Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO

slider11

Medalist
This thread cracks me up! Obviously folks have a lot to say about Mirai and she attracts a lot of attention! This is what skating needs and maybe Mirai, too! Public relations staff at usfsa, take notice! Mirai is on the radar!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Why can't people say "Oh, OK" and leave it at that. Saying that she should retire/has no future/passed her peak/discrediting the reasons why she hasn't skated well at certain competitions belongs in another thread. Give her some slack! :mad: :disapp:
and blah blah blah

Oh, OK. What a joke of a post. According to the book of Samm, we should just say, yay! No need to speculate on her current and past failures. But yeah. Oh, OK. *eyeroll*

Last edited:

samm22

On the Ice
and blah blah blah

Oh, OK. What a joke of a post. According to the book of Samm, we should just say, yay! No need to speculate on her current and past failures. But yeah. Oh, OK. *eyeroll*

Whoa! I meant that it is ok to do that, BUT it doesn't belong in THIS thread...this was a photo with her with Mishin, not a prompt about her current and past failures (and successes!) it would be fine to speculate about her future, just not in this thread

samm22

On the Ice

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
No. Not every thread about Mirai needs to be a "SHE SHOULD RETIRE THREAD." there is a time and a place for criticism, but this thread only was about a cute photo with Mirai and Mishin. There is a thread for talking about her future here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51947-Mirai-Nagasu-s-future-prospects&highlight=mirai%27s+future+prospects and please do not just say "Oh, OK." have some decency and respect.

There is very little talk about retirement on this thread except from fans who continuously harp on that. Any discussion that wasn't about the photo started with fans. There was discussion about whether she was improving, some people said she will be a late bloomer and others disagreed. It's not like you posted a photo and then people came on here and said "retire" based on the photo.

samm22

On the Ice
There is very little talk about retirement on this thread except from fans who continuously harp on that. Any discussion that wasn't about the photo started with fans. There was discussion about whether she was improving, some people said she will be a late bloomer and others disagreed. It's not like you posted a photo and then people came on here and said "retire" based on the photo.

I guess, but I and other people felt that it was overwhelmingly negative. The thread asked "Do you think this could help her for the upcoming season?" but like you, I found certain people responding to the thread as if it was asking whether or not she should retire/has passed her peak etc. My and other people's comments about how we thought that didn't apply to this thread were directed toward them. the comment above was a response to LiamForeman as *he (I am guessing from the avatar, to be more grammatically correct) had said that I had suggested that people not have any opinions about Mirai. I was only clarifying that I said that posting "she should retire/will never improve/is done" was fine, but it doesn't apply to the thread. Maybe "I don't think Mishin will help her improve because, but if she did this, she may do better" etc. would have been a better example to use. If one thinks that this won't help her next season, try to relate it to the thread and don't be the (minority, but there are still a few) people who say she's done.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Please feel free to point out where I said Mirai should retire.

As I said at the start of the thread, my concern is that she doesn't even seem to realise she's UR-ing while she does it and then is shocked at her TES/placement. That is a Very Bad Thing if Tom and/or the Professor are trying to help her and I don't know that even they can if she can't feel it.

samm22

On the Ice
Please feel free to point out where I said Mirai should retire.

As I said at the start of the thread, my concern is that she doesn't even seem to realise she's UR-ing while she does it and then is shocked at her TES/placement. That is a Very Bad Thing if Tom and/or the Professor are trying to help her and I don't know that even they can if she can't feel it.

I never said YOU said Mirai should retire or was done...and I agree that her underrotations are a prevalent issue (although I think that they can be fixed if she rides her take off more, and doesn't land so much on the toe pick) sorry for any confusion

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think you pretty well summed up how I feel. I am not very good at catching URs in practice so I don't know if this happens more in competition , just like Ashley and Gracie's individual issues appear more in comp. than in practice. I know in sports I do it is hard to break old habits and not fall back into them. I applaud Mao for taking the time to relearn her jumping technique and sticking with it....it was worth it in the end. Willing the body to do one thing when it wants to do another is hard.....

I do think Mirai is a beautiful skater. I want her to figure out her UR problem. She has the goods but the reality is that it gets harder every year. I hope she gets whatever help she needs but more than that I want her to get her confidence back. If a lesson with a coach like Mishin helps even a little then great. Mirai is an adult, if it's worth it to her to continue at this level then that's what she should do. Even if she never wins another medal I want to see her skate for herself with confidence again.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think you pretty well summed up how I feel. I am not very good at catching URs in practice so I don't know if this happens more in competition , just like Ashley and Gracie's individual issues appear more in comp.

Based on clips I have seen (and, to be honest, not that many) Mirai does seem to skate well and rotate her jumps in practice and warm-ups. I also don't think she has any particular jumps which are more prone to <, which is why I'm not convinced that there is anything wrong with her technique. Maybe it's just when she's nervous she is trying to not fall and ends up opening up early to land safely?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Based on clips I have seen (and, to be honest, not that many) Mirai does seem to skate well and rotate her jumps in practice and warm-ups. I also don't think she has any particular jumps which are more prone to <, which is why I'm not convinced that there is anything wrong with her technique. Maybe it's just when she's nervous she is trying to not fall and ends up opening up early to land safely?

I feel the same. I think she puts a lot of pressure on herself to silence critics. I wish she would focus on her love of skating and let the negativity go.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Most likely it is competition nerves. I've seen her live at several competitions, and you'd think her technique is superb by watching her practices. Wonderful posture, spring, control, height, and she knocks all the jumps off like nothing and they all look fully rotated. They ARE, which is why I love to watch practices, because you can see the tracings of the landings. I'm not sure Mishin can correct her mind/nerves.

Another thing I was thinking about was Tom Z's first star student, APMcDonough. She had a terrible habit of fish-hooking almost all her jumps to the point of <<. AP would not have fared well under COP, but she was competing with the likes of Sarah Hughes who pre-rotated and UR'd under 6.0. I think it's great that Tom Z would encourage Mishin's help. As the common theme is here, it can't hurt.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think you are right. I have been to every nats since 2007 and when I would watch her practice with Frank coaching, it seemed like she was wonderful in Practice. IIRC, I think even Frank in the Kiss and Cry thought she should have been scored higher in the Free skate than she was.....

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Well, reading that, surely we can all understand why she keeps going and support that continual effort, even if it isn't what some of us would do ourselves. Looking forward to seeing her new programs.

Last edited:
http://figureskatersonline.com/mirainagasu/home/mantra-im-a-fighter/

I swear Mirai read this thread and wrote a blog about it.

Hey Mirai, I hope you are reading this (to the tune of “Do you hear the people sing?” from Les Miz).

Do you hear the people cheer?
Cheering with all their might and main!
It is our most beloved gal about
To take the ice again!

Show the courage of your heart,
Summon the trumpets and the drums!
Oh, we can hardly stand to wait
‘Til the season comes!

You may be a Muggle, but you are still my favorite “Alien” (Ailene) ;).

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
http://figureskatersonline.com/mirainagasu/home/mantra-im-a-fighter/

I swear Mirai read this thread and wrote a blog about it.

Loved reading that - thank you! It was very moving - especially so for me as reading has helped me through many a dodgy patch as well, so I can really sympathise with that.

And in case Mirai does read this thread.:):

Thanks, Mirai, for sharing your thoughts - I can understand, too, how scary it must be to share so personal feelings, and letting others see your vulnerability. That takes true courage - wishing you all the best! :)