Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin | Page 388 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
They did not skate well at nationals. They haven't been skating well all season long. At nationals, Ruslan didn't look ok at all compared to all the other male partners. Elena was undertrained and i still question how fit she was when you see how desperate she is with photoshop lately. Frida IMO could have been a good vehicle, but it didn't. It never fully developped. The SD wasn't what the judges wanted to see (Vienna Waltz, ugly and all) and their SD wasn't good in that matter. They couldn't have done another SD IMO because they are not made for Waltz, it's more in Sinitisna/Katsalapov backyard. They both need to work harder. They were underprepared compared to some other teams and are too new to rely on their experience. Their coaching situation doesn't help either because Kustarova can only teach people to bend forward instead of proper technique (look how long it took Zhulin to "fix" Bobrova). She just has no clues IMO and is wasting talent in her camp with all the other juniors. Platov is available and IMO could do wonders with them like fixing their technique for starters. Bobrova and Soloviev are boring but don't make stupid mistakes. Elena has a tendency to do them. As well as Nikita. That is something that Ruslan and Elena need to adress. They have a long road ahead of them considering they really do not match well and have extra work to do.
Frida was skated beautifully at Nationals and no one here has said mistakes haven't been made by them. Do you go to the rink everyday with them? If not girl you need to close that mouth. I am so sick of you talking about people's weight. You certainly are no fan of this team, so get out and stay out of the fan thread. All you do is cut them down so go do it in a general ice dance thread. And girl with all of the mouth running you do about other people's body type you better be perfection.

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
I disagree, it is good to hear all opinions even if you disagree with them.
Otherwise you are living in a bubble, in a fools paradise not accepting reality.
The reality is, Elena is a total star, but this year she hasn't shined for whatever reasons.
I am sure all MarieM wants is for Elena to knuckle down and return to her normal stardom, just because she is presenting the facts as they are doesn't mean she isn't a fan.

Although there is a place for constructive criticism in fan threads, very negative posts from those who obviously don't like the skater(s) belong in other sections of the forum.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I absolutely agree with the folks above. People who mostly or only come here to post negative things, like Mattieu and MarieM, should be stopped from spreading their negativity in this fanthread. I'm all for someone reporting people like these two, because I recall them coming here over and over again posting always in the same vein, and it's annoying. Especially priceless is the speculation about photoshopping and not training enough. Once you guys have something positive to post about IZ, you'll be welcome here, but at present, I'm just so sick of you two's posts, and it looks I'm definitely not the only one. And no, I don't believe IZ are perfect and it's all the judges fault, and yes, their programs did nothing for me this season, sadly. And I wish them all the best inspiration for the upcoming season, it will be hard for them to regain their position within the Russian team, but it will be quite within their capabilities. :thumbsup:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I absolutely agree with the folks above. People who mostly or only come here to post negative things, like Mattieu and MarieM, should be stopped from spreading their negativity in this fanthread. I'm all for someone reporting people like these two, because I recall them coming here over and over again posting always in the same vein, and it's annoying. Especially priceless is the speculation about photoshopping and not training enough. Once you guys have something positive to post about IZ, you'll be welcome here, but at present, I'm just so sick of you two's posts, and it looks I'm definitely not the only one. And no, I don't believe IZ are perfect and it's all the judges fault, and yes, their programs did nothing for me this season, sadly. And I wish them all the best inspiration for the upcoming season, it will be hard for them to regain their position within the Russian team, but it will be quite within their capabilities. :thumbsup:

I agree with surimi. I have also been underwhelmed by IZ's performance this year, although I think it is more of a program issue than talent or capability. That said, their programs not doing anything for me, doesn't mean it is OK to insinuate about people's weight, personal looks or personal choices. Stay away from the personal stuff.

MarieM's comment might have been better taken as a serious constructive criticism of IZ's performance had it not been clouded in what is clearly a snide remark about the skater.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
Well, let`s go back to the reason why most of us are posting in here and that`s of course our lovely Ruslena :biggrin:

I`m already moving on from this season and thinking about music they could use for next season.
This piece of music is beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZeSYsU0Uk

It`s lyrical, but also very intense.

Btw, the Russian Cup Final is from 16 to 20 February, we should soon find out if they will be there. Although a part of me can`t wait to see them skate again, I hope they won`t be there and just move on from this season.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I agree with surimi. I have also been underwhelmed by IZ's performance this year, although I think it is more of a program issue than talent or capability.

You guys just haven't watched enough times Frida especially the CoR version. Come on, their performance managed to move TAT and you say you dont feel it. Really :) If you give it a try several times you will notice how their moves change and take over every music change. There are so many details that I have noticed some of them only after I tried to make a video about Frida. After the twizzle when the music changes is my fave moment. I admit that the music and clothes are not my top choice but there are so many great moves and details that is hard to grasp all at once and to appreciate how difficult they are. But this is art on the ice and as every art you will truly understand only after you check all the details moves moods expression.

Marta25

Medalist
You guys just haven't watched enough times Frida especially the CoR version. Come on, their performance managed to move TAT and you say you dont feel it. Really :) If you give it a try several times you will notice how their moves change and take over every music change. There are so many details that I have noticed some of them only after I tried to make a video about Frida. After the twizzle when the music changes is my fave moment. I admit that the music and clothes are not my top choice but there are so many great moves and details that is hard to grasp all at once and to appreciate how difficult they are. But this is art on the ice and as every art you will truly understand only after you check all the details moves moods expression.

I also liked the version from CoR the most :) Even if the season didn`t go as planned, they at least showed that they can manage difficult choreography and transitions between the elements. Those are skills that aren`t very widespread in top ice dance, which is very sad, btw. They just have to package these skills in a way that will be rewarded by the judges. What I liked about Frida was, that it wasn`t just a stringing together of elements, but a true dance.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Well, let`s go back to the reason why most of us are posting in here and that`s of course our lovely Ruslena :biggrin:

I`m already moving on from this season and thinking about music they could use for next season.
This piece of music is beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZeSYsU0Uk

It`s lyrical, but also very intense.

Btw, the Russian Cup Final is from 16 to 20 February, we should soon find out if they will be there. Although a part of me can`t wait to see them skate again, I hope they won`t be there and just move on from this season.

I like the song. It somehow reminds me of the haunting shadow song of S/K. It is really intense, dark and beautiful but I am not sure whether it will turn out to be a good for dance. Maybe with some change in the melody it will become a decent heart wrenching routine. It will be better accepted by the judges especially if there is a drama, a lot of drama and there will be no complains that the dance is not understand. But I still prefer something more fast and dynamic and fierce or epic or funny for Ruslena :). Recently I cant stand the love or drama programs.

Maybe some classics? Judges really like classics recently. I dont know which classic is not overused and good for ice dance. Something more dancy like Hungarian dance 5 or Hungarian Rhapsody 2 but not that old (or something that is not called Hungarian, I guess this is my mood today) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9LvC9WkkQ

I also want to see Ruslena as soon as possible. Moreover if they put some new clothes and dance free and enjoy themselves. Please Ruslan put some leather trousers for Alba and me. But on the other side I prefer to forget this selfish wanting to see them again and prefer for them to have rest and work on the new season and forget the whole season joke. So whatever their decidion going or not to Cup of Russia I will be happy.

Somehow I think that they will participate because they are really disciplined and took serious every possible performance. Not like some royal couples that always skip test events and everything less than GP :)

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Well, let`s go back to the reason why most of us are posting in here and that`s of course our lovely Ruslena :biggrin: I`m already moving on from this season and thinking about music they could use for next season. This piece of music is beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZeSYsU0Uk It`s lyrical, but also very intense. Btw, the Russian Cup Final is from 16 to 20 February, we should soon find out if they will be there. Although a part of me can`t wait to see them skate again, I hope they won`t be there and just move on from this season.

Definitely and interesting piece. I like it. I still feel they should go the war horse route. They have the presence to skate to big music and they have the speed. I think they are still looking for their artistic style. And congrats to them for being top 10 in the World (#10) in the world rankings!

bramweld

Record Breaker
Definitely and interesting piece. I like it. I still feel they should go the war horse route. They have the presence to skate to big music and they have the speed. I think they are still looking for their artistic style. And congrats to them for being top 10 in the World (#10) in the world rankings!

Yeah Ruslena!!

Duality

On the Ice
Frida was skated beautifully at Nationals and no one here has said mistakes haven't been made by them. Do you go to the rink everyday with them? If not girl you need to close that mouth. I am so sick of you talking about people's weight. You certainly are no fan of this team, so get out and stay out of the fan thread. All you do is cut them down so go do it in a general ice dance thread. And girl with all of the mouth running you do about other people's body type you better be perfection.

This. Also I cannot agree that IZ aren't made for waltz while SK are. IZ are made for everything I guess.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
This. Also I cannot agree that IZ aren't made for waltz while SK are. IZ are made for everything I guess.

And there is nothing wrong with that. I feel like lots of teams have struggled with it, especially with all the changes done (W/P and C/B). We live and we learn. Oh and Ruslena's 2 year anniversary as a team is coming up! Ya know because people seem to forget that they have been together for 2 seconds....

Tex

On the Ice
I don't think they necessarily need to go the warhorse route. This season, teams with modern and lyrical FDs are being scored well, and the music from those FDs haven't been used much or at all before in ice dance. They could look at music that judges have received well and look for other music from that composer. For instance, Abel Korzeniowski's music has been use from the scores to the movie W.E. (Music used for FD of Paul/Islam and SD for P/C this season) and Romeo and Juliet for (FD for Hawayek and Baker), so why note the gothic music from Penny Dreadful (l'm desperate for them to use that music and doing something something gothic inspired). I think the failures of last seasons wasn't the music choices, but a combination of packaging (costumes/styling), choreography, and providing a clear concept to the judges, but I loved their programs this season.

For some reason, I am so gung-ho on them doing something gothic and haunting like the score to Crimson Peak http://youtu.be/jUKCvxqKfzU

What about a Sherlock FD with Elena as Irene Adler and Ruslan as Sherlock? They can use the music from the TV show or movies. http://youtu.be/B50hcK015Ok

If they did an Edward Scissor hands program, then Ruslan could were some leather pants:) they could use the Matthew Bourne ballet as inspiration http://youtu.be/l_LgxmUKIFQ http://youtu.be/Xhoymd67Zvs

Oh course, I am still campaigning for Penny Dreadful.
http://youtu.be/gbiIJhF-GwY
http://youtu.be/D8F2vUIVI9s

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
This. Also I cannot agree that IZ aren't made for waltz while SK are.

I am of the same mind on this, IZ would IMO be great with a more classical waltz, and could sell even the overplayed Blue Danube and give it a similar fresh, memorable look as they gave Carmen.

I still feel they should go the war horse route. They have the presence to skate to big music and they have the speed.

Seconded. I'm sure the audience and judges alike would love it.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I really like the Sherlock Holmes idea. I think something suspenseful might be a nice change of gear for them.

uhh

Medalist
The schedule for the Russian Cup Final is published: Short Dance on 16th Feb, Free Dance on 17th. No entry list out yet.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I don't think they necessarily need to go the warhorse route. This season, teams with modern and lyrical FDs are being scored well, and the music from those FDs haven't been used much or at all before in ice dance. They could look at music that judges have received well and look for other music from that composer. For instance, Abel Korzeniowski's music has been use from the scores to the movie W.E. (Music used for FD of Paul/Islam and SD for P/C this season) and Romeo and Juliet for (FD for Hawayek and Baker), so why note the gothic music from Penny Dreadful (l'm desperate for them to use that music and doing something something gothic inspired). I think the failures of last seasons wasn't the music choices, but a combination of packaging (costumes/styling), choreography, and providing a clear concept to the judges, but I loved their programs this season. For some reason, I am so gung-ho on them doing something gothic and haunting like the score to Crimson Peak http://youtu.be/jUKCvxqKfzU What about a Sherlock FD with Elena as Irene Adler and Ruslan as Sherlock? They can use the music from the TV show or movies. http://youtu.be/B50hcK015Ok If they did an Edward Scissor hands program, then Ruslan could were some leather pants:) they could use the Matthew Bourne ballet as inspiration http://youtu.be/l_LgxmUKIFQ http://youtu.be/Xhoymd67Zvs Oh course, I am still campaigning for Penny Dreadful. http://youtu.be/gbiIJhF-GwY http://youtu.be/D8F2vUIVI9s

I love Edward Scissor hands!!!

Marta25

Medalist

As long as they don`t use POTO, I`m fine with this idea :biggrin: