Polina Edmunds Withdraws from Worlds | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds Withdraws from Worlds

Krunchii

Record Breaker
"We pushed each other, but it was a disappointment to me because it was clear the short program didn't really matter," said Edmunds, who was first after the short routine. "If you're going to just judge on the long why have two programs then?"

What kind of bitterness is this? Who said they judged only based on long? Last time I checked they determine the final standings by the combined score, not just the long.

randomfan

Record Breaker
This is devastating news...so that injury will make doing a lutz or flip be painful, sounds really serious. I hope that she recovers soon and quickly. Though I'm not really a fan of Polina, I'm sad to not see her at Worlds in Boston, especially since she already did What's up World Team and talked about how exciting it is to be at a home-country Worlds. Rest well, Polina and come back strong next season!

However, I am beyond excited for Mirai. She talked about how great it would be to go to a second Worlds soon, and she gets her wish this season! The Boston audience loves her (#2014 U.S. Nationals) and there are many fans across the world (including me! :biggrin:) who love her as well. This is a great opportunity.

frida80

Record Breaker
What kind of bitterness is this? Who said they judged only based on long? Last time I checked they determine the final standings by the combined score, not just the long.

I'm glad someone noticed this. While I will say that Gracie's short score was inflated, she clearly won that long by a long shot. I wish someone would explain to Polina she needs a more mature program with more dynamics. Not just a few people have complained about her packaging.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Respect for Polina withdrawing instead of skating injuried. The decision to withdraw from Worlds in the USA must have been a very difficult decision.

I am excited that Mirai gets to go to Worlds.

I am disappointed for for Polina and very pleased that Mirai is our alternate. It is smart for Polina and her team to realize that with her injury, she has less scoring potential than Mirai. Mirai gives us the better shot to retain 3 spots in case of another meltdown or injury (heaven forbid If Ashley is not healthy). It is the smart thing for the team as a whole. It is lovely that Mirai gets to continue her season at Worlds since she is in such a good place right now. Go USA!

Rissa

Record Breaker
I've been wondering about one thing: isn't a week's notice too short to prepare for worlds? Obviously Mirai was in a good shape at 4CC but it's been over a month.

brightphoton

Medalist
I'm glad someone noticed this. While I will say that Gracie's short score was inflated, she clearly won that long by a long shot. I wish someone would explain to Polina she needs a more mature program with more dynamics. Not just a few people have complained about her packaging.

I don't think comments are very convincing. "Packaging" So Polina needs better costumes and perhaps plastic surgery to be as cute as Gracie to get a higher score than Gracie?

Remember that Polina skated an awesome short and Gracie poped? doubled? a jump

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I've been wondering about one thing: isn't a week's notice too short to prepare for worlds? Obviously Mirai was in a good shape at 4CC but it's been over a month.
There was a long interview with Mirai done by TSL and she said she is training in case she will need to go to Worlds. So I'm sure she will take this chance and performs good at Worlds. I believe she was marvellous at 4CC and could repeat her success at Worlds. By success I mean two great performances and if she medalls I would be happy for her.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Just happy to see Mirai one more time this season on the competition ice, because she dosen't give it up.
Wishing Polina's full recovery toward the next season.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Wish Polina fast and full recovery, and hope, that it's not stress fracture or march fracture... And good luck to Mirai - she has quite nice programs this season and was magnificient at 4CC.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wonder how many people who are skeptical of the boot issue even skate or have skated at any competitive level, much less an elite level.
As someone who has helped the ice mums buying new boots for their kids, I can tell you it's hella difficult. :angry2: Why those boots don't fit? And even when they fit they hurt. And they're not cheap.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Is this a joke?? It wouldn't surprise you if Mirai beat Gracie at Worlds? I think you'd be the only on the planet who wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, it's not she beat her at an international competition last month or anything like that! :palmf:

Well, the b-man is almost exclusively a Mirai fan, and I am ecstatic. Unfortunately, I didn't anticipate her being in Boston, and didn't buy tickets. Now for a last minute scramble for leftover seats and hotels.

A real fan would have bought tickets just in case. :biggrin:

There was a long interview with Mirai done by TSL and she said she is training in case she will need to go to Worlds. So I'm sure she will take this chance and performs good at Worlds.

I'd like to think so...but it has to be awfully tough to spend a month seriously practicing for an event that you have maybe a 10% chance of participating in.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tough break for Polina! :cry: May she have a complete & speedy recovery! All the best to Mirai!

da96103

Record Breaker
I thought nothing can surpass my excitement for Yuzu's 4Lo. But Mirai at the world's just did that! Go Mirai.

Sorry for Polina but at least she was smarter and more honest than Flatt.

da96103

Record Breaker
After 5 minutes of being happy, I suddenly realized Scarlett has been replaced by a badly music-cut Daisy Buchanan. :palmf:

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. (Kind of crazy how it's so common for US women to do that lol) She's very young and will surely have another chance at Worlds. The last thing she needs is a bad outing combined with a chance to worsen an injury.

And getting fined by USFS for hiding an injury.

dreamsk8

On the Ice
I'm sorry for Polina hope she has a fast recovery!
But Huge chance for Miria!!
She needs to just go all out skate like there is no tomorrow!!!
:hap10:

mermaid

On the Ice
Country
Belarus
So excited to see Mirai's free program at Worlds 2016 and one more time this season!
I just love it :love:
Already thought I wouldn't see it again.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I feel sorry for Polina, but I'm also happy for Mirai.
I kind of hope that Polina is going to keep her SP for next season. Then she could put more time and effort into a brand new stylish FS program. I'd like to see her skate to something modern with abstract choreography.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Every cloud has a Silver lining, GO Mirai!

Get well soon Polina.