2016 World Championships Ladies Free Skate | Page 141 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies Free Skate

Ophelia

Record Breaker
From the fancam video, it definitely looked like more than 1/4 of the audience stood up. Also, Hurrah never said she got a full one. ;)

By that argument, almost everyone in the last 2 groups got a "standing ovation", bc at least some part of the crowd stood up for those skaters.

You all can wax poetic all you want about Asada's speed and ice coverage through fancams, but my section was not impressed with her when we saw her live. She skates "small" and has average projection. She's extremely light, graceful, and airy, but her skating was slow/labored and she decelerated going into all of her jumps. She was one of my predisposed favorites going into the event, but now I can sort of understand why she gets lower PCS marks.

Evegnia is solid, but man she was crawling on ice in the 2nd half of her program.

Anna skates big and really stands out from all the other ladies, but her jump landings are really unattractive.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I'm pretty sure that Anna was pissed off by the score, she thought she was better than Ashley... her reaction in the K&C says it all.

It doesn't change the fact that she was rude in the ceremony.

Anna simply forgot. She forgot to hug Evgenia as well but as they were next to each other on the podium, she hugged her there. She was nervous and too excited.

Jackie Wong wrote in Twitter that Anna went straight to Ashely when she could and hugged her saying sorry that she forgot to do it back then, congratulating etc.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Word. I could never understand this lowballing of skaters in earlier groups. The whole point of IJS was supposed to be judges NOT holding back, waiting for the top flight. I could understand that for ordinal system but when a top skater unusually makes mistakes and ends up in an earlier flight,why hold back their PCS? What does someone's skating skills, interpretation, performance or execution have to do with their starting order?

And like someone said, Chan or Kostner have had awful performances in the past yet their PCS haven't suffered proportionally. Guess some judges will never learn to look beyond speed as the main criterion for PCS

I agree with this. There is something so ethereal and flowing about Mao. I think her PCS should be much higher even with mistakes - having seen her live I can honestly say she IS that good.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is the experience that fuels next year. Many have risen from the ashes of great disappointment to achieve their greatest success. The most dangerous skater next year is this one, the one who says I am not that skater anymore. Look for redemptive skates next year from Gracie, WeaPo, Alexa & Chris and many of the French skaters.

But this year was the year of the Firebird ;)

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Now I see how Maria became your fantasy wife.

Can we get a fan fiction of Mr Rice and Maria B please? Either from mrrice himself or one of you very talented writers roaming around these boards.

(Sorry i'm still slowly working my way through each post and each video.)

miki88

Medalist
By that argument, almost everyone in the last 2 groups got a "standing ovation", bc at least some part of the crowd stood up for those skaters

So by your argument, a skater only gets a standing ovation if everyone stood up at the end of the performance?

Also, no one is waxing poetics. PCS should be scored relatively and it's not like most of the other skaters don't decelerate going into jumps or skate all that faster either, with the exception of Anna. Gracie is fast but she made major mistakes. No one was skating at the speed of a Kostner so the gap in PCS, esp skating skills should be debated.

Last edited:

CCC

Rinkside
I have to complain one more time about Tara and Johnny as I am rewatching. Who on Earth hired these two? They talk way to much and they go straight to the weaknesses of the skater "here is this skater, she is not good at this and this and that. that was a good element but we would have to rewatch it. now she is doing this and that (very detailed description of everything, naming all the bloody jumps. i feel like blahblahblah... she is like blablah". OMG, I want to shoot myself! I think casual viewers' heads exploded, they are so unprofessional most of the time like two shallow girls sitting on a couch gossiping (to use a washed out comparison like they do all the time).

ITA. I watched IceNetwork for all events and Ice Desk Recaps. I appreciated the Ice Desk Team thoughtful, insightful and unbiased commentary, that allowed you to enjoy the performances. They mostly saved the technical and other key points for the replays, without chatting about nonsense during the performance. While I appreciated NBC covering the ladies LIVE, I wanted a mute button for Tara and Johnny.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
So by your argument, a skater only gets a standing ovation if everyone stood up at the end of the performance?

At least 2/3 is necessary condition to throw out that kind of statement and have it mean something.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you know that bald men look better in hats than men with hair? 'tis true, that's why Frank looks so excellent in his hat

It's a look of confidence in knowing once the hat is removed that hat head can not possibly exist. :cool:

mary01

Final Flight
I still can't believe Mao didn't ATLEAST medal for the amaazing performance she delivered last night, it seems like we viewers and the audience were watching something and the judges were watching something else when i look at her scores, and i'm still speechless when i think of how deflated her scores were at this event and the very strange tech calls she got here, something is really off with the scores she has been receiving, it just feels like they deliberately tried everything to keep her away from the medals, and i still cant get over how many points Ashley scores and Gracies suddenly rised at this event, the results and scores seem soo random and unpredictable!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just watched the competition from start to finish... OMG Ashley: goosebumps! I've rooted for you for such a long time. I'm so glad you kept on fighting. WORLD'S SILVER!!! There is no emoticon to show how extremely pleased I am for you. Happy tears... WOW! I hope you continue competing over 2018 olympics. Now just celebrate!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Wow... She doesn't seem to be taking this loss in stride at all.

"Once a choker, always a choker" I guess...

She should not be talking about "embarrassed" she is, she needs to focus on herself and not what others think.

Wait, you call her a choker and then say she shouldn't focus on what other people think? Really? Do you think criticism and comments like yours don't filter back in some way to the skaters so it's okay to be nasty?

Last edited:

CCC

Rinkside
Rika made me cry, I was so happy for her and enjoyed the skate so much! Thank you Rika!

Can we talk about Rika's Dress! How gorgeous was that! The stonework, the underskirt, the length. For me, it was perfection, that added so much elegance. Kudos to her team. Refreshing for a long program to have such upbeat music.

champs

Final Flight
Mao is not slow. If you compare her rink coverage to other skaters, you'll see that Mao's rink coverage is superb.

It's just that unlike younger skaters who generally does crossovers after crossover to accelerate and then boom, does something and then slows down, her speed and flow across the ice is constant and her blade is always doing something interesting.

It's a different style of skating to someone like Anna Pogo, but requires a great deal of skating skills that someone like Anna doesn't have.
I respectfully disagree. Especially on Anna's skating skills.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But this year was the year of the Firebird ;)

It's a perennial theme...following disappointments we got

The Shibs Fix You
Browning Casablanca
Wylie Henry V
Post Olympic Ashley
Post Olympic Mirai
Etc.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Anna simply forgot. She forgot to hug Evgenia as well but as they were next to each other on the podium, she hugged her there. She was nervous and too excited.

Jackie Wong wrote in Twitter that Anna went straight to Ashely when she could and hugged her saying sorry that she forgot to do it back then, congratulating etc.

Ah thank you,... i saw the tweet few minutes ago and i was coming here to edit my post but okay, now it makes sense :)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Sochi-level home cooking would be if Ashley scored 152 and won the gold :laugh:

Not really, in BV Sotnikova's program was objectively significantly more difficult than Yuna's and she had one triple more, after all. But most tend to enjoy ignoring this fact. Yuna winning would likely have been more controversial(ignoring the home field factor) as she had 1 triple less.

It would be Sochi-level home cooking if Medvedeva had popped a jump and Ashley then won. Which most people would likely call justified and Medvedeva would be over scored and winning unfairly if she in that case won. Funny how the tables would turn, eh?

Last edited: