2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07 | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Liza! Yulia! :love: These girls are just incredible. Such technical strength, consistency, and performance ability! I'd give Liza's 2A straight +3 (difficult entry, great length and air position, 'tano, great exit edge, plus the kick to seal it off--what more could she have done?), and same goes for Yulia's spins (the positions, speed, entries...). Their only flaw is, perhaps, their taste in costumes. :laugh:

I will never get tired of watching Liza. I think it's the way she uses her whole body: the position of the free hand during catch-foot spins and spirals, the movements of both the legs and the arms in the step sequence (many are good at one or the other, but not both)... I would've had her first, because her program looks more polished than Yulia's at this point. And she seemed to project more, whereas for Yulia it was more of "getting the job done" (but what a great job she did!) That being said, the marks aren't upsetting or anything. They're expected, and it's not like the judges gave Yulia some huge, dangerous margin like Chan at 2013 Worlds.

I think Yulia just needs to get more comfortable with the program. The elements are all there, and her jumps (axel aside) are better than people give her credit for. I wonder, perhaps because she skates with determination and doesn't smile much, people think she's not musical? I guess I would've like a program that shows more versatility... but I don't have an issue with her packaging in general. She does look young, so trying to do a "mature woman program" would just be ridiculous. She plays to her strengths like everyone else.

And then everyone else...

Despite Kanako's mistake on the flip, I understand why she placed ahead of Gabrielle Daleman. Gabby's packaging was terrible. :disapp: The dress (and its collar) made her look like she had no neck, and the whole princess thing (complete with tiara?!) didn't fit either the music nor her skating.

I was really liking Zijun until the fall. :cry: Hands-down the most beautiful dress of the night, and the way she went into that 3F-3T was almost--dare I say--Yuna-esque. But by the time the StSq kicked in, she'd lost a lot of steam.

I didn't really have expectations for Polina either way; not surprised by what happened, but I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd skated cleanly either. I do like the current, more elegant packaging, and she's learned to use her limbs better.

Sad for Kim. Cain was just disappointing; also wins the award of "Biellmann that least fits the program."

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see how anyone is going to beat Lipnitskaia this year.

She's only 1.5 points ahead of Liza so I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not. In an interview after her skate she said she was very nervous and hasn't skated very much this year. She said her practice felt like she had never skated before. A lot could go wrong but...she has tremendous momentum and she can probably go as far as anyone....if she stays clean for the majority of the season it's hers to lose will be the story.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Yulia's program looked rather frantic, unsophisticated, and the costume made it worse. I normally prefer programs with tons of transition, but hers are more distracting. On the other side, I think she has more power in her jumps now. Well, it didn't prevent her from getting the highest score. Judges love her no matter what.

Polina's dress is beautiful, but it may not work in her favor: she already has very soft arms, and these ruffles/skirts make it seem too much.

I also think everyone here is thinner, or its the camera.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Yulia's dress is nice and cute. In K&C she told Eteri that she liked how it looked on the screen during the performance.

And since Waldo and Wendi almost don't exist outside the English speaking world, her dress doesn't trigger these associations for me. For me red and white striped dress means sailor's suit for girls :love: The beginning of the program reminds me of all these iconic paintings of the girls with kites on the French beaches in the beginning of the 20th century. Like these one http://www.deviantart.com/art/Victorian-Girl-With-Kite-210402196

Jagger

Rinkside
Similar GOE on Yulia and Liza's 3T+3T. Which is laughable.

I have read a lot of similar opinions on this thread and I'm surprised

It's a common misconception that all jumps Julia worse all jumps Liza

All jumps of Julia are the different and a toeloop is the best of them

Julia's axel is much worse axel of Liza

But 3T+3T not worse - both jumps fully rotated, higher than Lisa's toeloops, were made on the high speed and has good exit (sorry about my english)

In my opinion, absolutely fair judgement in TES and components. Yulya worse flip and Axel, she made a mistake on the step sequence, but all the spins are more better.
From the point of view of components: Liza skiing is a more mature, feminine, but there are problems with lines and posture. Julip skating more Junior, but she has more linkings, better line, posture and plastic arms.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree. Liza's all three jumps are much better than Yulia's.

I actually preferred Lip's 3F to Liza's lutz. Her lutz has been landed consistently but there's something about it that I always hold my breath on the landing... Just doesn't seem as confident although I like the little free leg movements when she does land it. I don't think Liza can do a reliable 3Z-3T either at the moment. Her 3T-3T is very solid though.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia's dress is nice and cute. In K&C she told Eteri that she liked how it looked on the screen during the performance.

And since Waldo and Wendi almost don't exist outside the English speaking world, her dress doesn't trigger these associations for me. For me red and white striped dress means sailor's suit for girls :love: The beginning of the program reminds me of all these iconic paintings of the girls with kites on the French beaches in the beginning of the 20th century. Like these one http://www.deviantart.com/art/Victorian-Girl-With-Kite-210402196

I wonder if its got a personal connection to her very short vacations she takes. She said the concept of the program was someone living in a Megapolis but always keeping an eye on the part of who they were before they got there and most importantly keeping an eye on that former self. The kite she flies represents that but....she is quoted as saying her vacation to the beaches in Cyprus as one of her favorites. Here is her beach wear from that particular trip away from Moscow :think:
https://pp.vk.me/c540105/v540105136/13364/LyVgmL6ff9c.jpg

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I wonder if its got a personal connection to her very short vacations she takes. She said the concept of the program was someone living in a Megapolis but always keeping an eye on the part of who they were before they got there and most importantly keeping an eye on that former self. The kite she flies represents that but....she is quoted as saying her vacation to the beaches in Cyprus as one of her favorites. Here is her beach wear from that particular trip away from Moscow :think:
https://pp.vk.me/c540105/v540105136/13364/LyVgmL6ff9c.jpg

Your avatar :laugh::laugh::laugh: Hilarious!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kanako have a lot of Chinese fans as well. Many of them that I know have prepared gifts for this lovely girl. :biggrin:

I really like Kanako a lot and hope she had a great b-day. I was so worried when she was hinting/threatening to retire. So glad she kept going. I must admit though..I was super bummed to learn of her POTO double down. It's preventing me from re watching her program....at least with the sound on. I'm sorry...I just can't. Hopefully she stays clean in the FS. Her smile :love:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I think I like Kana LP at beginning, but when this strange music cuts begins it just break my ear :biggrin: Hope they maybe done some editions to this from JO

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow the U.S. ladies really under-performed here. Hopefully they can get some redemption in the FS. Yulia and Liza were great, so was Kanako.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Liza! Yulia! :love: These girls are just incredible. Such technical strength, consistency, and performance ability! I'd give Liza's 2A straight +3 (difficult entry, great length and air position, 'tano, great exit edge, plus the kick to seal it off--what more could she have done?), and same goes for Yulia's spins (the positions, speed, entries...). Their only flaw is, perhaps, their taste in costumes. :laugh:

I think Yulia just needs to get more comfortable with the program. The elements are all there, and her jumps (axel aside) are better than people give her credit for. I wonder, perhaps because she skates with determination and doesn't smile much, people think she's not musical? I guess I would've like a program that shows more versatility... but I don't have an issue with her packaging in general. She does look young, so trying to do a "mature woman program" would just be ridiculous. She plays to her strengths like everyone else.

Regarding Yulia's 2A I think it was just rougher this time, because of the different layout than the test skate that she performed for the first time(in a competitive-like setting). This one was much smoother and effortlessly integrated into the whole program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YaVfbMwtO0 (3:03)

I do agree about her 2A being not as good in terms of height(?), but the way the she enters and exit, the distance and flow make it seem just as good to me as anyone else's the majority of time. I have no complaints with her getting negligible GOE for it.

FIREBIRD

On the Ice
I think Yulia's program looked rather frantic, unsophisticated, and the costume made it worse.

Completely disagree with you. In my opinion, her program was the most original one, compared to other programs that were Phantom of the Opera (which seems like everyone is doing this season) or just pretty princess music like Li Zijuns. :rolleye: As for the costume, it gives a “vintage” feel to the overall kite idea. Not to mention it’s simple, without ruffles and too much sparkles.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I like Yulia's new program. Very original with her cute costume!!! :love: Even though I want her to change it... I might have changed my mind. :slink: