2018 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Ladies SP

mikeko666

Final Flight
I agree that her under rotated loop does not get called as it should. In Skate America I saw her 3Lo in front of me, I could see the mark of her blade on the ice and it was way more than 90 degree short.

She left the blade mark with 3Lo in SP at Nats, which I could see from my seat. It was more like 3Lo<<. They didn't show in slow motion, either.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Funny how Satoko has a higher TR mark than Kaori....
I think Kaori should be leading after the SP...
Uhm... Funny how? Kaori's TR were very weak. The mark should even have been significantly lower than they were in comparison to both Satoko and Mai.

She left the blade mark with 3Lo in SP at Nats, which I could see from my seat. It was more like 3Lo<<. They didn't show in slow motion, either.

I did frame by frame video analysis at the time, it was 3Lo<<.

Fully rotated here.

Kara

Final Flight
Today's 3Lo was good so I don't see the point in arguing about her past 3Lo's in this thread.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It just means she's getting better at rotating them which should be a good thing, right?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Really 4CC, you don't NEED to make up for Euros inflation by deflating PCS here.....

it's like hot summer weather clashing with cool and cloudy one - a storm is forming, which confuses viewers about the right mark for each skater...Comparison is practically useless, since marks and 'standard' went off scale and there's now a problem even for judges themselves to relevantly place skater's SS or PE/IN/CO in terms of an actual performance...

Alifyre

On the Ice
it's like hot summer weather clashing with cool and cloudy one - a storm is forming, which confuses viewers about the right mark for each skater...Comparison is practically useless, since marks and 'standard' went off scale and there's now a problem even for judges themselves to relevantly place skater's SS or PE/IN/CO in terms of an actual performance...

While I disagreed with about 95% of the judging in Moscow, especially in terms of PCS inflation, it is definitely frustrating that there is no standard across the board for competitions so we can't compare scores. If we're going to blow up at euros, it should be the same here (although I would prefer seeing people held to realistic scores at euros and here instead). It's a sport, there should be a standard where no one can say "well that was at euros/wtt/etc so of course the scores were higher." The inability to fully compare scores across competitions is also really baffling to new fans to the sport -- I spent a lot of time trying to reconcile the way scoring worked with what I saw on screen when I first entered. With reputation scoring and PCS being influenced in large part by previous PCS, this "realistic" scoring at 4CC vs the huge inflation at euros could actually damage the 4CC skaters' scoring potential for the olympics ...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Really 4CC, you don't NEED to make up for Euros inflation by deflating PCS here.....

4CC have never been generous. Maybe they should.

With reputation scoring and PCS being influenced in large part by previous PCS, this "realistic" scoring at 4CC vs the huge inflation at euros could actually damage the 4CC skaters' scoring potential for the olympics ...

Very true.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I have a big issue with Ms. Sasha MARTINEZ who gave Satoko only 7.25 mark on her SS and 7.75 on her PE. That made my eyes roll busily.

*cue Jean-Luc arrives with 'Get Busy' section of his and Kaitlin's SD*:party2::dance2:, better to train our eyes before Olympics though (if any skaters will be still standing...)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Kaori has better TR than Satoko? in what universe :think: Satoko's program is so seemless from one element to the other, including transitions in-out of her jumps, i can understand the criticism about her jumps but PCS isnt up for debate including TR mark

and so happy Mai had clean short apart from ! call, she looked fierce with the hair and make up, i hope she will deliver another clean LP :yahoo:

they were far from disaster but upset about Elizabet and Soyoun, wishing for redemption skates for them ! :cheer:

Azikin

Medalist
I was looking forward to this but I didn't know that USA and Canada don't take this competition seriously.. :(

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Only managed to catch the last group of the ladies, and I'm so happy for Mai & Kaori :luv17: Mai really didn't have the smallest bit of luck all season, assigned to the toughest GPs, getting comparetively lowballed in scores, and now having health issues again as well... but you wouldn't have known from the way she skated. She looked a bit tentative going into the jumps and we've seen better landings from her, but she really sold the choreo IMO. I loved the steps. And I was in the minority in the beginning of the season already loving this SP, but I love it even more now. Mai really has come a long way. Also, those bangs are amazing and make her even prettier :luv17:
Kaori did well too. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of this SP, and she didn't look her best throughout today for me (especially during the steps), but again it's understandable given her right foot troubles. She really fought for it though, and girl is nothing if not a fighter (and a sunshine). Satoko was the best she's been all season.
The Japanese ladies definitely deserved to be top 3, I'm not sure I agree with the order though. Satoko's UR call was right, but she also deserved to get those lv4 steps ahead of Mai & Kaori. And her PCS are rightfully the highest too. So I'm fine with her being 1st. I'd have Mai ahead of Kaori though, the PCS gap between them should be a bit bigger. Might very well be that the stricter judging Mai got in her GPs compared to Kaori (just remember SA) resulting in lower SBs is too blame. Although they were all very close in the SP for me, and that is the case, so I'm mostly fine with the scoring.

Dabin was lovely too! Shame about the 3F, but otherwise I really liked watching her. She's a bit underrated IMO, she has nice flow, elegance and is quite solid all around. I'd have had her in 4th. Even if Mariah has her qualtities too and is a fun performer, given her fall, I think Dabin deserved to get the nod. Also big congrats to Hanul for making the final LP group! I'll try to catch her video next.

PS:
It's a shame the absolutely whacko judging at EC makes the 4CC scores look kind of... low. But tbh I think majorily the scoring was really good here. There are a few things I'd have changed, like said above, but it's all within the well-FS-is-partly-subjective-and-I-can-see-what-the-judges-did-there range instead of okay-this-makes-me-want-to-hit-a-wall-with-my-head-repetitively-because-what-on-earth :p

Inego

Rinkside
No one wants to miss oly because of injury during 4cc, few weeks left for rock'n'roll :)

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

What sport is Japanese federation investing in if they can let their amazing skaters be treated like this? It is clear as day that, for the upcoming Olympics, ISU is taking Satoko and Kaori out of contention with the artistic greatness that is 15-year-old Zagitova (redoing her junior program) and Medvedeva. I think we all saw this coming.

Now no one can "argue" that a non-clean Zagitova/Medvedeva won over a clean Satoko, because their PC has a 5 point difference. Disgusting.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They are taking Satoko and Kaori out of contention with the artistic greatness that is 15-year-old Zagitova (redoing her junior program) and Medvedeva. I think we all saw this coming. Disgusting.

Well, to be fair, even without Euros PCS inflation, Zagitova and Medvedeva would have easily taken out all the Japanese with their SPs there. Sakamoto is too far behind them outside of the jumps, and Satoko (who should be on par if not better than them, certainly Zagitova in terms of CO/PE/IN) has UR issues, and doesn't backload.

I mean, come on, they just gave Sakamoto a PCS personal best. It's not like they're holding them back - they just have the misfortune of skating 4CC in Taipei as Japanese skaters vs. Euros in Russia as Russian skaters.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Satoko has the best SP this season by miles. Her jumps aren't great - but what she does with her blades and music is beyond reproach. I don't really care who is "the best" by tallying up some arbitrary points - she's doing something very special on the ice.

synteis

Medalist
Watched the last couple of groups. What an enjoyable competition. Alaine finally beat the jump monster in her SP and Satoko mostly rotated her jumps ^_^ Both here and Euros was strict on levels in spins and footwork, I wonder if this will end up being part of a larger trend and what will happen at the Olympics with regards to levels. To be completely honest, the strictness in levels is refreshing so I hope they keep it up.