thinking about guys below 5.7 ish.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
BTW..it's pretty standard in Hollywood for male stars to fudge their height numbers if they are under 5'10. You always hear that Tom Cruise claims to be 5'9 but many, many people who have actually stood next to him say he's actually at least 2 inches shorter. Do they measure the athletes or is it self report?

Some men are tall and have no presences on the ice. Some men are short and have huge presences. I'd rather a guy be short with good edges than tall with shallow ones. However I won't lie. Long lines on the ice are nice to look at it and taller skaters often seem to be moving faster because their strides are naturally longer.

But in the end short or tall it's the quality of the skater that matters. I remember some commentator saying that the advantage of being close in height is that you can match lines much more easily and the advantage to a big height difference is that lifts are easier and more spectacular.

And since my favourite pairs team is Sui and Cong height differences don't really effect how much I enjoy a team.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Charlie White is 5'9" (175 cm), which means he's actually shorter than Moir (180 cm).

I think this might be a case of posture off the ice. Scott slouches. I've noticed it when he's not skating. I think Charlie holds himself up more straightly. Scott is, I think, still a hockey player at heart. I think he'd ditch Tessa and Ice Dance in a second if the NHL came calling. Just a theory of mine.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think this might be a case of posture off the ice. Scott slouches. I've noticed it when he's not skating. I think Charlie holds himself up more straightly. Scott is, I think, still a hockey player at heart. I think he'd ditch Tessa and Ice Dance in a second if the NHL came calling. Just a theory of mine.

You must have missed all the interviews where he says Tessa made the decision to leave hockey behind easier. He was never as good a hockey player and he knew it.

Unrelated but deciding someone's career in ice dance based on height just makes no sense to me. This isn't pairs.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
You must have missed all the interviews where he says Tessa made the decision to leave hockey behind easier. He was never a good hockey player and he knew it.

Unrelated but deciding someone's career in ice dance based on height just makes no sense to me. This isn't pairs.

But that is sort of what I'm saying.. if he suddenly was good enough to play in the NHL I think he'd choose hockey. First of all he'd make a lot more money.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Maxim Staviski is listed as 1.73 m on Wikipedia, 5'8". That's 3 cm taller than Shane and Jean Luc. His partner Albena Denkova is 1.65 m, taller than Carolane and Kaitlyn. They won Worlds twice and had two other World medals.

Gwendal Peizerat is also listed as 1.73m. Marina Anissina is also taller than Kaitlyn and Carolane, at 1.63m. They have Olympic gold and bronze, a World title and 3 WSM.

Sergei Ponomarenko is also listed at 1.73m. Paul Duchesnay is 1.74m. Marina Klimova and Isabelle Duchesnay are both taller than Carolane and Kaitlyn.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
But that is sort of what I'm saying.. if he suddenly was good enough to play in the NHL I think he'd choose hockey. First of all he'd make a lot more money.

He would not have the kind of career he's had with Tessa were he in the NHL. Not everything's about money?

Anyways we're getting off topic now.

The bronze medallists are really making history. Ryom/Kim get the first ISU Championship medal for North Korea and Muramoto/Reed do the same in ice dance for Japan. That should maybe help in developing ice dance in Japan.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
He would not have the kind of career he's had with Tessa were he in the NHL. Not everything's about money?

The bronze medallists are really making history. Ryom/Kim get the first ISU Championship medal for North Korea and Muramoto/Reed do the same in ice dance for Japan. That should maybe help in developing ice dance in Japan.

True on all counts. Off topic and it's not all about money.

I'm really glad to see China working on their ID program. I assume they are eyeing a team medal in 2022.

Barb

Record Breaker

they are truly catching some attention in Japan. Just compare the views in their performance 13,000 vs 2,500 for H/B and 1,400 for S/F.

larat

On the Ice
Maxim Staviski is listed as 1.73 m on Wikipedia, 5'8". That's 3 cm taller than Shane and Jean Luc. His partner Albena Denkova is 1.65 m, taller than Carolane and Kaitlyn. They won Worlds twice and had two other World medals.

Gwendal Peizerat is also listed as 1.73m. Marina Anissina is also taller than Kaitlyn and Carolane, at 1.63m. They have Olympic gold and bronze, a World title and 3 WSM.

Sergei Ponomarenko is also listed at 1.73m. Paul Duchesnay is 1.74m. Marina Klimova and Isabelle Duchesnay are both taller than Carolane and Kaitlyn.

Sergei Ponomarenko is not 1.73 m he is 5.8 which is about 177 cm. I think being short (under 170 - 173 cm) is a disadvantage in ice dance.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think being short (under 170 - 173 cm) is a disadvantage in ice dance.
Depends on your partner height too. But, we notice more the tall dancers. However, tall has its disadvantage too. I don't know who are the tallest dance team today (BOTH men and lady), perhaps WeaPo. The tallest guy is Andrew Poje (191 cm on ISU bio), but Xinyu Liu seems taller.