TEB is Cancelled | Page 7 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

katha

On the Ice
They propose to count the SP standings for the GPF qualifications:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015/11/14/157301526

It's not really fair, but I think in this situation nothing they will do can be really fair anymore. It's an unfortunate situation, I don't envy the ISU at all and taking the SP standings is probably the most viable solution.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I really think it's an error to cancel.
The disgusting terrorists win if people stop their everyday lives.
Plus, in the long-term this is a total mess & unfair for certain skaters.
They could have just delayed the event for a few day's.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Agree we all should be courageous and maintain a united front in the face of terrorism and intimidation but it's foolhardy to believe life can go on as before. The world as a whole now is on high alert which is only good common sense. Of necessity the concept of "living a normal life" has changed dramatically -- as CNN said "this is the new normal"... That said we can hopefully go about daily activities as normally as possible and err on the side of caution. Endorse wholeheartedly the decision to close TEB given the state of emergency in France now. Bring our skaters home (!) Then let the ISU work out the details...

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
"There is similar precedence to this cancellation in the past. The 2001 Junior Grand Prix Phoenix was cancelled two weeks after the September 11 attacks. The JGP final was held after the skaters in that competition were offered a chance to compete at a later event. That said, there are only two events left in this season's GP, whereas there were six left that season before the JGPF. And the short program has already taken place for TEB."

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I support the cancellation of TEB, it is IMHO the more sensitive thing to do in this situation.
Yesterday I said that standings in the short should be use as final, and I still think is the more reasonable way of doing it.

Safe travels to all the delegations and people.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
In short, The GP series will go on and whatever desicion is made there is no way to be fair about it this season, Only to cut losses

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
It would have been nice if only all the skaters and their teams could have the safe place to live and train before the competition, in Europe. Do you realise how exhausting it would be for most of them to fly home and then get back for the sake of LP? I have no idea what they would do- maybe settle the venue the week after the NHK- but that would mean that some of skaters would have less time prior to GPF.
No, my proposal is to move them right now from France to the place in Italy or elsewhere that will agree to conduct Free Skating ASAP. For instance on Monday on Tuesday. So they won't have to go home and come back, they go home after LP next week.

Of course I realize it's not easy to arrange and but some solution has to be found. And in fact every solution in this situation has considerable drawbacks. So they have to find best of the "bad" solutions.

euroskate

Final Flight
"There is similar precedence to this cancellation in the past. The 2001 Junior Grand Prix Phoenix was cancelled two weeks after the September 11 attacks. The JGP final was held after the skaters in that competition were offered a chance to compete at a later event. That said, there are only two events left in this season's GP, whereas there were six left that season before the JGPF. And the short program has already taken place for TEB."

this is different since it was cancelled before and not within. i know its hard for some skaters, but i think its the best. short program in former days was called "name of the game" and so it is today

Sorrento

Record Breaker
It would be great if all the skaters agree with this. How they would count the results then? I mean- will they have to skate their SP again?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
No, my proposal is to move them right now from France to the place in Italy or elsewhere that will agree to conduct Free Skating ASAP. For instance on Monday on Tuesday. So they won't have to go home and come back, they go home after LP next week.

Of course I realize it's not easy to arrange and but some solution has to be found. And in fact every solution in this situation has considerable drawbacks. So they have to find best of the "bad" solutions.

I'm assuming if they weren't willing to just hold a Judges only competition they probably won't go for that either

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
It was absolutely the right decision to cancel this event. Safety first and we do not know if ISIS had any additional plans. They attempted to blow up the soccer stadium. It's right for the safety of all athletes and for France as a whole to mourn.

whatif

Medalist
I wonder why this year's event did not take place at Paris Bercy??? I can't stop thinking that if the location wasn't changed, this event would have been one possible target??? How awful must some skaters feel right now.