2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Short Program

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn't responding to anyone in particular (when I do so, I use the quote function).

thank you! I wish everyone would do this. I do too, but I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about it, so .... :)

I explained why I thought it may be a disastrous event, having read the protocols before watching. While I was watching the first groups, I truly enjoyed seeing most of the guys skate to their potential.

This happens to me too. When I can't watch a whole event, if I look at the results, I often get discouraged from watching it. But if I just go back and watch as if it's happening now (and if I have time) ... it can be a completely different experience, and I usually find some very enjoyable skaters that I wasn't expecting. I enjoy your after-the-fact comments.

The disappointment comes mostly from 3 guys in particular, and all 3, podium contenders. And trust me, I couldn't care less that it ruins my prediction game as you have insinuated... it will ruin everyone's the same way anyway as pretty much everyone chose the same top 5 skaters LOL.... what is disheartening is that there are 5 guys who have worlds minimums and 3 of them didn't skate like skaters who should go to worlds or who would make the LP at worlds. Things will change tomorrow. Lots of rankings will be shuffled. I am happy with the top 3 as it is and wouldn't care if it stayed that way :)

Chantilly

On the Ice
i don't disagree about Roman.. but as i am watching, it seema that Roman, Stephen and Wesley underperformed... a couple of the lower level guys too but there were good performances by many. I guess we have been spoiled over the years with Orser, Browning, Stojko, even Sandhu, Buttle and then Patrick... and this is the low point... Let's see what happens tomorrow.
I wouldn’t include Sandhu in this list as he was very inconsistent. Chan was an incredible skater when he was on but he too was inconsistent once quads became necessary.
I loved Buttle but technically he struggled at the end of his career.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wouldn’t include Sandhu in this list as he was very inconsistent. Chan was an incredible skater when he was on but he too was inconsistent once quads became necessary.
Fair enough about Sandhu but Chan and Buttle often skated really well at Nationals, which is what we are talking about... and their international medals are missed. Pretty much everyone pre nathan chen struggled with quads anyways

Sackie

Medalist

Sorry but I don't think so, he retired in 2008 after winning worlds. In 2005 he won silver at worlds and in 2006 he won bronze at the Olympics. He didn't do as well in 2007 but hat was due to an injury. So I wouldn't say he struggled too much.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lovely skate by Bennet:clap:

Saw him live four years ago and was very impressed by his presence and flow. Plus his parents were very sweet. :)
Unique style for Bennet and I agree about the presence & flow. Jumps were a bit tight. As he gets more comfortable on the big stage, he will hopefully relax a bit.

rain

Record Breaker
Fair enough about Sandhu but Chan and Buttle often skated really well at Nationals, which is what we are talking about... and their international medals are missed. Pretty much everyone pre nathan chen struggled with quads anyways
I know both of them often had their best skates at nationals.

I haven't watched this. I stayed up way too late last night catching up on the short programs and took a look at the standings and decided to forego it for now. Seeing that Roman and Gogolev had complete meltdowns made me less than enthused. I will catch the top skaters in the SP at some point, but this was the one I could skip, lol. Any outside the top 5 worth catching?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of all the Ed Sheeran songs I've heard in skating, this one is probably just outside of my top 15. But a wonderful performance by Beres!
I'm so sad to hear this lovely skater lost his mom recently. I'm glad he has skating to get lost in as he needs it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

I haven't watched this. I stayed up way too late last night catching up on the short programs and took a look at the standings and decided to forego it for now. Seeing that Roman and Gogolev had complete meltdowns made me less than enthused. I will catch the top skaters in the SP at some point, but this was the one I could skip, lol. Any outside the top 5 worth catching?
I mentioned some names earlier in this thread. There were quite a few good performances especially if you're not just watching out for quads. In the last group Corey was beautiful (as he usually is) and Conrad was superb. But there were some really nice skates in the first two groups as well. I would recommend the watch!

Sackie

Medalist
Just getting caught up on the men's short and one thing I am noticing and did with the ladies too, is that the judges seem to give lower GOE on some great elements to the earlier skaters. One that I just watched was Beres and I had to wonder if he were skating in even the 2nd last group what he would have gotten in GOE for his jumps.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

most were fun to watch... except gogolev, roman, chiu and antoine and marek who had lots of issues but the last two, it was expected...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just getting caught up on the men's short and one thing I am noticing and did with the ladies too, is that the judges seem to give lower GOE on some great elements to the earlier skaters. One that I just watched was Beres and I had to wonder if he were skating in even the 2nd last group what he would have gotten in GOE for his jumps.
Beres and Bennet... yup... they deserved a tad higher IMHO

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Guess that shows the importance of doing well at the Challenge so as to get a better skating spot. Especially for those not getting any big assignments.
yup... and Bennet knows about this... as one year he did start in the last group and was showcased... I feel he is such an underrated skater.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Well, a day later and awaiting the FS, there's at least the fact that now people will eagerly watch from the start. Hm. :(