2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 95 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Since there's been a few questions about her status...

New short program for next season choreographed by Kaitlyn Weaver :)

Yay! This excites me!
It was heart wrenching seeing her get injured on her last jump in the FP at Sectionals.
She has a chance these next two seasons!
Wishing our Olympic gold medalist all the best for 2024/2025.

Sackie

Medalist
Hoping the best for Gabby. Hope having her back will boost Maddie on to do better. If not Maddie may not make it back to worlds. But with Gabby back it could mean another CAN lady will not get to complete internationally. SCI will probably be Kaiya, Maddie and Gabby. Or do you think they might give a spot to another CAN lady over Maddie with the hopes that Maddie gets 2 other assignments.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hoping the best for Gabby. Hope having her back will boost Maddie on to do better. If not Maddie may not make it back to worlds. But with Gabby back it could mean another CAN lady will not get to complete internationally. SCI will probably be Kaiya, Maddie and Gabby. Or do you think they might give a spot to another CAN lady over Maddie with the hopes that Maddie gets 2 other assignments.
I don't think they'll assign Gabby to SCI. It'll probably be Sara-Maude or a TBD in addition to Maddie and Kaiya. Gabby would likely be up for a Challenger depending on how her summer competitions go.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah... Gabby would need to land just about everything very very early in the summer to get a chance for SCI and still there, she doesn't meet SCI for GP selection. I am sure it's going to be Kaiya and Sara-Maude. They may hope that Maddie gets 2 GPs elsewhere but they may not care anyways and just assign her too. They usually have the national champion and that's Kaiya.
This being said, I am happy Gabby feels healthy again to go for another season. Maybe she aims to be back for 2026 olympics.
I'd love if for her to end her career with some good skates. She was doing so well until everything collapsed for her.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
SCI will be our 170+ Ladies:
Maddie, Kaiya, Sara Maude next season.
Autumn Classic is available for any Canadian lady that surpasses the domestic benchmark. Last year, it was 166 and only Miclette surpassed that score at her QC event. So, Gabby has a chance for that spot, if she is in good shape.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
SCI will be our 170+ Ladies:
Maddie, Kaiya, Sara Maude next season.
Autumn Classic is available for any Canadian lady that surpasses the domestic benchmark. Last year, it was 166 and only Miclette surpassed that score at her QC event. So, Gabby has a chance for that spot, if she is in good shape.
no ACI this year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There is Cranberry International in Norwood, MA. Its really early August 8-11.
Yeah.. that's the issue. Super early. Who will be ready? And will skate Canada feel like sending athletes out when they have the summer series at the same time?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Summer Homick / Marty Haubrich (8th in Sr pairs at Nationals) have split at last (they split previously but teamed up again). Summer has decided to move to Ice Dance and teamed up with Nicholas Buelow.

Summer turns 17 in July, so they have two more seasons of Jr eligibility.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Lia and Trennt are just starting out and still were top 5 last year in their first season.
In 2023, Lia and Trennt placed sixth at Worlds in their first season. A great showing:

1. Miura/Kihara
2. Knierim/ Frazier
3. Conti/ Macii
4. Stellato-Dudek/ Deschamps
5. Chan/ Howe
6. Pereira/ Michaud
7. Pavlova/ Sviatchenko

Lia/ Trennt placed 8th in 2024, in a deeper field.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In 2023, Lia and Trennt placed sixth at Worlds in their first season. A great showing:

1. Miura/Kihara
2. Knierim/ Frazier
3. Conti/ Macii
4. Stellato-Dudek/ Deschamps
5. Chan/ Howe
6. Pereira/ Michaud
7. Pavlova/ Sviatchenko

Lia/ Trennt placed 8th in 2024, in a deeper field.
of course. does it really make a difference to the point i was making ? moving on.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know most people won’t care about this competition. But, the Sunsational event is taking place this weekend in AB. Thanks to this event, I discovered Lia in her early days of skating. Most competitors are from AB and SK.

I was looking forward to seeing Ethan Scott. But, I think he withdrew.

Women’s SP

1) Sarmiento - She was solid. 44.95
Nice 3T 2T and solid 2A. I really enjoyed this program. Solid spins.
2) Halliday 41.28
I’m not sure why she didn’t add a 2T to her 3T after falling on her 3S. Do these athletes not understand the rules?
3) Johnson 39.75
After a solid 3T 2T, her program was a mess. She struggled on her spins, 3S and 2A….

Unto the Junior Girls next. Looking forward to Annika (she is moving up from Novice to Junior Girls). Her partner Kole had an okay skate to finish 2nd in SP.