2022-23 US Ice Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2022-23 US Ice Dance

dancelion21

On the Ice
The rhythm dance is done at both Grand Prix Final and Golden Spin, and there were some very interesting scores in both.

Chock/Bates can be proud of their performance and score. They came back strong after a somewhat disappointing result at NHK and they're in second place, only 0.5 points behind on the lead.

Hawayek/Baker also had a good performance, despite placing last. They can still cause trouble for the teams above them if the other teams aren't completely clean.

Carreira/Ponomarenko are currently in second place at Golden Spin, with a season's best of 76.54 and 0.7 points behind the leaders. Their score is higher than what Green/Parsons got at Skate Canada, though lower than Gr/Pa's NHK score. Although, Challenger events have such weird scoring that it's very difficult to properly compare scores across competitions. Still, this is in line with CPom's general strength since the start of the season.

Zingas/Kolesnik made a huge splash at their international debut. They scored 73.14 and are currently in third place. This is the second best rhythm dance score among the American dance teams outside the top 4. Notably, they are over 7 points ahead of Pate/Bye, and this bodes really well for how competitive they're going to be in that 5-10 group of skaters. There are so many teams that have been scoring in that range, and we didn't really have datapoints for Z/K before since they were only competing domestically where scores are inflated.

Pate/Bye had a more disappointing showing. Unfortunately, Golden Spin was not livestreamed this year, so we don't have video of what happened, but the scoresheet shows that Eva had a twizzle mistake. Hopefully, they'll be able to have a better showing tomorrow.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The rhythm dance is done at both Grand Prix Final and Golden Spin, and there were some very interesting scores in both.

Chock/Bates can be proud of their performance and score. They came back strong after a somewhat disappointing result at NHK and they're in second place, only 0.5 points behind on the lead.

Hawayek/Baker also had a good performance, despite placing last. They can still cause trouble for the teams above them if the other teams aren't completely clean.

Carreira/Ponomarenko are currently in second place at Golden Spin, with a season's best of 76.54 and 0.7 points behind the leaders. Their score is higher than what Green/Parsons got at Skate Canada, though lower than Gr/Pa's NHK score. Although, Challenger events have such weird scoring that it's very difficult to properly compare scores across competitions. Still, this is in line with CPom's general strength since the start of the season.

Zingas/Kolesnik made a huge splash at their international debut. They scored 73.14 and are currently in third place. This is the second best rhythm dance score among the American dance teams outside the top 4. Notably, they are over 7 points ahead of Pate/Bye, and this bodes really well for how competitive they're going to be in that 5-10 group of skaters. There are so many teams that have been scoring in that range, and we didn't really have datapoints for Z/K before since they were only competing domestically where scores are inflated.

Pate/Bye had a more disappointing showing. Unfortunately, Golden Spin was not livestreamed this year, so we don't have video of what happened, but the scoresheet shows that Eva had a twizzle mistake. Hopefully, they'll be able to have a better showing tomorrow.
I love Z/K. Of course H/B are in last place. If there was a place behind last place, they would be there. Regardless of their skating. What is wrong with Kaitlyn’s knee?

dancelion21

On the Ice
Chock/Bates won silver at Grand Prix Final with a new season's best of 211.94. I'm very surprised with how many choreographic changes they made between NHK and GPF considering the short turnaround. It feels like they've basically performed a different free dance each time they've competed.

Hawayek/Baker placed fifth with a score of 198.06.

Carreira/Ponomarenko won Golden Spin with a season's best score of 191.31. This is slightly higher than the score Green/Parsons got at NHK, though again, it's very difficult to properly compare scores at Grand Prix events to scores at Challengers.

Zingas/Kolesnik won bronze with a score of 184.10. This is a huge win for them on their international debut and is the highest score by an American dance team outside the top 4.

Pate/Bye rallied in the free dance to take 4th place with a score of 174.44 and a personal best free dance score.

Placements at US Nationals from 5-10 is going to be very difficult to predict, which is what makes this field so exciting

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love Z/K. Of course H/B are in last place. If there was a place behind last place, they would be there. Regardless of their skating. What is wrong with Kaitlyn’s knee?
From what the Dutch commentators said (not provable!), it is more of a preventive measure than something wrong at the moment. According to them she can get into trouble with that knee due to the sliding moves, but this will help prevent that. I don't know the truth of it, but it did make me sigh with relief that it's not an injury!

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
i know basically nothing about ice dance or how it's judged, but can someone explain H/B's free dance score? was it really that low? they and the crowd seemed confused about it as was i. was it fair or were they dumped on? at this point i don't know what they need to score better and for the judges to take them seriously.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU Season Best Scores Statistics 2022/2023 - Total Ice Dance
Standing as of 12.12.2022 09:34 UTC

RankNameCountryEventDateScoreLevel
3Madison CHOCK / Evan BATESUSAISU Grand Prix Final 2022/2310/12/2022211.94S
6Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKERUSAISU GP Grand Prix Espoo 202226/11/2022202.46S
8Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONSUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 202229/10/2022194.19S
11Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKOUSAISU CS 54th Golden Spin of Zagreb 202210/12/2022191.31S
16Emilea ZINGAS / Vadym KOLESNIKUSAISU CS 54th Golden Spin of Zagreb 202210/12/2022184.10S
19Katarina WOLFKOSTIN / Jeffrey CHENUSAISU CS Budapest Trophy 202216/10/2022180.46S
20Eva PATE / Logan BYEUSAISU CS U.S. International FS Classic 202215/09/2022179.63S
21Emily BRATTI / Ian SOMERVILLEUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 202229/10/2022179.14S
22Lorraine MCNAMARA / Anton SPIRIDONOVUSAISU CS U.S. International FS Classic 202215/09/2022179.03S
28Oona BROWN / Gage BROWNUSAISU GP MK John Wilson Trophy 202213/11/2022173.74S
46Leah NESET / Artem MARKELOVUSAISU JGP Egna-Neumarkt 202214/10/2022156.36J
55Molly CESANEK / Yehor YEHOROVUSAISU CS IceChallenge 202213/11/2022153.03S
64Vanessa PHAM / Jonathan ROGERSUSAISU JGP Riga Cup 202210/9/2022148.24J
65Jenna HAUER / Benjamin STARRUSAISU JGP Czech Skate 20223/9/2022147.44J
68Helena CARHART / Volodymyr HOROVYIUSAISU JGP Solidarity Cup 20221/10/2022145.46J
76Elliana PEAL / Ethan PEALUSAISU JGP Baltic Cup 20228/10/2022141.87J
77Angela LING / Caleb WEINUSAISU CS Finlandia Trophy 20229/10/2022140.83S
87Romy MALCOLM / Noah LAFORNARAUSAISU JGP Solidarity Cup 20221/10/2022134.78J
90Kristina BLAND / Matthew SPERRYUSAISU JGP Solidarity Cup 20221/10/2022132.86J
Isabella FLORES/Ivan DESYATOVUSAU.S. Ice Dance Final7/11/2022187.86S
Raffaella KONCIUS / Alexey SHCHEPETOVUSAU.S. Ice Dance Final7/11/2022164.86S
Leah KRAUSKOPF / YuanShi JINUSANQS 2022 Onyx Challenge7/11/2022137.65S
Cara MURPHY/Joshua LEVITTUSAU.S. Ice Dance Final7/11/2022130.48S
Caroline DEPIETRI/TJ CAREYUSAU.S. Ice Dance Final7/11/2022128.15S
Klara KOWAR/Thomas SCHWAPPACHUSAU.S. Ice Dance Final7/11/2022126.57S
Riona HARRIS/Tyler VOLLMERUSANQS 2022 Silicon Valley Open7/11/2022106.53S

Last edited:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
i know basically nothing about ice dance or how it's judged, but can someone explain H/B's free dance score? was it really that low? they and the crowd seemed confused about it as was i. was it fair or were they dumped on? at this point i don't know what they need to score better and for the judges to take them seriously.
Late, but I saw Ben Agosto say on Twitter that he felt it was unfair how low their score was (and heavily implied it was at least his second favorite free dance of the night) and frankly if an Olympic medalist in ice dance doesn't get the judging...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one can explain it. The judges hate them. I’m glad you said something because I hate that confused/shell shocked/depressed look on my beautiful Kaitlyn’s face worse than almost anything. If you are going to love them as I do, get ready for pain and for them to place below teams with obvious major errors.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so sorry to hear this. I really like this team and will miss seeing them skate, but more importantly I'm sad for Yegor and his family and what they're going through at this time.
What is going on?

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside
(cross posting from US Nats thread)

Moly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov have withdrawn from Nats:

I really feel for Molly/Yegor…….they have had a rough year with Yegor’s family having to flee Ukraine and Molly having surgery in July! Plus they had just made the move over to MIDA. They are one of my favorite upcoming Ice Dance teams ❤️ I’ve followed them since they were Juniors. I pray everything works out for them, as they continue on their life journey together 🙏

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
No one can explain it. The judges hate them. I’m glad you said something because I hate that confused/shell shocked/depressed look on my beautiful Kaitlyn’s face worse than almost anything. If you are going to love them as I do, get ready for pain and for them to place below teams with obvious major errors.
I sometimes wonder - total conjecture on my part - if their look on the ice is different from other teams because they are so close to the same height. Similar to the way a pair stand out if they are close in height. And the expected look is to have the man taller. Maybe ID teams don't have to be "gorilla and flea" like the sometime stereotype of pairs, but still. I do think that any slightest, tiniest difference in line, in lift of leg or especially knee bend, really shows with Kaitlin and Jean-Luc because you see it instantly due to their similar height. Anyway, just me trying to grasp at why they don't make the impression on judges the way I wish they would!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Skaters who I miss…

what is Avonley Nguyen doing these days? I keep hoping to see she has found a new partner.
Last I knew she had partnered with Grigory Smirnov but then they broke up and he went to Moscow to coach.