2014 NHK Trophy Free Dance 11/29 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2014 NHK Trophy Free Dance 11/29

Alba

Record Breaker
I am a bit confused. The Brits had a very low technical score. I know about the fall, but they either missed a few big elements or they would have had a low score even without that fall. The fall was near the end, and they were around 32 points. I don't understand. Are they in a different class? How were they in the second position? I liked their program a lot, but I am not good at judging dance.

They did made several errors. The most important they missed half of NtMiSt. They had problems with the lift, she made an error with the twizzles, plus two falls. That's a lot. I think they have lost some levels too.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't care, Russian fed should say thank you to them. But so ironic that their only team in GPF is I/Z!!! Ha ha ha!!:laugh2:

:drama: I wonder what Tat will say about this. I/K never made it into GPF didn't they? And just 6 months together I/Z made it!!

Florencito

Medalist
Geez, even Ice dance has become unpredictable this season. I'd loved it if it wasn't for the disasters :hopelessness:

I don't care, Russian fed should say thank you to them. But so ironic that their only team in GPF is I/Z!!! Ha ha ha!!:laugh2:

:drama: I wonder what Tat will say about this. I/K never made it into GPF didn't they? And just 6 months together I/Z made it!!

They made it once and were first alternates once or twice, last year for sure.

elif

Medalist

They made it in 2012. Finished 6th, If I remember right.

Their free dance is weak, I don't expect much. But it is going to be great we will see their paso doble in Spain.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
They did made several errors. The most important they missed half of NtMiSt. They had problems with the lift, she made an error with the twizzles, plus two falls. That's a lot. I think they have lost some levels too.

Plus their spin was awful. They did a lot of mistakes, and Nicolas stumbled more than once. That's a tragedy anyway, I'm so sorry for them.
I don't know for sure, but I think there's a possibility they would have lost to M/K even without this fall. It would be close, that's for sure.

elif

Medalist
Also Buckland didn't hold one foot position 3 seconds in straight line lift. They lost two levels for that.

Snow63

Record Breaker
The event was tragic. No other word about it.
Poor Vika, she never lost her face after the fall, and smiled through the tears in K&C. I just can't at people on russian boards who says it was all her mistakes on both lifts. I wonder if she's regretting her move to US with Nikita after all.
M/K were wonderful. I don't get why their PCS is so low. They have very deep edges (probably deeper than W/P), beautiful lines, power, speed, a lot of attack. They danced with emotion, not blank faces like some other teams. They had highest BV out of all the teams once again (same in SD). Well, they're still young and very good technically, so we'll see if the Federation will count on them in the future after this S/K disaster. They have a very good chance to be #3 russian team, if B/S will even skate at Nationals.
H/B impressed me the most today. They will consistently break 90 points mark in no time.

Edit: and of course C/B. That was a rough day for them even without that fall. They seemed nervous and stiff. The dance grew on me a lot, and I like their lifts. But overall their performance was meh.
I just can't believe how lucky I/Z are :laugh: Again.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
I am really sorry for Vik and Nik. This will be difficult to get past. But I am happy that all can see how remarkable Ilinykh is to have dealt with this man for so many years. Victoria was noticaby embarrassed. Nikita just gave up after the fall. Vik though more vivacious her skating skills need work. I hope they can get through this and move on

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am really sorry for Vik and Nik. This will be difficult to get past. But I am happy that all can see how remarkable Ilinykh is to have dealt with this man for so many years. Victoria was noticaby embarrassed. Nikita just gave up after the fall. Vik though more vivacious her skating skills need work. I hope they can get through this and move on
Yeah, I feel sorry for Vika as well, it's obviously Nikita's fault for those deduction. Now it turns out it's Nikita who is prone to mistakes. Poor Vika.
But at the same time I am relieved for Elena, to get away fro Nikita!!

whatif

Medalist
Ouch, this competition had more falls than singles.

I really liked H/B, what a revelation for me. I wonder about his height though? It was particularly noticeable on the podium.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The event was tragic. No other word about it.
Poor Vika, she never lost her face after the fall, and smiled through the tears in K&C. I just can't at people on russian boards who says it was all her mistakes on both lifts. I wonder if she's regretting her move to US with Nikita after all.
M/K were wonderful. I don't get why their PCS is so low. They have very deep edges (probably deeper than W/P), beautiful lines, power, speed, a lot of attack. They danced with emotion, not blank faces like some other teams. They had highest BV out of all the teams once again (same in SD). Well, they're still young and very good technically, so we'll see if the Federation will count on them in the future after this S/K disaster. They have a very good chance to be #3 russian team, if B/S will even skate at Nationals.
H/B impressed me the most today. They will consistently break 90 points mark in no time.

Edit: and of course C/B. That was a rough day for them even without that fall. They seemed nervous and stiff. The dance grew on me a lot, and I like their lifts. But overall their performance was meh.
I just can't believe how lucky I/Z are :laugh: Again.

M/K deservedly got low PCS for that because they are the textbook example this season of why, despite what some people will tell you (at tedious length), ID is more than technique. I don't buy for one nanosecond any "emotion" in that program, because there is NO context or storyline to support it. It has NO relation to the music. And what their team has done to one of Handel's most beautiful pieces of music is criminal. Eurotrash Disco Handel. Unfortunately, they're just talented enough so that there isn't a single camp moment to it.

C/B had a different problem. I would bet money that disaster of a FD is about nerves. This really is the first time they were pretty much expected to be on the podium, and that can be unnerving until you learn how to deal with success. A shame they won't make the Finals, but a valuable learning experience for them. And for all that people complained about Marlie's programs being "too close to Pairs," this is the first program I've seen that really tips over too much into Pairs skating.

Last edited:

elif

Medalist
Monko/Khaliavin's technique is not that good. OK nice edges but where is easy flow and acceleration? Hawayek/Baker sometimes doesn't have good edges, they don't have ice coverage yet but their skating has flow. It is important to have deep edges+effortless glide+control+power+speed+accelaration+ice coverage+one foot skating+knee action all together.

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
M/K deservedly got low PCS for that because they are the textbook example this season of why, despite what some people will tell you (at tedious length), ID is more than technique. I don't buy for one nanosecond any "emotion" in that program, because there is NO context or storyline

Actually there is a context to it. Their FS is inspired by Rodin's statues, especially the one known as "The Kiss".

GF2445

Record Breaker
Im so sad for the british team. A ticket to the GPF was there right infront of them and they unfortunately stumbled. Its time for them to regroup and battle on to Europeans

KKonas

Medalist
M/K deservedly got low PCS for that because they are the textbook example this season of why, despite what some people will tell you (at tedious length), ID is more than technique. I don't buy for one nanosecond any "emotion" in that program, because there is NO context or storyline to support it. It has NO relation to the music. And what their team has done to one of Handel's most beautiful pieces of music is criminal. Eurotrash Disco Handel. Unfortunately, they're just talented enough so that there isn't a single camp moment to it.

Well, I lost interest in the program after the first minute. In a word - the FD was boring.

C/B had a different problem. I would bet money that disaster of a FD is about nerves. This really is the first time they were pretty much expected to be on the podium, and that can be unnerving until you learn how to deal with success. A shame they won't make the Finals, but a valuable learning experience for them. And for all that people complained about Marlie's programs being "too close to Pairs," this is the first program I've seen that really tips over too much into Pairs skating.

They do look more like pairs than ice dancers. They are too far apart from each other throughout the program. Their hips are never close together in partner holds. Have no idea why they have been getting such high marks.

I do really like H&B's FD. This is a great result for them in their 1st year as seniors on the international circuit.

Sackie

Medalist
Wow low score for W/P - they really are getting pushed to the back of the medal contenders. Like someone mentioned that is even behind the French team who had deductions. So far the judges love Chock/Bates for WGM! And I just don't get it. Looks like W/P could finish 4th or 5th at worlds again. I expect the RUS to jump in score come the GPF!

Snow63

Record Breaker

I agree with you that ID in more than technique, and still it's a biggest part of the competition. No storyline? Maybe. But not every dance has storyline. Of course it's easier to pick R&J or Carmen, and skate to the story with solemn faces. I feel their dance, and their 'uber-trauma-drama' emotions. Sue me :) Sarabande (music) is important to me. And I don't like this arrangement of Handel's original Sarabande too much, still appreciate what Zhulin done with M/K.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Me too, I find it hard to consider C/B a dance team. They have an interesting choreography but honestly I don't see so much "dance" with them. And don't understand their marks from past season.

Another dance team who's not growing on my this season is Nelli and Alex's one. I'm a bit tired of "too much" originality, for me this program doesn't have a sense and doesn't help them in technical aspects. I see a decline every new season...

Last edited: