2016 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Mens SP

da96103

Record Breaker
Some comments from the Japanese Broadcast, Kevin Reynolds was interviewed in Japanese and they did a little special blurb for him. His Japanese is quite good! Better than Chris Reed by miles! He said he'd do his best in the free.

Patrick spent most of his interview saying how bad the ice was...that he felt like he had never skated before.

Shoma said 'My performance wasn't so bad' I'll concentrate on the free.

That's all I remember for now.

My favorite performances were:

1.Han Yan. 4CC seems to be the place where the unexpected do well, Kanako and Han, my heroes. Thank you for at least skating your SP well! Loved it.

2. Boyang, again, tango is not the best dance for him but he's doing his best for this tango, and going clean and jumping like a kangaroo in a whirlwind. What's not to love about that?

3. Shoma, is only in third because he's done this SP better on the performance side and I missed a bit of the sass.

4. Muraaa! YES thank you for not popping ANYTHING. You are coming into form. Aim for the podium!

The last group was pretty good by and large. :hap57:

P.S. Respectable performances from Keiji and Grant. -hit it out of the park in the FS you two. :yahoo:

but Shoma is not in third, he's in second.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
First of all, I think I deserve a 6.0 for watching the lagging-every-8seconds-stream.

Boyang's jumps are as cool as always. But I would give only 7.5 top for SS. Same for TR. The rest I have no disagreement.

That was a HARD landing on Shoma's 4T, I hope his leg bone is alright.

YES for Yan Han! When he is on, he IS on! what happened to the spin though?

And a BIGGER YES for Mura! I think maybe he deserves a higgher score for Choreo and IN? And also please fix your camel spin combo..thats where you lose points...

Well tbh I am not surprised by Patrick, his strong suit is his long and I am waiting for it!!!

auser

Record Breaker
Wow, so many spin errors. I know the jumps are king, but i miss having someone like Jason around to show nice spins...

While watching US Nationals Men's comp including chatter about Nathan Chen's scores, I really missed watching Stephan Lambiel's beautiful spins.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He fought till the end! I was so sad for him but he never gave up till the final fall on the spin knocked the wind out of him. :( With that kind of determination, I think he can make it back. It'll just take some time.

That's another think that makes me a fan of him: huge determination. Like after the hip surgery, he became very determined to come back ASAP. And he did! And did well enough for nationals and to go to 4CC. I still don't want to watch the program because I don't like seeing bad performances from my faves. In fact I was still asleep/trying to savor sleeping in more by the time he did his SP before I remembered. And I was too groggy to even react fully.

I still wish to see him skate live though.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Wow, so many spin errors. I know the jumps are king, but i miss having someone like Jason around to show nice spins...

Even Michael wasn't quite up to his best form in the spins today. Neither was Shoma. Grant was okay. I do miss Jason and Joshua's presence here. :(

-And Yuzu of course. ;)

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Checking the results and reading through a few posts here and I am really glad I went to bed after dance and shut off my alarm. So in both men and ladies the highest US placement in the SP was by an alternate. Ouch

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Checking the results and reading through a few posts here and I am really glad I went to bed after dance and shut off my alarm. So in both men and ladies the highest US placement in the SP was by an alternate. Ouch

Actually, that's not true for 4CC. Grant was always on the roster. It's Worlds where he got in as the alternate after Nathan's injury. Ross Miner was the alternate here for Adam.

da96103

Record Breaker

Sorry, that was my mistake in thinking Grant was alternate for Nathan. Nathan was not supposed to skate in 4CC even if he had not injured himself. Grant was in the original roster. Ross was alternate for Adam.

But you are right in saying the top skaters in SP 4CC were not the top 3 in US Nationals.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm on my phone and don't want to hunt all over the forum for this....but what happened to my man Denis? He's probably my underrated favorite, and 4CCs is HIS event (or it was last year.) Did he withdraw?

da96103

Record Breaker
Some comments from the Japanese Broadcast, Kevin Reynolds was interviewed in Japanese and they did a little special blurb for him. His Japanese is quite good! Better than Chris Reed by miles! He said he'd do his best in the free.

Kevin speaks Japanese? Wow, new respect for him.
Anyone who learns a language that they do not have do gains my admiration.

apple123

On the Ice
Why aren't we talking about Shoma's TES? It's so over scored. He pre-rotates jumps so much and has weak landing. Yet the judges showered him with GOE! What's fair?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
looking at protocols Yan Han's spin was invalidated - what happened?!

sorry if I'm repeating smth said earlier, I'm just mega curious about this...

andyjo24

Medalist
Why aren't we talking about Shoma's TES? It's so over scored. He pre-rotates jumps so much and has weak landing. Yet the judges showered him with GOE! What's fair?

I agree that the GOE for his jumps are way too high. His jumping technique is far, far from the best.

He's basically the "male Satoko Miyahara."

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thank Gawd I missed this apparent US and Canadian disaster. I would really like to hear if the skaters from the US and Canada are feeling jet lagged. There was hardly a decent skate from any of them. Maybe Gracie was right and they're untrained. I bet Adam and the others are feeling pretty smart right now.....

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank Gawd I missed this apparent US and Canadian disaster. I would really like to hear if the skaters from the US and Canada are feeling jet lagged. There was hardly a decent skate from any of them. Maybe Gracie was right and they're untrained. I bet Adam and the others are feeling pretty smart right now.....
Let's be honest though the top US skaters mihus Max are sitting at home injured with the exception of Adam. What other country has skaters like Jason, Josh, Nathan and Dornbush out with injuries? Most countries would kill to have that kind of talent as their first stringers but because of their injuries the 3rd spot is gone i'm sure.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Well, the US and Canada both did very well in pairs and dance but not ladies or men (at least in the SPs), so maybe it was an exchange? I mean, all the dance medalists were American or Canadian, and 60% of the pairs top 5 was as well, so maybe it had to happen?

Or maybe they'll both slay the FS?