Alcohol purchases | Golden Skate

Alcohol purchases

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Apparently Boston and the state of MA have some strange rules for purchasing alcohol. Here is a link to the TD Garden policy on alcohol purchases: http://www.tdgarden.com/a-to-z-guide/

From what I've been reading the Garden and all surrounding bars/restaurants enforce these strange requirements. As you travel away from TD Garden to other areas, some of the requirements may be ignored.

Most of this wouldn't apply to me because I'm ancient :laugh:, but if you are under 40 you may need a lot of extra IDs.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
That policy isn't enforced at all at restaurants really. All you would be required to show is your ID saying you're over 21. Usually they won't even card you if you look over 30. At the Garden, I've been carded and asked for a backup, ie. debit card. It's really not that big of a deal, seeing as the vast majority of people have debit cards at least.

So you definitely don't need "a lot of extra IDs." Not sure what you read that even said you do.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is part of the policy:

To purchase alcoholic beverages, a patron must present a valid MA driver’s license, MA liquor ID, passport or military ID, which indicates the patron to be a least 21 years of age (MA ID cards, duplicate licenses, expired licenses, damaged licenses and driver’s licenses, which do not have photos, will not be accepted). Out of state licenses are acceptable only if the patron is at least 25 years of age and another form of identification (e.g., credit card) will be required if the patron is between 25 and 30 years of age. - See more at: http://www.tdgarden.com/td-garden-policies/#sthash.18UEzslT.dpuf

If you have a MA drivers license and credit card it seems you won't have a problem. For out of state people under 25 it looks like passport would be required. For an out of state couple under 30 and both are buying drinks it sounds like each person would need their out of state license and a credit card. When we are out with friends, I've noticed that both may need to show a license but only one of them uses a credit card.

I am older than dirt, CoyoteChris has admitted to being over 30 :laugh: and I've met Doris and Mr. Ski and I'm sure they are over 30, but I have no idea the age of other posters. It seems like some of the out of town fans may need to bring a passport. Also if we do have a get together it will probably be some place near TD Garden and be a bar/lounge so maybe they would need a passport at those establishments.

I never have my passport with me unless I am leaving the US, but if I was under 25 and attending this Nationals it seems I would need it to purchase a glass of beer or wine. This is the only state where I have noticed this type of requirement.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's New England, folks, and here's a little story.

The year my younger son turned 40, he went down to the Rite Aid in Bridgton, Maine, for some stuff. With some other things, he picked up a 6 pack of beer. The check out girl looked at his Massachusetts driver's license, and said no way he was 40, that a fake ID could be purchased for 10 bucks anywhere in Boston, and refused to sell him the beer. Son made a reasonable stink. The clerk got the manager, who looked at the driver's license, repeated the claim that anyone can easily purchase a fake ID in Boston, and refused to sell him the beer.

My angry son went back to his camp, and told his wife he couldn't buy the beer. She then went to the Rite Aid, picked up the beer, and went to the checkout. She asked the clerk, "Don't you want to see my ID?"

The clerk said, "No, you're old enough."

It's hard to say who was madder at Rite Aid, my son or his wife. :laugh:

Morals: 1.. This was once the land of the Puritans, and of the Temperance movement. In a lot of the New England states there are funny rules about liquor buying.
2. There are often different rules for outtastaters.
3. Possibly, if I believe the folks from Bridgton, extra ID can be purchased in Boston.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
How very interesting this thread is! Good for MA! Teen deaths from alchohol are only exceeded by teen deaths from texting while driving....
I assume the punishment of a dram shop not following the rules is much more severe than it is in WA.
BTW, I have heard that MA has one if not THE lowest incidents of drivers driving without insurance...about 1 percent. WA is closer to 9 percent. I wonder how they do it?

I am very fond of adult beverages and have brewed 500 gallons of my own beer until I retired and ran out of spare time. I love to have a beer with dinner...just one....when somebody checks my ID
I am thankful that maybe the program is stopping some teenager from drinking and driving and killing my wife or somebody's kid. I will bring my state patrol ID!
(Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?)

Yes, it is absolutely true.