2018 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Free Dance

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Hmm, anyone sticking around for the men’s short? It doesn't start till 3:30, hmmm... maybe I’ll have a cat nap.

Well, I'm off to... not nap, because I tried to catch a nap in between pairs and ladies last night, and like a FOOL slept through the entire thing. So, I'm committed to insomnia for the men tonight!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We can complain about the sparse audiences, but those are honkin big medals. France, eat your heart out!

auser

Record Breaker
Okay everyone, it's been fun as always, but I have to go now. I won't be around for men sadly because I have to wake up early for a physio appointment and then ice the rest of the day.

Cheers! :hap93:
Thanks for your insights Ic3Rabbit. Hope your appt goes well and you feel 100 percent soon :)

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
What was S/F illegal move? Did they have two illegal moves or is it 2 point deduction for a single illegal move?

I am no ice dance expert, but I watched the program, and the only thing that seemed off to me was their stationary lift. That's my untrained, best educated guess, but hopefully someone else who knows the rules better can figure it out. I have no idea what the rule is for the deduction that was imposed on them.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Deduction rules: http://www.isu.org/inside-single-pa...-deduction-chart-who-is-responsible-2016/file

Rule 704, paragraph 16:

Illegal Lift Movement/Pose – The following movements and/or poses during the lift are illegal:
a) lying or sitting on the partner’s head;
b) standing on the partner’s shoulder or back;
c) lifted partner in upside down split pose (with sustained angle
between thighs more than 45 degrees);
d) lifting partner swinging the lifted partner around;
i) by holding the skate(s)/boot(s) or leg(s) only with fully
extended arm(s) or without the assistance of hand(s)/arm(s) or;
ii) by holding the hand(s) with full arm extension by both partners.
e) point of contact of the lifting hand(s)/arm(s) of the lifting partner
with any part of the body of the lifted partner is sustained higher
than the lifting partner’s head;
f) hand/arm which is used as an additional support or balancing only
or which touches any part of the body of the lifted partner is
sustained by the lifting partner higher than his head for more than 2
seconds.
A brief movement through poses a) to e) will be permitted if it is not
established (sustained) or if it is used only to change pose

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nice event despite the fact the top six teams were not present (which does effect the quality). So nice to see a non NA team on the podium and they won the bronze fair and square - although those in the know will admit missing the top six teams makes a huge difference. third to ninth. I thought M/R would win the silver because that Canadian team really wasn't on the horizon - though they do have a nice look and some good skating skills. I am pretty sure this is Liam F's brother and for whatever reason both boys seem to have very good skating skills - I think some say Liam should move to dance since he can't do the big jumps. The American win was never in doubt. It was actually more interesting to see the teams second to sixth. Parsons look good yay!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Nice event despite the fact the top six teams were not present (which does effect the quality). So nice to see a non NA team on the podium and they won the bronze fair and square - although those in the know will admit missing the top six teams makes a huge difference. third to ninth. I thought M/R would win the silver because that Canadian team really wasn't on the horizon - though they do have a nice look and some good skating skills. I am pretty sure this is Liam F's brother and for whatever reason both boys seem to have very good skating skills - I think some say Liam should move to dance since he can't do the big jumps. The American win was never in doubt. It was actually more interesting to see the teams second to sixth. Parsons look good yay!

Shane Firus and Liam Firus are in fact brothers. :)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Caught up late, again :

First, Kana/Chris made history today :hap10: !! We really need more Asian Dance teams getting ISU medals, hopefully with Beijing 2022, a whole program will be set up at least for Chinese teams.

Hawayek/Baker, so nice as always, a little nervous perhaps and understandably so. But they needed to go in a competition as favourites, getting gold, prize money and ranking points really. Great skating quality.

Soucisse/Firus are going to give Gilles/Poirier a run for their money if they continue to improve like that :eek: Technically brilliant. Canadian champions in 2019 or 2020 ? ;)

Mcnamara/Carpenter : great vehicle for a 1st senior year, super choice. A bit nervous at times perhaps, they have some great entries into their elements. Can't wait to see what they come up with next season, especially since we have a Tango SD.

Wang/Liu : he is exceptionnal, how can a very tall men with a short partner can possiby keep such a wonderful posture ? :eek: They also have a feel for the music, it makes it so easy to watch and appreciate.

Parsons/Parsons : A bit rough around they edges sometimes, they gave it all. I'm a huge fan of the original program so the comparaison is inevitable and it's almost odd to see it with an IJS perspective. Again, can't wait to see what they have to offer next season.

Min/Gamelin : hopefully the FD will go viral in Korea ! They skated really well here.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
i think the illegal element was in the last one choreographical lift

Yup, based on d) ii) from what Mango posted, the ChLi was illegally executed - even if beautifully executed! ;)

I'm glad it didn't cost them silver, though it did keep them sub 100. But it's odd that the ChLi still counted even though it was an illegal element?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
had some little time to re-watch a bit - could not be any more happy that two of my top FDs this season landed the podium!!! Of course, I'm sad for Parsons and Lorraine and Quinn, but I trust that they'll enter new season with determination and poise to prove themselves stronger, shrugging off first senior season jitters.

Kaitlin and Jean-Luc were a class on their own for me - especially in terms of creating a 'lightweight' atmosphere, aura around their whole performance that captures spirit of the music perfectly each time they are skating the program. Comparing this outing of FD with Nationals, they were more tight in some parts, the movement was not as 'spacious' and flowing, but still the program gave out that effortless feel of something special happening. The program, choreography/design of it feeds from Kaitlin/Jean-Luc's chemistry and qualities, with carefulness about blending it all with music, theme - there is an agreement between piano passages and every element, transition that creates whole picture, but somehow this serenity, quiet yet profound engagement radiating from both of them dig deeper behind just beautiful visuals. The truly make me feel each time watching them this affection, emotion, care flowing from how Jean-Luc leads Kaitlin and how she responds. What I really appreciate is the simplicity and honesty surrounding this FD - it's about music, movement and how they are portrayed by dancers, with focal point directed at blending everything together, not being about exaggerated, 'fancy' gestures, standing out of one of partners or appearing to be 'so into it'. I think that as much Jean-Luc deserves every possible praise in the universe for his skill, partnering ability, presentation, edge quality, this praise would not be as bright and possible to sing without Kaitlin - yes, she's not the most 'alpha', vivacious female partner in ID, she tends to let nerves get the worst out of her, but honestly she's a perfect compliment to Jean-Luc that elevates her own skill, letting his be more visible; I just cannot imagine him with other partner to be honest. What also gets me about this FD is that the choreography does not forcefully try to highlight the music, there's no 'flashy' quality about how the movement flows along with it, not before or after the rhythm/tempo; there's delicacy, intricacy, but it's not 'in-your-face' I feel, which sets this FD - and Kaitlin/Jean-Luc - apart from other lyrical/modern/contemporary programs made. The tune of that musicality and effortless feel is just on point to create a continuous flow that builds steadily, every aspect of the program, performance of it, skaters' attitude just feels cohesive, no race to shine brighter separately, no 'flash' about concept - whole picture gives the most powerful effect and makes the brightest gem for me. And what's even more important - they are feeling natural, peaceful in that FD, every time they are performing it there's that impression being amazed, consumed by the music and the moment emitted from them.

Like I already said in Japanese Nats ID thread, Kana/Chris' FD is one of the best for me this season mainly due to the depth they are able to achieve inside this lyrical/contemporary aesthetic of a program; it's about how dynamic and static parts are linked and that the differentiation feels natural, organic, flow-y. I love Chris' strength and creating a beautiful frame for Kana who blossoms like sakura in this dance: her movement finishing, attention to detail, expression, engagement into music and story they want to portray are highlights. Like in Hawayek/Baker's FD, there's a sense of natural, effortless build in the program, musical accents are prompted, but in very subtle way ( I love especially their lifts, which give the sense of 'airiness', how Kana/Chris are able to control the change of music's rhythm/tempo by lifts' positions). Again, the dance/performance as a whole are feeling 'lightweight', easy on eyes, enchanting by its simplicity, being straightforward, beautiful to watch, but also easy to get attached to/to get deeper behind sole visual. I am beyond glad that they seems to have this peak right now, going stronger and stronger, more convincing, focused and determined in their step than they were ever before.

I am sad for both Parsons and Lorraine and Quinn, because their first senior season is kind of rocky, which confirmed itself at 4CC. I think that they have great goods and qualities to build on, but the pressure/weight of their first senior season looks like it got maybe too much into them, also I have this impression lately - especially seeing them in comparison with Soucisse/Firus, going with their first senior season, too - that their material could be too much, 'overdesigned' for them. I get that their team probably aimed to get them more 'ready-senior', sophisticated, mature outlook (with FDs especially), but it felt not that convincing and strongly backed by execution/presentation I feel. Lorraine/Quinn's FD idea was very good, but somehow for me the music chosen was too heavy (?) - I really wish they'd have something 'lighter': a Tango program that represents the style of the dance, but with more 'lighter' mood, maybe with music being not stricte Tango, but a variation/mesh of different styles of it (Gotan Project maybe?), I just cannot put my finger on this right now. I think that McNamara/Carpenter should focus on making their material more 'them' in future, feeding from their natural performers' qualities/tendencies that making them look different; Tango-themed SD (pattern dance?) upcoming season should be a great opportunity for them to expand that path taken for this season's FD, but making it more personalized, allowing them to dig deeper behind sole concept. As for Parsons, I really feel that technical issues affected their performances, reception of them, but on the top of that, FD being pretty different from the entire field and so deeply associated with ID past at the same time did not do them any favours I feel. I wish they'd have something more youthful, dynamic, because they really can pull off energetic, fast and dynamic in their programs - this season, their FD did little to 'define' them as a team for me, unlike their last season's brilliant FD: from muddy costumes, the whole 'Ghost Dances' idea taken from Duchesnays (along with choreo patterns in places) to uneven level of their performances, it was just not convincing overall. Why not to take on DeVotchka, Benjamin Clementine if they want something non-traditional, quirky, but modern and 'now'? To be honest (call me crazy), I'd love to see them doing something rock-edgy: Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, maybe Nothing But Thieves from more 'new' bands...

In a bit of contrast to my impressions about Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter material, I feel that Carolanne and Shane got packaged very smartly, despite their FD having more simplistic, 'prime & proper' vibe/outlook - with right mileage and strong technique fitting the design of the dance, they achieved for me this 'lightweight', easy quality about their FD in reception, picture created, there is something non-pretentious, whimsical and youthful in this jazzy program for them. It's rightfully dynamic, not too romantic, not too 'mushy' or lyrical - it gives a bit of a musical, Broadway-ish feel about their appearance that makes up to a great entertainment/performance value, especially backed up with that kind of ease in execution. In a sea of this lyrical, contemporary, classical aesthetic there we have a modern rendition of Fred & Ginger, done with such class, sleekness, maturity and sophistication surpassing their age and experience. And again - their are perfectly matched for me, not only in terms of physique, but more importantly in terms of dynamic/chemistry between them, how she follows her lead and how he presents her in programs; there's lovely harmony between their movement, I just hope that they'll maintain this solidness and strength in delivering, adding more personality and character, 'signature' in the process. As for FD specifically, I feel that they defined it throughout the season than let it define them of some sorts, like it happen for Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter in some extend.