Evgenia Medvedeva's 3S-3T-3T-3T | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva's 3S-3T-3T-3T

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well I don't remember ever witnessing it - I just remember that I read it somewhere on various occasions.

I did witness Irina Slutskaya land a 3-3-3-in Vancouver in 2001. She did it during the warm up but, I think it was the qualifying Warm Up. I also saw Michelle Kwan land a triple Sal-Triple Loop Combo during the final flight warm up but, she didn't included it when she competed.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Can I give her +GOE for NOT throwing one arm up in the air on ANY of those 4 jumps? LOL!

Bartek

On the Ice
I did witness Irina Slutskaya land a 3-3-3-in Vancouver in 2001. She did it during the warm up but, I think it was the qualifying Warm Up. I also saw Michelle Kwan land a triple Sal-Triple Loop Combo during the final flight warm up but, she didn't included it when she competed.

What was this Slutskaya's 3-3-3 that you witnessed? 3S-3Lo-3T?

samm22

On the Ice
Props to her for being able to do this :clap:

However, her toe technique seems weird to me...it's almost like she spins of the toe pick, and there seems to be a decent amount of pre-rotation before her blade actually leaves the ice. Just my opinion though.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Props to her for being able to do this :clap:

However, her toe technique seems weird to me...it's almost like she spins of the toe pick, and there seems to be a decent amount of pre-rotation before her blade actually leaves the ice. Just my opinion though.

I think they are all guilty.
https://youtu.be/_z2Dk46VCjA

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh gosh. You'd think coaches would try to instill better jump technique...hopefully they're doing so. Evgenia and Satoko's seemed especially spin-like off the toepick, Anna's was a little less so IMO.

I ranked Satoko and Ashley as the worst at around 270 on the toe pick :shocked: Ashley even picked and spun weird on the flip. I thought Zhenia was obviously noticeable but not like Ashley and Satoko who both seem to spin on the pick and UR to some degree. Pogo's looked good.

Last edited:
I think that's just how the jump is performed. A lot of spinning on the ice, some more in the air.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember when Gracie was doing 3-3-3's in practice and uploading the video's on Youtube back in late 2011 when she was a mostly unknown skater. Needless to say she never planned on doing them in competition though. I have to say watching those 3-3-3's Gracie did in practice at the same age Evgenia is now she had more speed and power going into her jumps and unlike Med was already mostly past her growth spurts and had filled out and didn't have those skinny leg's that Med has.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna had arguably some of the best technique on her 3/3, with the triple toe having very little pre-rotation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxZsB3QUU60

Her legs made it able for her to reach out really wide on the 3t with the toe pick. Her body's shape is one that that most ladies don't have and those legs gave her a jump style all her own. Not a flawless technique but dear god....the consistency.

seabm7

Final Flight
Her legs made it able for her to reach out really wide on the 3t with the toe pick. Her body's shape is one that that most ladies don't have and those legs gave her a jump style all her own. Not a flawless technique but dear god....the consistency.

That is an interesting observation. I haven't thought about it yet, even though I was aware of her long legs. I simply thought her slim structure gave her advantages. A lot of lady skaters have long legs, but not her consistency. I wonder what would be the difference between her and them.

Krislite

Medalist

That triple Toe Loop got off the ice after a mere 90 degree pre-rotation, unlike the ladies at 2016 worlds with 180-270+ degrees of pre-rotation on the toe-pick. If that's not a flawless triple-toe, what is?

180+ degree of pre-rotation may be "typical" for Toe Loop even among the current top ladies, but it shouldn't be excused as "that's just how it is" or overlooked as "OK" technique.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
180+ degree of pre-rotation may be "typical" for Toe Loop even among the current top ladies, but it shouldn't be excused as "that's just how it is" or overlooked as "OK" technique.
But the rules are how they are. No slow-mo replays for jump take-offs. The ISU wants the skaters to do those 3-3's. Times are changing. Technique is changing. Skating should be exciting to watch. Like it or not, this isn't going to change. Certainly not close to the next Olympics.
Medvedeva's jumps would be really beautiful if she wouldn't jump so much witch her arms. That's why I like it when she's doing a tano or rippon variation, because it disguises it.

Weathergal

Medalist
That is an interesting observation. I haven't thought about it yet, even though I was aware of her long legs. I simply thought her slim structure gave her advantages. A lot of lady skaters have long legs, but not her consistency. I wonder what would be the difference between her and them.

Part of the difference has to be determination and practice, practice, practice. She was known for training very hard.