2022-23 US Ice Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2022-23 US Ice Dance

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I sometimes wonder - total conjecture on my part - if their look on the ice is different from other teams because they are so close to the same height. Similar to the way a pair stand out if they are close in height. And the expected look is to have the man taller. Maybe ID teams don't have to be "gorilla and flea" like the sometime stereotype of pairs, but still. I do think that any slightest, tiniest difference in line, in lift of leg or especially knee bend, really shows with Kaitlin and Jean-Luc because you see it instantly due to their similar height. Anyway, just me trying to grasp at why they don't make the impression on judges the way I wish they would!
Those are the perceived 'go-to' excuses though.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to be blown away by and loving up on Zingas/ Kolesnik, so far. And Z/ K are also a team who are small in stature, similar in height, and with the male partner having exceptional talent. Hmmm 🤔

With all the depth and talent domestically and internationally, it's simply going to always end up being particular teams with huge talent getting the short end of the stick, unfairly.

Bratti/ Somerville are also relatively moderate height and close in height, with the male partner possessing exquisite skating skills.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
US Junior Champions Leah NESET & Artem MARKELOV are competing at the Bavarian Open. They skate their RD Friday Feb. 3 from 20:56:10 - 21:01:30 Oberstdorf time. (CET) UTC +1

slider11

Medalist
Loving the new upcoming teams in US ice dance but hoping that Hawayek and Baker can work through their challenges and be back on the ice soon. Every team has its ups and downs. Hubbell and Donahue were written off once H/B came on the senior scene but they prevailed to podium World finishes. I'm wondering if a change to the White/Zuelein Michigan Academy might be useful for H/B. It would give them a fresh perspective and allow them to work (coach) in the US while training. Hard call as they would be one of Montreal's top teams if they stay.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loving the new upcoming teams in US ice dance but hoping that Hawayek and Baker can work through their challenges and be back on the ice soon. Every team has its ups and downs. Hubbell and Donahue were written off once H/B came on the senior scene but they prevailed to podium World finishes. I'm wondering if a change to the White/Zuelein Michigan Academy might be useful for H/B. It would give them a fresh perspective and allow them to work (coach) in the US while training. Hard call as they would be one of Montreal's top teams if they stay.
Kaitlyn LOVES it there. I’m not sure he is as enthusiastic. But I would be extremely surprised if they ever leave. I’ve been wishing for them to leave for a long time.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Meanwhile, everyone seems to be blown away by and loving up on Zingas/ Kolesnik, so far. And Z/ K are also a team who are small in stature, similar in height, and with the male partner having exceptional talent. Hmmm 🤔
I'm the same - they're obviously good but I didn't quite get the wow factor that other people were.

I'm in what I think is a minority on here in that I'm a big C/P fan - I have been since they were juniors and I think that the improvements they (mostly Christina) has made this year are huge. I love their programmes this year - so much more mature and intricate than the past and the performance quality in the RD is great. While I know they didn't have a perfect time at Nationals, I think that they were lowballed with scores where Z/K were overscored. C/P seem to be under much more scrutiny that a lot of the other teams. Giving them the bronze and 4CC was the right call in my (admittedly biased) opinion. A fully healed season from Anthony will be very interesting to watch (and I would imagine that a lot of the healing will be mental - over compensating and not having trust in your body and your training for 7 years will definitely be a difficult thing to overcome).

Very interested to see the battle for bronze at 4CC - although I think that LaLa have the better package and momentum this year. For me, one of Green/Parson's issues this season is the lifts in the FD. They aren't smooth or super comfortable - and that's where LaLa have worked a lot in recent years. That and - while perhaps a little cheesy - they have a far more engaging RD.

theblade

On the Ice
The online gossiping about an '80s RD continues to gather steam. How to mesh '80s songs with strict pattern time signatures is already baking my noodle. There's a lot of great songs that won't work, and won't be able to mesh well, IMHO. Really can't wait until we get some official confirmations of what's happening.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Flores/ Desyatov had a spectacular debut with their crowd-pleasing RD! It's lovely to see Bella rebound with such an exciting partnership. She's definitely courageous, talented, and determined. It's interesting how she and Ivan (Vanya) found each other. There was a profile on them earlier this season:

"Flores & Desyatov: Our Goal is to Break Barriers | Ice-dance.com" https://www.ice-dance.com/site/flores-desyatov-our-goal-is-to-break-barriers/

While Bella & Dima were great together too, it was a different vibe they had. Looking back, Dima's large frame and gorgeous skating made special shapes and evocative moments. Bella's dramatic flair and dark good looks added depth and resonance, yet my eyes fairly much took in Dima more. He exuded powerful elegance and mystery. Bella grounded their pairing perfectly. But their adventure unexpectedly came to an end too soon.

How athletes respond to adversity is what makes the difference. I admire Bella and her support network for how she came through something that could have been emotionally devastating. The transition was not easy for sure. But Bella and Vanya finding each other has been a beautiful blessing for them both. They had competed on the JGP at the same event with their former partners, never realizing what the future would soon bring. I enjoy checking out Bella's posted training clips with Vanya on her Instagram, usually filmed by Luke Wang, who competes in junior pairs with Bella's sister, Liv. đź’—

It was great seeing Bella/Vanya's U S. Nats debut. They have a kinetic energy and a palpable connection that's lovely to witness. My eyes follow them both -- they match each other so well. There is synchronicity in their movements and interaction, contrasted by their light vs dark coloring and their different personalities. They both have great technique combined with Bella's passion and dramatic flair, and Vanya's power and daring. I'm hoping to see them continue to develop and rise to the challenges ahead. 🌠

In the Getty Images photo, even their hair is electric and matching in movement! 🤩

"Isabella Flores on Instagram: “Performing our RD at Nationals was, indeed, our “golden hour” 🫶 (Plus, I definitely helped that I felt like a million dollars in my new…”" https://www.instagram.com/p/CoNfsa0rkHp/

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The online gossiping about an '80s RD continues to gather steam. How to mesh '80s songs with strict pattern time signatures is already baking my noodle. There's a lot of great songs that won't work, and won't be able to mesh well, IMHO. Really can't wait until we get some official confirmations of what's happening.
There’s confirmation on the front page. No strict pattern time sequences to be found.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Let’s be real, he’s not vying for 2026.

H/B, G/P, C/P all stand clearly in front. Who knows what C/B are thinking.

Then there is the Browns, P/B, and Vadym and his new partner.

With the way ice dance works outlook for 2026 is slim.
So this came up in the Retirements/Splits thread. ("He" is Jeffrey Chen.) I didn't want to turn that thread into US Ice Dance thread so I'm responding here.

Who do you think will be on the 2026 US Olympic Team in Ice Dance?

Hawayek and Brubaker & Chock and Bates are currently our top two teams, but do you think they will stay in until 2026? I could see it happening, but H/B have had a lot of injuries and C/B could be giving it one last year to try for a potential World Championship. If they are still competing both are on the team, but there is a chance neither will still be competing. Carrera (of C/P) is not a US citizen yet so I would count them out for the team.

Anyway it does not seem to far fetched that Jeffery Chen and hypothetical new partner could be in the running for the 2026 Olympics (if they are a good match and made a big splash next year). Or maybe Wolfkostin and her hypothetical new partner could be in the running.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So this came up in the Retirements/Splits thread. ("He" is Jeffrey Chen.) I didn't want to turn that thread into US Ice Dance thread so I'm responding here.

Who do you think will be on the 2026 US Olympic Team in Ice Dance?

Hawayek and Brubaker & Chock and Bates are currently our top two teams, but do you think they will stay in until 2026? I could see it happening, but H/B have had a lot of injuries and C/B could be giving it one last year to try for a potential World Championship. If they are still competing both are on the team, but there is a chance neither will still be competing. Carrera (of C/P) is not a US citizen yet so I would count them out for the team.

Anyway it does not seem to far fetched that Jeffery Chen and hypothetical new partner could be in the running for the 2026 Olympics (if they are a good match and made a big splash next year). Or maybe Wolfkostin and her hypothetical new partner could be in the running.
I don't think H/B have any plans to go anywhere without another Olympics.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I'm the same - they're obviously good but I didn't quite get the wow factor that other people were.

I'm in what I think is a minority on here in that I'm a big C/P fan - I have been since they were juniors and I think that the improvements they (mostly Christina) has made this year are huge. I love their programmes this year - so much more mature and intricate than the past and the performance quality in the RD is great. While I know they didn't have a perfect time at Nationals, I think that they were lowballed with scores where Z/K were overscored. C/P seem to be under much more scrutiny that a lot of the other teams. Giving them the bronze and 4CC was the right call in my (admittedly biased) opinion. A fully healed season from Anthony will be very interesting to watch (and I would imagine that a lot of the healing will be mental - over compensating and not having trust in your body and your training for 7 years will definitely be a difficult thing to overcome).

Very interested to see the battle for bronze at 4CC - although I think that LaLa have the better package and momentum this year. For me, one of Green/Parson's issues this season is the lifts in the FD. They aren't smooth or super comfortable - and that's where LaLa have worked a lot in recent years. That and - while perhaps a little cheesy - they have a far more engaging RD.
Strongly agree with all of this (though as you probably know I'm another longterm C/P fan). I'm glad they've been able to sharply course-correct from last season, which is a victory in itself, but I hope they have a strong showing at 4CC because it feels like they need every scrap of reputation they can get right now. Beating either LaLa or Green/Parsons would be a big statement, but with the judging as it is they might have to settle for just coming close, barring any big mistakes from the teams above. I really don't think Z/K are ready yet.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Christina will get citizenship in time for 2026. She's had her green card for a few years now. Vadym will also get citizenship in time for 2026 since he has a green card as well, so thankfully, citizenship won't be a big concern for 2026.

Chock/Bates are taking it season by season. My guess is that they're going to go another season for a Montreal Worlds in their training city, especially since they weren't able to have one in 2020. Just based on their reactions at Nationals this year, it didn't feel like they were skating with "last nationals vibes", especially if you compare their reactions to Alexa/Brandon this year or Madi/Zach last year.

I'm very worried about Hawayek/Baker. They've only been to one Olympics together, so I'm sure they want to go to another one, but they've had quite a lot of injuries lately. Kaitlin had a really bad concussion last year, and her knee was super bandaged up at Grand Prix Final, plus the withdrawal from Nationals and Four Continents. Hopefully, they'll be back to their best at Worlds and this will all just blow over, but it does make me doubt if they're able to continue for another three years.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Christina will get citizenship in time for 2026. She's had her green card for a few years now. Vadym will also get citizenship in time for 2026 since he has a green card as well, so thankfully, citizenship won't be a big concern for 2026.

Chock/Bates are taking it season by season. My guess is that they're going to go another season for a Montreal Worlds in their training city, especially since they weren't able to have one in 2020. Just based on their reactions at Nationals this year, it didn't feel like they were skating with "last nationals vibes", especially if you compare their reactions to Alexa/Brandon this year or Madi/Zach last year.

I'm very worried about Hawayek/Baker. They've only been to one Olympics together, so I'm sure they want to go to another one, but they've had quite a lot of injuries lately. Kaitlin had a really bad concussion last year, and her knee was super bandaged up at Grand Prix Final, plus the withdrawal from Nationals and Four Continents. Hopefully, they'll be back to their best at Worlds and this will all just blow over, but it does make me doubt if they're able to continue for another three years.
Kaitlin had one in 2021. JL has had 2 of them-2015 and 2018.

ucrgirl

On the Ice

I'm glad to hear that Christina is on track for citizenship. US citizenship takes so long I had given up hope.