2014 Skate Canada Ladies SP 10/31 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Ladies SP 10/31

edenlover

On the Ice
I really liked Ashley's program. There isn't time or reward for a spiral sequence in the short program so criticizing her for not doing Michelle Kwan's program is pointless. Ashley comes to compete, unlike the other American ladies. I also liked her costume and think she is in great shape. I hope she does well in the long program.

Actually, her program reminded me of Michelle's program--that's how pretty I thought it was. Specially the spread eagle and some of the other extensions. Didn't mean to be critical of her at all.

NaVi

Medalist
For those that don't like Pogo's music, this is the danger of trying to reuse exhibition music for your real programs. She did an exhibition to Adagio by Il Divo that was really fun... skated to that for her SP test skate at the beginning of August... and apparently changed it to the female and english version of Adagio in the process.

I think it actually works OK, but I think they would have gone in a different path if they knew the original wouldn't have worked out. She needs to work on figuring out a way to connect to the audience with these overpowering vocals.

Eislauf

On the Ice
I would also give Leonova the highest PCS. She was very polished in portraying her role, and the choreography is very original on multiple levels.

Agree. And she looked sleek and fighting fit. Her speed, flow, polish, edges, interpretation were the best of the night. Creative and daring.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, her program reminded me of Michelle's program--that's how pretty I thought it was. Specially the spread eagle and some of the other extensions. Didn't mean to be critical of her at all.

I wasn't referring to your post, edenlover. I didn't think you were critical at all.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think Ashley's score was fair but that Alena should have scored higher, she had my favourite program of the night

gold12345

Medalist
Miyahara and Wagner both received a range of -3 to +1 on their combos. :laugh: It seems they are unsure of how to score an underrotated, two-footed combo, but even so, I don't know how you give either +1 since they were definitely shaky combos. And Wagner had a ! on her 3F, which is interesting considering she definitely does not ever get on an outside edge. Also, -2 to +2 on Leonova's 3F.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The program doesn't highlight the key points and crescendos, though? She skates through them and then does jumps, which are supposed to be the highlights, too late.

This program needs a spiral sequence. It NEEDS it.
I felt her movements/choreography were well-timed to the music, even if she's not doing the highlight moves at the "right" moments. I wouldn't mind a spiral, but just the spread eagle's fine with me.

Bottom line: I understand where you're coming from, and we can'll probably agree to disagree. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I watch it back tomorrow. But my first impression is, wow, that was a great performance and great program, next to everything else we saw tonight. Even though everything else was close to clean. So I can only conclude, I do like the program and not just the way she skated it.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Some of my biggest resistance to this judging system has been the overly busy, frantic look to many programs, which in itself is often very much against the music. But I agree that Ashley's choreo needs a little something more, esp. in that one crescendoing, upward-moving musical sequence.

Leonova's program stood out a bit, even though Chaplin programs seem almost like warhorses at this point. :eek:

Re: Helgesson's costume malfunction - couldn't she have stopped/ gone to the judges' table?

Ashley: "I'm going up against sonograms" :eek:
LOL did she say this in a CBC interview?

I'm watching IceNetwork for the first time this year. After decades of US commentators' babbling, it's odd to watch a programs sans talking - and not get any fluff.