What would you wish for Eteri Tutberidze to represent the United States ? Just for fun ! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What would you wish for Eteri Tutberidze to represent the United States ? Just for fun !

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
If that is the case then it screams that the ISU is far more of a corrupt organization than anyone might've imagined to publicly state you are banning a group of athletes for 1 reason but behind closed doors collude that its actually for something else....hello massive lawsuit

If your source has any integrity they would publicly disclose the information to CAS.
It cannot be a lawsuit, as the real reason is difficult to prove (after all, by all records and documents it is because of the war as far as I know).

It is also entirely possible if not likely that the russian fed didn't want it publicly known that the doping ban was in action (to save face), although this is just speculation on my path. (After all it looks much better to the public to be banned for this - similar to tennis "injuries" helping athletes save face).

And even if my source had proof, and he was correct in that it is because of doping, and Russia fed didn't know the reason (which I find likely) - in addition to above, the source does not have integrity.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Actually I think it is.

Everything about this screams silent doping ban, and I also have this on good authority from one of the federations. The source told me that they are being banned for doping, and war is more of a convenient excuse than anything. (Of course ISU could never admit that)

It's because of the Russian-Ukraine war.

It's not only Sambo-70 athletes who are being denied competitions. Sambo-70 isn't Russia.

Heck, Sambo-70 doesn't even have substantial representation across all 4 disciplines. You think the ISU would put a blanket ban on all 4 disciplines because of Sambo-70 doping issues?

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
It's because of the Russian-Ukraine war.

It's not only Sambo-70 athletes who are being denied competitions. Sambo-70 isn't Russia.

Heck, Sambo-70 doesn't even have substantial representation across all 4 disciplines. You think the ISU would put a blanket ban on all 4 disciplines because of Sambo-70 doping issues?
Because of Russian doping testing being poor/not reporting correctly/hiding doping/not correct procedural investigating into doping, not because of Sambo-70 case.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Because of Russian doping testing being poor/not reporting correctly/hiding doping/not correct procedural investigating into doping, not because of Sambo-70 case.

Uh... if that were the case, and they were cracking down on systemic doping they wouldn't bar Russian athletes from competing.... they would just make them compete under a different moniker as has been done in the past. e.g. IAFRWADND (International Athletes From Russia Who Are Definitely Not Doping) or whatever acronym seems to be the flavour of the moment).

And Belarussians aren't (recently) known for systemic doping so why rope them into the ban (if not because of the war)?

Amei

Record Breaker
It cannot be a lawsuit, as the real reason is difficult to prove (after all, by all records and documents it is because of the war as far as I know).

It is also entirely possible if not likely that the russian fed didn't want it publicly known that the doping ban was in action (to save face), although this is just speculation on my path. (After all it looks much better to the public to be banned for this - similar to tennis "injuries" helping athletes save face).

And even if my source had proof, and he was correct in that it is because of doping, and Russia fed didn't know the reason (which I find likely) - in addition to above, the source does not have integrity.

The ISU has stated the reason not the Russian Fed, so Russian Fed didn't propagate a fake reason for public face and if it the Russian fed falsely stated the reason, the ISU should be publicly correcting the record and has no reason to "play along" with the Russian Fed.

It sounds like your source is basically saying they are blaming the ban for x because the ISU can't legally prove what they really want to ban them on

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Belarus is also banned from international events too -- are there even any Belarusian skaters at Sambo-70... so why bar them from competing if this is actually about silent doping? Are Belarusian skaters just collateral to keep up the charade of this being about a war and not actually a conspiracy aimed at Sambo-70?

Moreover, Morisi Kvitelashvili and Nika Egadze are still allowed to compete. Do you not think the ISU would have barred them from competing if it were a doping ban across Sambo-70 skaters?

(I had edited above before you might have seen this point kolyadafan...)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Belarus is also banned from international events too -- are there even any Belarusian skaters at Sambo-70... so why bar them from competing if this is actually about silent doping? Are Belarusian skaters just collateral to keep up the charade of this being about a war and not actually a conspiracy aimed at Sambo-70?

Moreover, Morisi Kvitelashvili and Nika Egadze are still allowed to compete. Do you not think the ISU would have barred them from competing if it were a doping ban across Sambo-70 skaters?

(I had edited above before you might have seen this point kolyadafan...)
I can't comment on Belarusian skaters, but you raise a good point, next time I see them I'll ask about that. (Although that is unlikely until next year).

From what I was told before, it was more a point of Russian doping cover-up. (And the fact is that a neutral flag didn't make any difference, and no punishment prior to that was effective to answer above posts that also quoted my post in reguards to action taken). It's not in reguards to doping within Sambo-70, but rather cover-up on doping tests by the federation. It could be, that because of the official reason being war they'd have to ban Belarusian skaters (unfairly in this case). There may well be a different reason.

To answer other questions, I was theorised on Rus fed being told - often in the world of tennis and cycling, athletes are banned and told privately bur publicly different reasons are given. This is for the benefit of those athletes (and if this is the case with Russia, then would be to the benefit of Russia to save face). If this is the case, it wouldn't be something anybody would know. That is the principal of silent bans.

As I said, whilst I trust my source I have not cross verified sources.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think that after the doping case, while ROC was already scrutinized, the war was just what tipped it all over. The official reason remains the war, and thus, Belarus is also banned... but the ban is one stone for two birds (doping+ war) kinda deal IMHO. Looking at Athletics fed my opinion.

Now for Eteri : i don't wish her any harm. I mean any more harm she could extend to the children she's responsible for.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I can't comment on Belarusian skaters, but you raise a good point, next time I see them I'll ask about that. (Although that is unlikely until next year).

From what I was told before, it was more a point of Russian doping cover-up. (And the fact is that a neutral flag didn't make any difference, and no punishment prior to that was effective to answer above posts that also quoted my post in reguards to action taken). It's not in reguards to doping within Sambo-70, but rather cover-up on doping tests by the federation. It could be, that because of the official reason being war they'd have to ban Belarusian skaters (unfairly in this case). There may well be a different reason.

To answer other questions, I was theorised on Rus fed being told - often in the world of tennis and cycling, athletes are banned and told privately bur publicly different reasons are given. This is for the benefit of those athletes (and if this is the case with Russia, then would be to the benefit of Russia to save face). If this is the case, it wouldn't be something anybody would know. That is the principal of silent bans.

As I said, whilst I trust my source I have not cross verified sources.
Ah okay, thank you for clarifying.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think that after the doping case, while ROC was already scrutinized, the war was just what tipped it all over. The official reason remains the war, and thus, Belarus is also banned... but the ban is one stone for two birds (doping+ war) kinda deal IMHO. Looking at Athletics fed my opinion.

Now for Eteri : i don't wish her any harm. I mean any more harm she could extend to the children she's responsible for.

Yeah while the war is what barred athletes from competing, I wish Russia would use this moratorium of their athletes competing internationally to address systemic doping within its sports (not just figure skating) - although I'm not holding my breath on that one. If Russia were still allowed to compete, they would be medal-driven and thus doping would be more rampant. Now that their athletes can't garner hardware, maybe they can focus on clean sport (....cue "LOL, that's a good one! Tell us another!!" :laugh: )

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ A lot of comments here paint ET as some kind of monster.

Figure skating is a brutal sport. Injuries happen all the time. Two top tier skaters were injuried last season. Tennell and Kihira. They were not Eteri skaters.

Russian coaches may seem harsh. But the 'harshness' is happening all over the world. That's the reality of any elite sport today.

Amei

Record Breaker

Figure skating is a brutal sport. Injuries happen all the time. Two top tier skaters were injuried last season. Tennell and Kihira. They were not Eteri skaters.

Russian coaches may seem harsh. But the 'harshness' is happening all over the world. That's the reality of any elite sport today.

Agree, elite sports are brutal, figure skating by its nature is not healthy. Unfortunately I've seen a lot of people blame Eteri for Bradie and Rika"s injuries because they were trying to keep up with her skaters

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the present time, both Kostornaia and Shcherbakova are having surgery for their injuries. And there are lots of other Russian skaters who've been on the sidelines this past season because of serious injuries. And it seems to me that La Tutberidze has been known to blame the skaters when they are injured.

quadquadcombo

Spectator
It would be interesting to see her as a coach for the US team, and to see how effective her techniques are to the young talent. The only thing is that I don't believe her coaching style is compatible with American athletes because of the other people involved in the process intervening/disrupting her style. That ruthless style of coaching is the norm in Russia, whereas in the US, may be regarded as abuse.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It would be interesting to see her as a coach for the US team, and to see how effective her techniques are to the young talent. The only thing is that I don't believe her coaching style is compatible with American athletes because of the other people involved in the process intervening/disrupting her style. That ruthless style of coaching is the norm in Russia, whereas in the US, may be regarded as abuse.
Not "regarded as", it IS

HazyD

Rinkside

The drugs that Eteri's skaters are given to delay puberty are known to cause broken bones. Like Alena's multiple fractures, or Daria Usacheva's broken hip. Yes, skaters get injuries, and hip injuries are unfortunately common, but it is in no way a normal skating injury for a 15-year-old girl to fracture her hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.