2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS

zschultz1986

Final Flight
I think the US stands about the same chance of losing a spot with or without Jason. The field has gotten so much deeper than last year; it would be shocking for any US man, even Jason, to get 4th place. I'm most interested to see how Nathan holds up next to Boyang...both should be around the same PCS-wise, but if Nathan earns less than Boyang then it's good he's getting to perform as a senior sooner rather than later.

Yes well the US champion this year is probably the weakest link in terms of Worlds and bringing spots back. No offense to Adam, but he's settled into a 7-14th spot in the judges mind. I agree that I want to see how the judges score Nathan vs. Jin, because I feel like Nathan compares favorably to Jin in all the PCS aspect and can keep up in TES. he needs to land that 3A though.

However, you never know. Chan has been way inconsistent. I take Canadian Nats with a grain of salt, there's NO pressure on him there. However, if all the players show up, I agree, it'll be hard for ANY US man to get higher than 6th.

badknees

Medalist
Has it been confirmed that Raf "stormed off" in reaction to Adam's score?

Perhaps more accurately, Raf simply "departed very quickly" out of the sudden realization and concern that Nathan was now in much grater danger of being 'overlooked' for the Sr. World Team ... and there was no time to waste to start his 'politicking'!! This scenario fits into the context of how quickly the USFSA decision is/was made regarding the final selection of the USFSA men's world team (...as just announced via Twitter; less than 1 hour after the protocols were released).

Until proven otherwise, it should be considered only as rumour (...so let's give Raf the benefit of the doubt?!?)

Of course, if it is confirmed that Raf did "storm off" ... then bad on him!! :roll5:

Yup, you're correct. I have been posting too much on this unconfirmed rumor. Something about the TSL live show where they said it??
Perhaps Raf spoke with Adam before his skate to say he was going to be standing in the KC in case he had to go fight for Nathan.

Perhaps more accurately, Raf simply "departed very quickly" out of the sudden realization and concern that Nathan was now in much grater danger of being 'overlooked' for the Sr. World Team[/COLOR]).

I don't think so. Nathan was never in any danger of not being picked for Worlds. The fact that the decision came within an hour of the close of the event shows that the Selection Committee had nothing to discuss.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Anyway. No video of Rippon's free skate still? What's going on?

If I'm not mistaken, Rippon's FS music triggers the YouTube copyright filters. The only free skates I can find of Rippon on YouTube from earlier competitions this season were eventually claimed by USFSVideo, which releases third-party music claims.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Do you US fans forget to celebrate a great event put on by your Men today because you went straight into debating who to send to worlds and who was more or less worthy?

Congratulations to Adam, Max, and Nathan! All very impressive in their different ways. :clap:

Many thought the ladies great skates couldn't be topped, but the men proved them wrong! I think it speaks volumes that the ICE Desk mostly pick highlights from men and dance!!!

artsciboy

On the Ice
Has it been confirmed that Raf "stormed off" in reaction to Adam's score?

Perhaps more accurately, Raf simply "departed very quickly" out of the sudden realization and concern that Nathan was now in much grater danger of being 'overlooked' for the Sr. World Team ... and there was no time to waste to start his 'politicking'!! This scenario fits into the context of how quickly the USFSA decision is/was made regarding the final selection of the USFSA men's world team (...as just announced via Twitter less than 1 hour after the protocols were released).

Until proven otherwise, it should be considered only as rumour (...so let's give Raf the benefit of the doubt?!?)

Of course, if it is confirmed that Raf did "storm off" ... then bad on him!! :roll5:

On The Skating Lesson's live show, they said that Raf went backstage and was swearing in Russian, etc. and clearly not pleased.

I'd give Raf a pass for his overt opionions if he didn't coach both Adam and Nathan, but the fact is he does. Not fair to Adam.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
They kind of owed her when she didn't make a fuss about not going to the 1994 Olympics.

But what they really owed her for was carrying United States figure skating on her back for a decade. :laugh:

On the other hand, she was well paid, and not just in money. So I guess it's even-steven. :yes:

Like I said when I got on your case a couple weeks ago with a poor joke, Mathman, I usually agree with most everything you post, even if my emotions may want the opposite to be true. :laugh2:

I used to hate IJS, but I do like the quantifiable aspects of it. It gives me a better grasp of how to form my opinions when I have numbers to look at besides 6.0/6.0

Shayuki

Record Breaker
If I'm not mistaken, Rippon's FS music triggers the YouTube copyright filters. The only free skates I can find of Rippon on YouTube from earlier competitions this season were eventually claimed by USFSVideo, which releases third-party music claims.

I don't really even care about that, wouldn't mind a muted video. It's just strange that the winner's performance isn't available. And ugh, skating music should be protected from that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think so. Nathan was never in any danger of not being picked for Worlds. The fact that the decision came within an hour of the close of the event shows that the Selection Committee had nothing to discuss.

Exactly. I think it's a good reminder that just because you ask, doesn't mean your wish will be granted. :)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes well the US champion this year is probably the weakest link in terms of Worlds and bringing spots back. No offense to Adam, but he's settled into a 7-14th spot in the judges mind. I agree that I want to see how the judges score Nathan vs. Jin, because I feel like Nathan compares favorably to Jin in all the PCS aspect and can keep up in TES. he needs to land that 3A though.

However, you never know. Chan has been way inconsistent. I take Canadian Nats with a grain of salt, there's NO pressure on him there. However, if all the players show up, I agree, it'll be hard for ANY US man to get higher than 6th.

You never know. Sergei Voronov got 4th in the SP and 17th in the FP last year at Worlds....wait....I don't know if that was a good comparison or not. Also Nathan needs to work on boosting those PCS points in a way. Ya know?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't really even care about that, wouldn't mind a muted video. It's just strange that the winner's performance isn't available. And ugh, skating music should be protected from that.

This is where people who want copyrights are like 5 year olds IMHO. 5 year olds who don't want to share toys is how I like to put it out.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
All the Adam hate in this thread :laugh:. He won the crowd with a real performance, which Max and Nathan both lacked tonight.

Max, Nathan, Adam...in ANY order....would be a perfect world team.

ETA: Jason should NOT be sent to Worlds. I'm sorry, I love him, but he hasn't made a case for himself this season.

I cant wait to get home and see the competition as y'all saw it. I sat in the second row next to the kiss and cry and it seemed to me that when Max beat Chen, the crowd was ok with that as Max has been working hard on his PCSs and he connected to the crowd better, but we all still loved both of them....I sat through Adam's performance thinking, "Nice artistry but not connecting with the crowd" and not interpreting that music from my generation....and ran up to the top of the stairs to the facilities and they were just announcing the result when I got back to the top of the stairs...I couldnt believe it....I really like Ross but I was so upset I just walked out of the arena....maybe I was just too close to the trees to see the forest....or maybe I am just an old foggy like Dick Button who thinks a fall is a fall and zero points....or maybe I am still sad about Chan beating Ten at Worlds by falling twice....but hey, you win a few (Satuday) and you loose a few....(Sunday) At least I got to have breakfast with Gracie, Mirai, Mariah, and Hannah...life is good.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
You never know. Sergei Voronov got 4th in the SP and 17th in the FP last year at Worlds....wait....I don't know if that was a good comparison or not. Also Nathan needs to work on boosting those PCS points in a way. Ya know?

I feel like Nathan's PCS will grow with him, if he skates consistently. He has stuff to work on, but 4 Quads, landed cleanly is nothing to scoff at.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Posted on Twitter:
Nick McCarvelVerified account ‏@NickMcCarvel 1m1 minute ago
US Figure Skating announces its Worlds team and Jason Brown is not on it. Rippon, Aaron, Chen #figureskating

Oooo. Good for them.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like Nathan's PCS will grow with him, if he skates consistently. He has stuff to work on, but 4 Quads, landed cleanly is nothing to scoff at.

Of course. 4 quads in a FP is amazing its own right and even more impressive to see that stamina throughout the whole thing.

tjskate

Rinkside
This. Thank you. I thought it was a great event and showed the depth the US is developing in men's skating. Really looking forward to worlds, I love Jason and missed Josh, but this is an exciting mens team and I think they could surprise us!

Yes well the US champion this year is probably the weakest link in terms of Worlds and bringing spots back.

It is what it is. You go with what you got.

No, Rippon isn't Yuzuru Hanyu. Aaron isn't Patrick Chan or Javier Fernandez. If Hanyu, Chan and Fernandez were Americans , we would send them as our representatives to Worlds. (Unless Shoma Uno also applied for American citizenship. Then we would have a problem. ;) )

Last edited:

badknees

Medalist
(So your post was not actually at me but) my mistake then. I always thought a coach's job was to teach a student how to compete, not more than that.

No,no my post was not at you! I would hope I never get personal on this forum. It's so easy for misinterpretations to happen, especially since we are all posting super quick and not proofreading!
And I haven't actually read any contract between a skater and their coach. So, maybe KC or actually coming to a comp. is not actually guaranteed in whatever contract there is??

zschultz1986

Final Flight
This. Thank you. I thought it was a great event and showed the depth the US is developing in men's skating. Really looking forward to worlds, I love Jason and missed Josh, but this is an exciting mens team and I think they could surprise us!

They'll only surprise if the top guys falter (which could happen.) Of those, Uno's Short and Chan's Short are the ones to watch. Chan has been way inconsistent internationally this year. However, I think we all still need to be sober when we look at the prospects this year.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States