Asian Winter Games 2017, 23 - 26 Feb | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Asian Winter Games 2017, 23 - 26 Feb

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I miss the whole competitions, so don't know who are the medalists at any competition yet. However considering the posts that I can see from this page, Han finally seemed to deliver! :yahoo:

By the way, would our Mods consider dividing this one into individual threads for each discipline? This thread becomes a pretty big chunk that people like me, belated comers are hard to find information.

Last edited:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I finally heard the K&C story during Han Yan's FS. I don't know if that is something I should celebrate or cry about.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
hello All:ghug:

unfortunately I was not able to watch live Men's FS, but so far re-watched some of performances - congratulations to all medalists, especially Yan Han who it appears had really redemption skate after 4CC disaster; he's got such great quality, carriage on ice and softness in his movement and it was a real shame to see him falter at 4CC FS, hope he'll rebound and build on that great, engaging FS at AWG. Shoma...well Mr. Piantao, I'd really re-consider going to Luxembourg, as much as I'd love to see You as much as I could, Id rather see You less frequently, but rested, fresh and more energetic, not mentioning fatigue of constant pressure and still adjusting all those quads into layouts. He looked TIRED and I just don't want to see any skater pushing himself so hard competitively...Performance was still solid and impactful, the program is really good and today it seemed like the program and music carried him through, not the opposite as it should be, but still a good effort nevertheless. Boyang - I mean, I grew to like his personality and appreciate how he blossomed performance-wise (and it's not only about egendary shimmies),he's just irresistible charmer, I can't deny his showman's appeal :laugh:, and such a cute pie, like Zijun Li! After disappointing beginning of the season he's climbing up and getting more confident, especially considering selling programes, performing instead of just skating them. It' s a huge step forward and I wish for him a good, high finish in Helsinki!

Kudos to Yan Han as I mentioned - for keeping his stuff together for TWO programs and not faltering under pressure! And so much love to Takahito - two strong performances, great to see him representing Japan so in style!

And let me roar:

YASSSSS PIRATE BRENDAN SAILING STRONGLY UNDER AUSSIE FLAG!!!!!:cheer:

I mean, how great was he?! And what 2 weeks he had so far! Everything is clicking finally together and I am raising my hopes really high now regarding Worlds. He and Dabin Choi are my heros from last 2 weeks - so much strenght, both physical and mental, amazing impression left. And whoever is going to Helsinki with Aussie flag, please wave it hard for Brendan on my behalf!!!

Last edited:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
hi:), do You mind saying more? I'm curious...

It's nothing special. Just our esteemed favorite commentator told the story of how the Kiss & Cry term came into being... about a million times during the competition. Since he ran out of things to talk about, he had to resort to repeating the same thing multiple times. It became a running joke.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Aww, 'congratulations' to JSF on the gold, they sure gave it their all. But nothing good comes out things like this, nothing good.

Well done Boyang, well done. Now practice those jumps because you nail them, they can't take away those points. A true gold here! And congratulations to Han Yan, finally a much better skate!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I just realized in the protocols that Han Yan was the only one of the medalists with no negative GOE and he even got two +2 on his 1A. :laugh:

:laugh: His Axels are the best!

Oh, and Mura had the highest PCS.

I was half dozing off during his skate, but not because of his skate. Every lucid moment I watched that performance, I thought "Wow, this is a great performance!" I felt that energy of an in-the-zone performance.

I thought Tom was going to talk the whole way through Kana and Chris' routine! :drama: But, I think somebody prodded him in the side and told him to shut up.

Thank goodness! Because that routine had narrative, and we missed the start of the story! :mad:

CaroLiza_fan

I believe he had to shut up because there were no competition related factoids to blab about and he knew absolutely nothing about figure skating itself to say anything about the performance.

liv

Record Breaker
I was really impressed watching Boyang. He really deserved to win. His 4lz is absolutely the best one out there right now, with *wow* height and good flow coming out. I felt there was also a real program behind it and he really tried to sell it. I adore Shoma and that program, but he was clearly exhausted and did not perform anywhere near what he is capable of. Surprised, but not really surprised, at how things ended up.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Finally, skate like a man", I heard Han Yan said at Kiss & Cry. Feel happy for him:clap:

He gave his coach quite a hug when he came off the ice. He looked really happy. Glad he had a skate he was proud of.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Congrats to all medalists! :)

Very classy attitude from Han and Boyang esp during the medal ceremony, despite their dissaopointment inside. :points:
The way Shoma was answering questions by J-media he also knows he wouldn't have won at this particular competition if the venue weren't in his home country. The kid seems to have lost a few pounds, paler and really exhausted. Crazy to go for 3S-1Lo-3F combo, which he never did even in practices, so late in the program. He's just lucky not to have himself injured here. :palmf: Rest well and eat well, boy.

What a redemptional/revival time for Kim Jinseo, Abzal Rakimgariev, and most of, all Han Yan! :rock:

I only watched the second half of Ladies FS and whole Men FS live on TV where Shizuka Arakawa and Takeshi Honda did the commentry, and it was very enjoyable the whole time for me! :) Both Shizuka and Takeshi tried to find something good in every skater regardless their low/high jump contents; by explaining 'Good spin!, well-centred, effortless change from a position to another thus he's done enough for level4', 'She's doing step sequences carefully and precisely', 'only double Lz here but on correct edge, good!', 'He may be out of gas by now, but tried to sell it till the end.' 'Good expressive choreo sequences, well-done presentation-wise!' Takeshi praised a number of skaters in the first half of Men FS saying, 'I've seen these skater from Day1, they've improved jump technique A LOT in the last couple of days while practicing with other elite skaters. Impressive.' I was surprised to see a couple of skaters in the first/second group went for a certain double jump-1Loop-double Salchow, and what I heard from Takeshi, this 3-combo for them was something they never couldn't/didn't do before but only learned during this AWG. Amaging! Really, those from smaller federations such as Indo, Indonesia surprised me a lot and put a smile on my face many times while watching. :yes: Pretty much pleasant Sunday afternoon for me thanks to all participating skaters from various Asian countries. :thank:

My personal MVP award... goes to Julian Yee of Malaysia! :points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nER_d-O2zB4 What a performer he is! :yahoo:

ETA: And big shouts-out to Brendan for two good skates back to back! His quads are, like Han Yan's, spectaculer when landed. Can I expect a thumbsup from karne now? ;) Seeing Tammy sensei so happy makes me happy.

Last edited:

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Han Yan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party2: He is such a lovely skater, and I'm so glad he landed his jumps today. His triple axels are amazing. :love: And it's also been a while since Han Yan has skated two solid programs back to back, so I'm super happy for him. :hap10:

Though there were a few disasters (namely, D10 :(), I felt like this was a pretty good competition. Congrats to the three medalists!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And let me roar:

YASSSSS PIRATE BRENDAN SAILING STRONGLY UNDER AUSSIE FLAG!!!!!:cheer:

I mean, how great was he?! And what 2 weeks he had so far! Everything is clicking finally together and I am raising my hopes really high now regarding Worlds. He and Dabin Choi are my heros from last 2 weeks - so much strenght, both physical and mental, amazing impression left. And whoever is going to Helsinki with Aussie flag, please wave it hard for Brendan on my behalf!!!

Me too! Me too! I am so proud of him!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I want to add a Hanee appreciation post.
Other than his popped 3A (WHYYYY??) these were the jumps I fell in love with when I first saw him. So high, and with such confident landings with great flow and speed afterwards. None of the other competitors came close to the quality of Han's jumps in the Free skate.
Mura brought some pretty huge jumps to the table as well, but was less rotated and tighter on the landings, but just a little.

When Han is able to combine those superb jumps with his equally superb skating skills, it's just magic for me. Loved Takahito too, he and Han were my favorites of the men's competition.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
If these were Asian games, why did they accept Australian skaters? Geographically speaking, Asia is more close to Europe, as they share the same piece of land...
I watched the skaters on youtube. Han was great, and so was Mura. Shoma was uncharacteristically full of mistakes, both in the SP and LP. I love him, and I hope it happened because he was very tired. Boyang should have won, but apart for the appalling judging, this was a great competition.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If these were Asian games, why did they accept Australian skaters? Geographically speaking, Asia is more close to Europe, as they share the same piece of land...
I watched the skaters on youtube. Han was great, and so was Mura. Shoma was uncharacteristically full of mistakes, both in the SP and LP. I love him, and I hope it happened because he was very tired. Boyang should have won, but apart for the appalling judging, this was a great competition.

We were invited guests, because we are close to Asia - Indonesia had skaters there, and they are just above us at a not great distance. For many situations and indeed in other sports we are often included with Asia - the Socceroos play in the Asian Cup, for example.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
We were invited guests, because we are close to Asia - Indonesia had skaters there, and they are just above us at a not great distance. For many situations and indeed in other sports we are often included with Asia - the Socceroos play in the Asian Cup, for example.

Thank you for your answer! I understand as Europeans have their own championship while Australia as a continent has only a few (2?) states with figure skating federations.

Last edited:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Does anyone have quick access to the SP and FS protocols for this? I can't find them in the main site and I don't remember in which page(s) they were posted.