2018 Four Continents Pairs FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Pairs FS

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That's interesting. So if the Chinese or Canadians skate at only World's and Olympics and do well I am guessing those points will out rank the American's here at 4CC? Maybe that is why we do not see the top 3 Chinese, top 3 Canadians or the top American team here? It was strange they were not here?

US and Canadian Olympians weren't here because the schedule is very crowded Nationals/4CC/Olympics. If you train in North America doing Nationals, then a comp in Asia, then back to training, then back to Asia in a month is just too much. Top North American teams usually skip 4CC in the Olympic year.

Can't speak for the Chinese.

And yes, 4th at the world gets more points than first here. Someone else posted the exact number of points.

auser

Record Breaker
A pack of crackers and some juice, that’s about it. My dog is safe. :laugh:
Glad about your dog :laugh:. But if I was on Amazon's drone delivery team, I might see a market opportunity here(especially if they get big office in Toronto):).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sad I/M did not have a better year. I read the post he had a concussion. I hadn't known this and something is wrong with his hand. They also missed a lift at nationals. If healthy they would have been the class of the field here but hope with D/R retiring next season they get healthy and make worlds again next year.

Nice to see medalists so happy must be thrilling to get the chance to medal.

I am not sure I would send IM to worlds if Duhamel and Radford medal at olympics and retire. It isn't just the concussion Lubovhas had extreme issues with jumps. They just gave up and then they fell behind pc wise the Americans. Once a top 5 world team possibly is barely top 5 weakened field at 4C's. So sad to see them skate so lifeless. Not a good way to end. They should have been able to win. Just a shame. They probably should have pulled an Ashley. I believe Dylan is ready to move on he said anyways. I wish better for them but not everyone can have a fairytale ending. Sui and Han versus Savchenko and her chosen one partner- one will be victorious and the other left devastastated. No fairytale ending for Stolbova and Klimov - just heartache. Good job by the Amerians in a devastated field missing the top 6 teams (maybe even 7)

skatemouse

On the Ice
Yup, 4CC is just about fully attended in every year except the Olympic year, where it becomes barren because of its proximity to the Olys. Unless you're from a similar time zone, there's no way you're competing both this event and the Olys. It wouldn't be smart to do so. Last season's 4CC was easily one of the strongest 4CC pair fields ever assembled. Sometimes one of the top Chinese pairs will miss 4CC for whatever reason, but 2017 had everyone there. It was very comparable to Europeans in terms of strength, if not better. This year's 4CC was the opposite in terms of strength of field, and it didn't help that the one higher ranked pair entered, Lubov & Dylan, have sort of been in disarray this season. But both 2017 & 2018 4CC get the same amount of World Standings points, because the system doesn't account at all for strength of field.

That is why I do not understand why you would not send the top 7 teams to this competition to get the points and standings if it matters even if it is close and hard because maybe you will get the gold here and only get 5th or? at the Olympics? It does not account for a dead field or a really hard field but I guess it is understandable why you would not go. American's skate a lot of times in the Olympics but the Canadians don't? So they should have gone. The Chinese WD but they definitely needed to be there.

Yes last year 4CC was like watching an Olympic Games so I was excited about this year.

I think it may be worst to get Gold here and go to an International that is loaded like World's (not in Olympic year) and get 16. That would be hard too though.

Thanks for explaining I just wish it had been a more strength of field.
Onto next one!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Great result for Cain/LeDuc, Mozer Team USA! :) Well done, guys. I see Alexandrovskaya/Windsor fell behind. Wow, must watch the video.

skatemouse

On the Ice
I am not sure I would send IM to worlds if Duhamel and Radford medal at olympics and retire. It isn't just the concussion Lubovhas had extreme issues with jumps. They just gave up and then they fell behind pc wise the Americans. Once a top 5 world team possibly is barely top 5 weakened field at 4C's. So sad to see them skate so lifeless. Not a good way to end. They should have been able to win. Just a shame. They probably should have pulled an Ashley. I believe Dylan is ready to move on he said anyways. I wish better for them but not everyone can have a fairytale ending. Sui and Han versus Savchenko and her chosen one partner- one will be victorious and the other left devastastated. No fairytale ending for Stolbova and Klimov - just heartache. Good job by the Amerians in a devastated field missing the top 6 teams (maybe even 7)

Perfectly said.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Oh man the podium here wouldn't have made the podium at any GP event this season. :hopelessness: But good for them.

Solid result for Ryom/Kim. :clap: Now go kick butt at the Olympics.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Just took 7 top teams not to be there, a few top teams there to have no scores for some elements. Stars aliened

Everyone has to skate against who is at the competition. And it was quite a close battle between the top six teams. Any of the top four to five after the sp could have won it all with a great skate in the fp. And it was Danny & Tarah skating first in the last group who laid down the best performance. And truthfully, K/O also had the best choreographed free program. Ashley & Timothy did well to hold up under the pressure of being in first place after the fp knowing that other good teams were practically tied with them. Ash/Tim managed to keep one of their lifts up after some miscues. They covered their slight hand hold bobble, and only lost a bit on GOE, but otherwise performed very well to the music and Ash saved her landings on the throws. Every team ended up with some miscues, some major and some minor. The judging was fair.

Katia and Harley have had quite a crazy year via their rapid rise in the standings as juniors, winning JWC last season, then the junior GPF a couple of months ago, and they are now also competing as seniors. I’m not worried. :yes:

Right. Katia and Harley should hold their heads high and chalk this up to experience. I didn't like the camera doing a split screen on Tarah/Danny's victory reaction vs Harley/Katia in the kiss 'n cry feeling devastated. That was not nice. Tarah seemed to try and hold back celebrating her happiness, but Danny couldn't wipe the smile off his face, which is understandable. They put out a good performance, and they deserved to be happy. I'm sure they felt for Katia & Harley too. But Katia & Harley will come back strong. They are a talented young team. This was a good experience for them to learn how to perform under pressure in a senior level competition.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
I wonder how Katia & Harley's final placement versus the North Korean's medal, will affect the starting order for the Olympic Games next month?

Art&Sport

Medalist
Sad I/M did not have a better year. I read the post he had a concussion. I hadn't known this and something is wrong with his hand. They also missed a lift at nationals. If healthy they would have been the class of the field here but hope with D/R retiring next season they get healthy and make worlds again next year.

Nice to see medalists so happy must be thrilling to get the chance to medal.

Dylan has said this is their last season. His body must be spent. Not to mention the training costs. They hope to be able to skate with SOI and other shows. Good luck to them. I wish there was something more on the professional competitive side for skaters who retire from eligible scene and still want to perform.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Now that's really interesting, because usually when I think of Asian countries I think of people working in teams towards something - like less of a focus on the individual. But I guess sport is a different thing!

Or maybe when it comes to pairs there's not enough tall guys in Japan ;) Although Cong from China is pretty short and he can lift with the best of them!
For China, their pairs have been more successful due to Yao bin coaching. Their singles only now start to rise.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
So over the Christmas holiday break, Yuzurudaughter and I went with one of my mom friends and her two daughters from our home skating club to the Hamilton Skating Club’s open ticket ice session, so the girls could get in some extra practice time for an upcoming competition. Bryce is the head coach and director of skater development of the HSC, so he was there on the ice coaching other students. According to both my friend’s daughters, at one point in the session, Yuzurudaughter went right up to Bryce and asked: “Hey, aren’t you the guy who cut his partner’s face that one time at a competition?”

JESUS CHRIST on a CRACKER, CHILD!!! :eeking::eek:::dbana:

Apparently he just laughed and said “Yes, that was a long time ago. She is ok now.”

:laugh2:

right out of the mouth of babes.. lol

barbarafan

Spectator

Only Dylan was injured at Nationals....Lubov is newly injured as well..It was so swollen as well as cut during the short. By the end of the program Dylan's hand looked pretty bad as well..Training hard for a competition with a concussion can be very dangerous for pairs.

barbarafan

Spectator
Wow this is soon to be coming back from a concussion. Especially with 2 competitions in less than 2 weeks.

He had lots of cuts as well including a 7 or 9 stitch one on his lift holding hand. Was only allowed to spin & jump starting jan 1....nationals were the next week. Now Lubov's chin is cut and misshapen...don't know what happened to her but it is new.

aname

On the Ice
I wonder how Katia & Harley's final placement versus the North Korean's medal, will affect the starting order for the Olympic Games next month?
Probably not in any way. From last season, Katia&Harley have their JGP points & Jr Worlds win; from earlier this season, they again earned a bunch of ranking points from JGP (incl. JGPF win) plus they had 2 podium placements in sr Challengers (incl. a win in Tallinn). Those points add up.

In comparison, Ryom/Kim haven't competed in GPs and haven't done Challengers other than Nebelhorn.