2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Press conference highlights, anyone?

I missed most of it because IN hates my computer, but I did see that Adam said something like "Well, I'm not going to go home and be like YAYYYYY NO MORE QUADS" and that was pretty hilarious.

Yeah, that was pretty funny. Phil Hersh also did the "waaaah it's the second year in a row we'll be sending a quadless champion to Worlds" and Adam just started his response with "Well, Phil" with this expression that said everything.

And then Max totally killed me with his answer to the question of what if he'd done the triple Salchow, owning the mistake and saying that yes, he was upset, because it's not what he trained, but he's glad he stuck to his process...

and I just can't because this is killing me, it was supposed to be his year, his title, his redemption and I cant!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
  • Judge 4 - consciously keeping her head/eyes down at her monitor [as if to avoid looking up into the crowd??]
She got that same look we all had back in school when the teacher asked a question and nobody knew the answer and everyone was like "I'm not here, don't look at me, I don't know the answer and I don't know what's going on so just go and pick somebody else, thank you" :laugh:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
But he took the judges to task for the wrong things. He somehow thought that the judges should have "appreciated" the quads more by giving extra magical points (he didn't specify in which category) to the big quadsters. He also blamed the USFSA for being shortsighted in not sending Chen to worlds. The only trouble being that it is almost certain that they WILL send Chen to Worlds.

Rippon got 90+ PCS when he internationally gets 83. And people complained about Medvedeva being overscored getting 76 PCS when she internationally gets 72, pfft.

Then there's Chen's Loop, Lutz and 4-2-2 that all got +0 GOE when to me they looked pretty good. I'd assume them getting positive GOE normally, somewhere between 1 and 2.

Rippon's Lutz in the combo was UR, not called. Generally UR also gets -GOE. This would have cost Rippon around 3 points.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
But he took the judges to task for the wrong things. He somehow thought that the judges should have "appreciated" the quads more by giving extra magical points (he didn't specify in which category) to the big quadsters. He also blamed the USFSA for being shortsighted in not sending Chen to worlds. The only trouble being that it is almost certain that they WILL send Chen to Worlds.

THANK YOU and bless this post.

What should Max and Nathan have gotten more points for? They already got the points for the jumps. Some sort of hidden quad bonus?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Rippon got 90+ PCS when he internationally gets 83. And people complained about Medvedeva being overscored getting 76 PCS when she internationally gets 72, pfft.

And Max got 84 PCS when internationally his PB is 81. I called it, didn't I? He was never going to get the same rate of inflation as anyone else.

Every great complete skater now has mutilple quads. US is being ridiculous by staying in the quad skaters aren't complete mentality.

The "US" (if by this you mean the USFSA) is not "saying" anything. Under the IJS, add up the points and that's how valuable a quad is compared to a program that lacks a quad but earns points in other areas.

Now if the ISU would revise the scoring system to put a higher value on quads, that would be something else altogether.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find it very irritating when people don't see that extremely difficult programs can add to the quality and impact of the moment a program creates. It's kind of frustrating that people value "mature" and "polished" as the only form of artistic impression. Maybe I'm on my own island but I see merit in both ways of skating.

andromache

Record Breaker
And Max got 84 PCS when internationally his PB is 81. I called it, didn't I? He was never going to get the same rate of inflation as anyone else.

His international PB at SA was a fantastic performance. Today he was flat. His SA performance would've won today.

salchowx4

On the Ice
I hope Johnny and Tara stick around for a good long time if they are going to be so honest like they were tonight. Didn't think I'd ever be saying that. Keep speaking truth to power, guys.

Matilda

Medalist

Johnny was talking specifically in terms of what international judges appreciate, and how other countries boost their young skaters' international credentials by sending them to big international competitions early on. Based on the score sheet it's quite obvious Nathan was held back with low GOEs. I can only hope you are right about Nathan being sent to the a worlds.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
His international PB at SA was a fantastic performance. Today he was flat. His SA performance would've won today.

On the other hand, Rippon's 83 PCS performance had no fall, he got 81 PCS with a fall. Now 90+ with a fall. And no, I don't think it even was any better than his 83 PCS performance.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
THANK YOU and bless this post.

What should Max and Nathan have gotten more points for? They already got the points for the jumps. Some sort of hidden quad bonus?

No, but Adam should have been docked for downgrades that the judges couldn't "see".

andromache

Record Breaker
On the other hand, Rippon's 83 PCS performance had no fall, he got 81 PCS with a fall. Now 90+ with a fall. And no, I don't think it even was any better than his 83 PCS performance.

Well after giving Max the Nationals inflation PCS of 85, I don't think scoring Adam (on average) 1 point higher than Max in each category was incorrect today. If Max had generated more excitement as he did during SA, I have no doubt that gap would've much closer.

Plus, given that Adam skated right after Nathan and Max, the things that Adam does really, really well look even better in comparison.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Then there's Chen's Loop, Lutz and 4-2-2 that all got +0 GOE when to me they looked pretty good. I'd assume them getting positive GOE normally, somewhere between 1 and 2.

Rippon's Lutz in the combo was UR, not called. Generally UR also gets -GOE. This would have cost Rippon around 3 points.

Don't forget the "4"Lz, which got away with a <. It's basically the jump a '<<<' should be invented for.