Predictions For Placings at the Grand Prix Events? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Predictions For Placings at the Grand Prix Events?

lbc2138

On the Ice
My prediction for men events top:

Skate America

1. Machida
2. Gachinski
3. Brown
4. Ten
5. Abott

Skate Canada

1. Fernandez
2. Reynolds
3. Kozuka
4. Menshov
5. Aaron

Cup of China

1. Hanyu
2. Kovtun
3. Han Yan
4. Farris
5. Nguyen

Rostelecom Cup

1. Fernandez
2. Gachinski
3. Brown
4. Kozuka
5. Brzezina

Trophee Bompard

1. Kovtun
2. Ten
3. Pitkeev
4. Machida
5. Han Yan

NHK

1. Hanyu
2. Reynolds
3. Farris
4. Abott
5. Liebers

Wow, it's like we're the same person. I don't want to even touch the women's event...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
SKATE AMERICA
1. Radionova
2. Gold
3. Tuktamysheva (although I'm really hoping Mae sneaks in for bronze!)

SKATE CANADA
1. Pogorilaya
2. Wagner (I'm hoping she wins though to silence the haters who said she'll never win a GP again)
3. Miyahara (although I'm hoping it'll be Osmond)

CUP OF CHINA
1. Edmunds (I think I'm the only one predicting Edmunds to win, but Edmunds has been strong so far and I think the "e" calls against Julia will be a factor)
2. Lipnitskaya
3. Cain (I know, a bit of a crazy prediction, with Murakami/Tukt being a more obvious bronze, but I think Cain will have a breakout season)

ROSTELECOM
1. Pogorilaya
2. Sotnikova (as much as I think the Russian fed will want Sot to get the win, I think Pogorilaya will be cleaner and better prepared)
3. Park

TEB
1. Lipnitskaia (again, I think the "e" calls will put her only slightly ahead of a probably clean Radionova... she has a huge PCS advantage that should hold her up)
2. Radionova
3. Wagner

NHK
1. Edmunds
2. Gold
3. Sotnikova (I could picture Murakami/Miyahara taking bronze or even silver though, given there's no Mao so they will likely get some leniency on the UR calls on home ice)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
SKATE AMERICA
1. Machida
2. Brown
3. Ten
(I don't get the Gachinski predictions, but hopefully Artur will have a comeback season... I just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he will... then again, Ten tends to bomb on the GP, so Gachinski could sneak in for a medal)

SKATE CANADA
1. Fernandez
2. Kozuka
3. Reynolds (although I'm hoping Menshov gets a medal!)

CUP OF CHINA
1. Hanyu
2. Kovtun
3. Yan

ROSTELECOM
1. Fernandez
2. Brown
3. Voronov

TEB
1. Kovtun
2. Machida
3. Ten

NHK
1. Hanyu
2. Reynolds
3. Voronov

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow, there really is no love for Max in this thread.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I think if the judges gave him more love people would have faith in him. If he has any medal shot it could be a bronze at SC or COR but I think Reynolds and Voronov will benefit from home ice.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
CSG, why do you think the new edge rules will make much of a difference for Yulia? She'll get ! at worst since her lutz is just an unclear edge, not a huge flutz.

I put him in for a silver at Skate Canada and a bronze at Cup of Russia... basically exactly where you had him, funny enough. :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

This seems to be a trend I have been noticing. . . there is like this sad collective unconscious decision of everyone to move on from Max. . .

I actually am rather looking forward to him this year. I think Footloose is a great choice for him, and I also an example of acceptable use of lyrics. Gladiator is also a good choice for him. . . but I am hoping the talking part is done tastefully.

I think Max may have had too much success too soon, he did not have time to build loyal fans. Looking at the other men around this year (for USA at least) he is on the newer side of them, many have been around for awhile. Max, won the national title before making his grand prix debut.

Alba

Record Breaker
CUP OF CHINA
1. Edmunds (I think I'm the only one predicting Edmunds to win, but Edmunds has been strong so far and I think the "e" calls against Julia will be a factor)
2. Lipnitskaya
3. Cain (I know, a bit of a crazy prediction, with Murakami/Tukt being a more obvious bronze, but I think Cain will have a breakout season)

TEB
1. Lipnitskaia (again, I think the "e" calls will put her only slightly ahead of a probably clean Radionova... she has a huge PCS advantage that should hold her up)
2. Radionova
3. Wagner

I agree with Sandpiper, she'll get ! at worst, if she get a call at all.
As we saw with Juniours, Serafima in Slovenia didn't had any call while Medvedeva in France did.
So, as usual, it will depend very much from the tech panel.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I will add my love: Max Aaron always will have my full support. :yes: Go, Max! I am a loyal fan.

(Have not made any predictions -- about anyone -- only b/c they are not my thing.)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I picked Max for Skate Canada, too. But I had to go with the Russian boys for COR.
I think Max stands a pretty good chance of beating Voronov, even in Russia (I've nothing against Voronov, btw). The real question is whether he'll get past Artur and Jason. I went with Max because if he gets all his jumps, I can see him overcoming Jason in COR because Jason relies more on PCS. Or maybe Jason will knock it out of the park and Artur will wind up off the podium. For some reason, I just see Max overcoming one of them but losing to the other, thus 3rd place.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
CSG, why do you think the new edge rules will make much of a difference for Yulia? She'll get ! at worst since her lutz is just an unclear edge, not a huge flutz.

I put him in for a silver at Skate Canada and a bronze at Cup of Russia... basically exactly where you had him, funny enough. :)

It depends on the panel really. I think sometimes her lutz is very obviously a flutz and other times her edge is unclear. I can't remember ever seeing a definitive lutz from her, so that leads me to think that she will be called "!" at best (which in itself loses her a couple points on GOE), or "e" if the tech spec is particularly astringent. I think Julia is a lovely skater, but I don't buy any of this "she's got a borderline edge". She doesn't flutz as badly as other flutzers, but she's still flutzing. I also think like Gold's 2A, she's shown vulnerability on her 3S (and even makes occasional errors on her loop and flip). When she's on, she's brilliant, but it's hard to say if she can keep up her consistency and avoid edge calls. At the very least, she will lose a couple points on GOE, if not get a 30% deduction and a GOE deduction (certainly more likely when she's not on home ice). I predict halfway through the season, her jump layout will be changed around. If she gets nailed for edge call on her lutz, she might end up doing a 3T+3T in her SP, and only one lutz in her LP. At least for her it's iffy, so it's worth the risk, versus others who will always get a "e" call on their lutz and are probably practicing their salchows and loops a lot more.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The point of ! vs. e is to distinguish between "slight flutz" and "huge flutz." Giving Yulia e would defeat the point of this. It's possible some particular tech panels would give her e to kill her marks and hold up their favourites, hence the problem with the ! vs. e thing in the first place. But I don't think it's very probable, considering Yulia's reputation edge, PCS, and consistency.

Alba

Record Breaker
The point of ! vs. e is to distinguish between "slight flutz" and "huge flutz." Giving Yulia e would defeat the point of this. It's possible some particular tech panels would give her e to kill her marks and hold up their favourites, hence the problem with the ! vs. e thing in the first place. But I don't think it's very probable, considering Yulia's reputation edge, PCS, and consistency.

I might be wrong, but my feeling is the consistency is the key.
My impression is that if you're consistent the panel do tend to be lenient with you.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The point of ! vs. e is to distinguish between "slight flutz" and "huge flutz."

I'm pretty sure the "slight flutz" is still an e. The ! I guess is more for cases of skaters taking of from a flat edge.
The likeliest thing to happen though, is that tech panels will just be completely inconsistent with this. Julia might be hit with e too, but so many skaters will be, I don't think it slims down any of her chances.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keep up with the predictions! I'm so happy people like this thread!!! Like every time I get a reply I get excited!

GF2445

Record Breaker
My Predictions
Since my favourite discipline is Ice Dance, I'll share them.
What makes this years predictions so hard is I don't know the Russian Partner Swap is going to affect everything? Are they going to be fantastic off the block or have a slow start. Have no idea.

Skate America- Competitive Top Three
1. Madison Chock & Evan Bates USA
2. Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev RUS
3. Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani USA

Skate Canada- WeaverPoje Domination
1. Kaitlyn Weaver & Andre Poje CAN
2. Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue USA
3. Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier CAN

Cup of China Could be competitive.
1. Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte ITA
2. Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani USA
3. Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin RUS

Cup of Russia This is going to be a real battle. GPF spots could be made or broken here. It's going to be like a skating Cold War.
2. Penny Coomes & Nicholas Buckland GBR
3. Victoria Sinitsina & Nikita Katsalapov RUS

Trophee Eric Bompard Not in Paris. RUS vs. ITA
3. Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue USA

NHK Trophy Though not the most competitive event this season, this is going to be tight. It could maybe cause an upset heading to the GPF!
1. Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje CAN

GPF Predictions
1. Weaver Poje
2. Cappellini Lanotte
3. Chock Bates
4. Bobrova Soloviev
5. Coomes Buckland
6. AGAIN!! Shibutanis or Hubbell Donohue

slider11

Medalist
I'm on board with Weaver and Poje shining this year. Would ove to see the Shibs and Gilles and Poirier also do well. The Russian switcher-roo teams are the unknown. I still can't get over they split!

Skategmt

On the Ice
I'm on board with Weaver and Poje shining this year. Would ove to see the Shibs and Gilles and Poirier also do well. The Russian switcher-roo teams are the unknown. I still can't get over they split!

When I watch Ilinykh and Katsalapov skate, all of my attention is to Elena. Personally, I think Nikita doesn't have the charisma/ talent that other male ice dancers have (like Moir, White, ect) that make you watch them as well as their female partners. I think that Elena in a way "carried" Nikita with her personality. This makes believe that Sinistina and Katsalapov won't be as good this year as Ilinykh and her partner
( sorry can't spell his name).

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
My Predictions
Since my favourite discipline is Ice Dance, I'll share them.
What makes this years predictions so hard is I don't know the Russian Partner Swap is going to affect everything? Are they going to be fantastic off the block or have a slow start. Have no idea.

Skate America- Competitive Top Three
3. Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani USA

Skate Canada- WeaverPoje Domination
1. Kaitlyn Weaver & Andre Poje CAN
2. Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue USA
3. Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier CAN

Cup of China Could be competitive.
2. Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani USA
3. Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin RUS

Cup of Russia This is going to be a real battle. GPF spots could be made or broken here. It's going to be like a skating Cold War.

Trophee Eric Bompard Not in Paris. RUS vs. ITA
3. Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue USA

NHK Trophy Though not the most competitive event this season, this is going to be tight. It could maybe cause an upset heading to the GPF!
1. Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje CAN

GPF Predictions
1. Weaver Poje
2. Cappellini Lanotte
3. Chock Bates
4. Bobrova Soloviev
5. Coomes Buckland
6. AGAIN!! Shibutanis or Hubbell Donohue

2 wins for Chock/Bates? Interesting... not gonna happen tho. But I agree with your SC, CoC and TEB top 3. Don't you think H/B have probably something to say too?