2023 Golden Spin of Zagreb: General Info | Golden Skate

2023 Golden Spin of Zagreb: General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 Golden Spin of Zagreb is the ninth and final event of the 2023-24 Figure Skating Challenger Series and is scheduled to take place in Sisak, Croatia, Dec 6-9, 2023. There were originally 10 events planned for this season, however, IceChallenge was cancelled.

The event will feature all four figure skating disciplines (Men, Women, Ice Dance, and Pairs) and will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 ISU Constitution and General Regulations, the ISU Special Regulations & Technical Rules for Single & Pair Skating, the Technical Rules for Ice Dance 2023/24 (ISU Communication 2560), and relevant ISU Communications.

The event will count towards ISU World Standing Points, Minimum Total Technical Score, Challenger Series in Figure Skating Ranking and Prize Money.

The Challenger Series is an International Figure Skating Series, introduced during the 2014-15 season. Through ISU support, the objective is to ensure the proper and consistent organization and conduct of up to 10 International Competitions linked together within the Challenger Series. The Series gives adequate opportunities for many skaters to compete at the international senior level and earn World Standing Points. The Series also increases the opportunity for Officials to officiate at an international level.

To be considered for the Challenger Series, the competition must have at least three disciplines (Men, Women, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) from a minimum of 10 different ISU Members in all disciplines combined.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown has said he wants to do a Challenger before US Nats.

This is the closest one in time. He has won Golden Spin twice. Will Jason skate here?

So that’s my first entry in the “nothing to do but speculate before the season starts” posts.:biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's hope there will be better coverage than last season. It is kind of the B-final of the GP (even if not officially and there are lots of other skaters besides).
Yes, last season was terrible:(

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
According to the Announcement, the entry deadline has passed. So why is nothing showing yet on any of the Entry Lists?
Because the entry deadline passed on Friday evening and people in Europe don't work on the weekends if they don't have to. Like, literally zero working hours have passed since the deadline at this point, have a bit of patience.

Entries will be out at the earliest today afternoon or most likely tomorrow, as usual. Certainly before the end of the week at the latest.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
According to the Announcement, the entry deadline has passed. So why is nothing showing yet on any of the Entry Lists?

Because the entry deadline passed on Friday evening and people in Europe don't work on the weekends if they don't have to. Like, literally zero working hours have passed since the deadline at this point, have a bit of patience.

Entries will be out at the earliest today afternoon or most likely tomorrow, as usual. Certainly before the end of the week at the latest.

But, you have to keep in mind which event this is. The Golden Spin isn't exactly the best organised event in the world. (Nor anywhere near it!)

Put it like this: I wouldn't be holding my breath while waiting for the entries to be announced.

CaroLiza_fan

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
But, you have to keep in mind which event this is. The Golden Spin isn't exactly the best organised event in the world. (Nor anywhere near it!)

Put it like this: I wouldn't be holding my breath while waiting for the entries to be announced.

CaroLiza_fan
Not so much about how well it's organised, but more so about prior experience. 🙈😅
Last season, the entries were released on the Thursday after the deadline passed, 2021-22 on Monday, in 2019-20 on Tuesday.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not so much about how well it's organised, but more so about prior experience. 🙈😅
Last season, the entries were released on the Thursday after the deadline passed, 2021-22 on Monday, in 2018-19 on Tuesday.

That's not so bad then.

It must be after the entries come out that things start to go downhill! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
That's not so bad then.

It must be after the entries come out that things start to go downhill! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan
Certainly when it comes to streams, unfortunately. Even worse because this is basically the "alternate" GPF for everyone who didn't make it, plus a lot of other interesting entries, as it's the last Challenger of the season. :dbana:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks, everyone. It did occur to me after I posted that it was the weekend. :palmf: No need to be annoyed (yet). Carry on.

I do find it interesting that the GPs aren't completed yet but Golden Spin asks for entries already. I suppose if a skater has not done well at their first one and already knows they won't make GPF, it's easy to enter. But if I was on the bubble of making GPF, entered Golden Spin, but ended up making GPF, it might get interesting. There's nothing specific in the Announcement about withdrawing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks, everyone. It did occur to me after I posted that it was the weekend. :palmf: No need to be annoyed (yet). Carry on.

I do find it interesting that the GPs aren't completed yet but Golden Spin asks for entries already. I suppose if a skater has not done well at their first one and already knows they won't make GPF, it's easy to enter. But if I was on the bubble of making GPF, entered Golden Spin, but ended up making GPF, it might get interesting. There's nothing specific in the Announcement about withdrawing.
It happens that skaters enter and withdraw if they make gpf.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Entries are finally out: https://results.isu.org/events/fsevent00117443.htm

Happy about a number of entries, but overall a bit disappointed by the absence of some skaters who could have really benefitted from another shot at improving their ISU SB/PB. Also, considering the usual amount of withdrawals, some of these fields seem a little small. 🤔
Let's not mention how Skate Canada has missed yet another opportunity to send women who need their TES minimums for home worlds, in case Maddie were unable to attend it... Why host Nationals if only one skater can go :)

I have given up a long time ago the hopes of seeing Conrad in an international competition in 2023. So that's it for the whining I will be making in this thread ;)